December 2012 Moms
Options

Sleepovers

Someone posted this on my other BMB, and I was curious what you ladies thought (mostly because I'm in the minority over there).

https://www.challies.com/articles/why-my-family-doesnt-do-sleepovers

I know that we're a couple years off, but I think that I was only like 4 the first time I was invited to spend the night at a friend's house, so not so far off.  My parents always had to know the friend and her parents (not like meeting them at the door for 2 seconds - actually know them, and there were some friends that always had to come to our house because my parents didn't trust theirs), the other parents had to be home (they checked with them first), and they had to know the plans if we were going out for say pizza too (and who would be driving, etc.).  All of that seems reasonable to me and are things that I'd insist on too.  I don't want to raise the girls in a bubble though, and want them to be independent enough that being away from us for a night is okay. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Sleepovers

• Options
    I didn't sleepover at other people's houses when I was small, but that's because I didn't do well with sleepovers- I'd get homesick in the middle of the night and want to go home. I don't know if times were different then, but if there were good enough friends to want to have a sleepover, they were good enough friends that we were back and forth to each others houses enough that our families knew each other and were fine letting us sleep over. As for DD, I don't have a problem letting her go to sleepovers, but it would need to be with a child and family I was familiar with, and I would want to see their home in advance, so i knew the environment she was going to.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sleepovers were a part of life! With friends, the softball team, even in high school. Yes, my parents knew the families. Some of my best memories. This is part of our society's paranoia about children being unsafe. Statisticslly, our children are safer today than we were in the 70s and 80s.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @SingleMom31 - I think I agree with your rules/ requirements. Am pretty certain that I would not allow co-ed sleep overs though, and if there was an older brother (depending on the span in ages & if had met or not, might lead me to be more conservative or offer for the friend to stay at our house.

Would also conaider camp outs (multiple famalies going camping or allowing LO to bring a friend to join us however probably would not allow the other way around)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jac409jac409 member
    We did a lot of sleepovers as kids, but I also lived in a very small town where everyone knew everyone. I think four is a little young, but we will allow it at some point as long as we know and trust the parents. I am more inclined to invite other kids to our house than I am to let her go to someone else's house I think. I think I am becoming a helicopter mom to some extent though. Never thought I would say that!
  • Options
    Just to clarify, the sleepover at four was with the girl next door. We "camped" in a tent in the backyard that both our parents could see. I'm pretty sure both dads watched, but it was sort of the point of it... We felt very grown up.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"