September 2013 Moms
Options

Allergist?

DS has an appointment with an allergist on Monday because of the food reactions he has been having. Has anyone taken their LO to an allergist? I am wondering what to expect. Skin prick test? Blood test? TIA

Re: Allergist?

• Options
    With my second they just did a specific blood test since the only change was to whole milk. Then blood test as he was older for others

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    amiefamief member
    We haven't had ours yet, as they want us to wait until he is older, but my dr is having us do blood work ahead of the allergist appointment and then told us to expect a skin prick test at the appointment.  I think it can vary from dr to dr. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @amief I was surprised that the pedi referred him. I thought he was a little young. The pedi wasn't sure how the allergist would want to proceed. I'm a little nervous.
  • Options
    Hey I know I have been MIA again for a long time... So much going on but I feel like I can add something of worth to this question so I came out of lurking! My DD has seen the allergist 3 times in the last 2mo. Her skin was so bad with rashes they did a blood test and found she was allergic to wheat, egg, milk, soy, peanuts, cats, and dogs. After that we got referred to the allergist. The allergist told us they don't do the pin prick test until 2 or 3. Things are not getting better with my DD so we are trying different things and praying for results. It was nice to atleast find out what was causing her issues and talk to a dr about it! Good luck and I hope you get better answers and results than we have!
  • Options
    @dukeblue27‌ Hi! Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your LO. That's a lot of allergies. I'm sorry. I'm afraid of the results TBH. What are you feeding your LO? Is she having to take medicine? Good Luck to you!
  • Options
    dukeblue27dukeblue27 member
    edited June 2014
    We feed her a lot of veggies we have found some fruits she is allergic to as well so I try to just stick to what we know she's ok with. She also eats a lot of rice puff things. I feel so bad because she doesn't get a lot of variety but I really don't know what else to do.... I know it's only going to get harder as she gets older :(

Edit: we also give her Zyrtec everyday that really doesn't do anything
  • Options
    @dukeblue27‌ This is pretty much us too. He nurses a lot and I have a few purees I feel ok about that he gets. I haven't tried anything new since the egg incident but we have still had 3 incidents of hives. It's scary!
  • Options
    We are in the same boat. My lil one had 5-6 different times where his entire face blew up with hives..once with formula, earths best puffs and eggs. Our pedi wants to do a blood test to test out the common food allergies. We are taking him this week. They don't do a scratch test until baby is older.

• Options
    @dukeblue27‌ are you breast feeding and if you are were you able to eat dairy? I am afraid that LO is allergic to dairy but I eat it all the time and it does not seem to bother him.

• Options
    kje120kje120 member
    We went a few weeks ago and they did the scratch test on his back. I question the validity of the results, though, because he had no reaction to peanuts with the test, but then I gave him peanut butter a week later and he broke out in hives.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Salemkitty13Salemkitty13 member
    edited June 2014
    Thank you ladies for responding. They gave him a skin test. He tested positive for wheat, oats, dairy, soy, egg, peanuts and tree nuts. Also cat, dog and dust mites. Everything they tested except corn and coconut. They recommended I extend breastfeeding. I need a beer (wait that has wheat, dang.) ETA Zyrtec for us too and an epi pen for emergencies
  • Options
    @dukeblue27‌ Which fruit does your LO react to? I want to stay away. I was told to avoid citrus fruits.
  • Options
    kje120kje120 member
    Is he reacting to things that you eat through your breastmilk?  I only ask because E tested positive for cow milk protein allergy, but I drink milk and eat yogurt all the time and it doesn't seem to bother him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes he is. Not real bad though because I never took wheat out of my diet. If I drink milk his eczema flairs up. I thought I was getting by with hidden dairy and some butter for cooking. The Dr. told me to eliminate it all. Ugh!!!
  • Options
    @aml8979 I was bfing but stopped when DD got her diagnosis I just couldn't cut all of that out of my diet. She was reacting to everything I ate. @Salemkitty13‌ she reacts to tropical fruits ie: kiwi, mango, pineapple, guava those are the ones we have tried and seen hives from.
  • Options
    @dukeblue27‌ Thanks. i will stay away from those. I'm allergic to kiwi and I think one of his mystery hive attacks was pineapple. 
    If you don't mind me asking what are you giving for milk? I just don't know how much longer I can realistically keep the super restrictive nursing diet up. I think I'll need a nutritionist. 
    BTW plum organics sells a teething biscuit that doesn't have wheat or soy.
  • Options
    @salemkitty13  I don't think that our case of eczema is food related, however, we went to a pediatric dermatologist because LO had awful patches of eczema that turned into sores and he's done a 180 with using a steroid cream for break outs.  We also have a non-steroid prescription cream for his less intense spots.  It's done wonders.
  • Options
    Thanks @Tally879‌. He has a prescription cream too. Cultivate, I think. What is your non steroid cream prescription cream? I really was surprised by all the allergies he wasn't colicky really and I never found blood in his stool. If he hadn't had the bad reaction to egg followed by mystery hives, I wouldn't know.
  • Options
    I feed her alamentum formula it stinks and it's crazy expensive but I have no other options! I have found things called mum mums and they have veggie and strawberry flavor my DD loves the heck out of those!
  • Options
    Thanks @Tally879‌. He has a prescription cream too. Cultivate, I think. What is your non steroid cream prescription cream? I really was surprised by all the allergies he wasn't colicky really and I never found blood in his stool. If he hadn't had the bad reaction to egg followed by mystery hives, I wouldn't know.
    He's on Elidel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"