Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

6 month old missing milestones

Hi all 

I have an appt with the ped. next week to disuse this, but I'd be curious to hear what others think and if your ped. has answered similar concerns. 

My DS is 6 months old and he does not roll over, he cannot sit unassisted, and he cannot push himself up on his arms while on his tummy. We do plenty of tummy time, but most of the time he just lies there. 

He does have good strength in his lower body - he has been able to bear weight on his legs while standing since 2 months. 

Any thoughts? 

FWIW, he is 90th percentile for height and weight for his age, and has been since birth so I'n thinking since he's heavier it might be harder for him to move his body?  

DS #1 born 12.3.13
BFP #2 09.21.14 EDD: 06.06.15

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: 6 month old missing milestones

• Options
    Of course if at you're concerned about anything, that's what your doctor is there for.  That said, your expectations are off.  The first thing I noticed is that you say your LO is 6 months old and he's not yet.  I realize it's only a few days but you're pushing to see things that aren't expected of him yet.  Also, when you hear that something is a 6 month milestone, it doesn't mean they are expected to be doing it BY 6 months, it means by the END of 6 months which, for your son is almost 6 weeks from now.  

Personal story, not doing something isn't necessarily a problem.  My son is over a year now and honestly has rarely rolled.  He absolutely blew up that milestone lol I asked the doctor and she was clear that they're concerned if they are behind in several milestones of the same variety.  If he were to struggle with scooting, leaning, reaching, etc. they would have been concerned.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    DD only started sitting unassisted around 7.5 months. She did push off on her arms at about 3 months but at 9 months only now starting to bear weight on her legs. Its probably normal and your LO being behind on some milestones, he is probably ahead on others
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    All babies develop at different rates. It doesn't mean anything is wrong. Milestones are expected or average dates which babies achieve certain activities. Just like height and weight percentiles, there have to be babies who reach milestones both earlier and later than average. Don't worry until your doctor worries. Keep on doing tummy time to encourage LO to develop those muscles.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When my cousin was a baby, she wasn't rolling or crawling when she was "suppose" to.  Her mom brought her in for a whole bunch of tests and turns out nothing was wrong, just lazy! :)  She's 12 now and plays sports.  Nothing wrong at all!
    Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
    DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
    Due October 2015

• Options
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it!

DS #1 born 12.3.13
    BFP #2 09.21.14 EDD: 06.06.15

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"