March 2013 Moms
Options

Savings bonds, 529 Accounts

Anyone buy either of these? DH and I were discussing that even if we saved $1000 a year for DS that we wouldn't even be able to pay for a year of college so I'm looking at alternatives.

Re: Savings bonds, 529 Accounts

• Options
    Savings bonds aren't worth it because of the interest rate.  It takes so long for the bonds to mature.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We started a 529 for DD...I know I should have a monthly or regular contribution set up for it, but I just don't have it in the budget right now.  So far we just put any $$ she gets for gifts into it, and ask for funds for it for those that don't want to buy her toys/clothes for birthdays/holidays.

We talked to our financial planner about college...you don't even want to know how much he estimated 4 years of in-state tuition would be by the time she is 18...:-S
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    smfdjosmfdjo member
    I wouldn't do the savings bonds.  We do the 529 plan and do a monthly contribution.  It won't pay for all of it and I hope it is better than nothing. I say that because I hope that doesn't disqualify him from student loans.  
  • Options
    We also started a 529 for DS.  For the time being we are setting aside enough each month to pay for in-state tuition when he is 18, but with a new LO coming in October, we will probably have to drop that back to make sure both have money for college.  I cannot believe how much money will be needed.  It is insane!

;

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"