Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

poop issues

Hi Moms -- has anyone dealt with a LO that had a lot of trouble pooping around 5-6 Weeks old, that magically resolved on its own? I know it's normal for all young babies to struggle a little bit when they poop, but over the past week+ my DD has been having an extra hard time. While she used to turn red-faced and grunt a lot when pooping, she now full out cries. It even wakes her up out of a dead sleep. It seems like more than just simple straining; she seems in pain. The odd thing is that she's not constipated -- she poops multiple times (5-6 at least) every day and it has never been hard or clay like. It is usually either mucousy or very wet, with seeds. I EBF. I started a no dairy/no soy diet last week, related to a couple flecks of blood found in her poop last Friday. But I'm not sure that's the cause of the problem. So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and can shed any light. Is this possibly just a phase that she will grow out of?

Thanks!

Re: poop issues

• Options
    I recently asked about a grunty baby and a few women suggested it could be gas. I've made a point to really burp DD well (DS was a much better burper so I had to not be as lazy about it as I was with him). That seems to have made a difference for her.
  • Options
    I was having the same kind of issues but from the start.  He's now 8 weeks BUT I've been on a no dairy diet (just regular strict dairy, not like stuff like cake or cookies which have dairy in them) and he has become like clockwork with his poops and having SO much of an easier time.  They say it takes at least 2-4 weeks until all the milk proteins are out of your system and their systems so give it some more time to see if it's the dairy/soy issue.  I had days when he would jsut be screaming and I didn't know why and then a little while later he'd have an explosive poop and he'd be fine again.  He still has some trouble towards the morning time.  Hang in a little while longer... you could also try gripe water.  I haven't had good results but a girlfriend of mine has with her 6 week old.  Good luck mama!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"