1st Trimester

Finding an OB...

2Swanns2Swanns member
edited June 2014 in 1st Trimester
Did you find a new OB or is it one that you've been going to for a long time? If you found a new one, did you "shop around" to find one you felt comfortable with?

I had an initial appt (basically just blood work) and when I went in to get my labs slip, I was so put off by the place that I just up and left. I can't imagine spending the next nine months in that hole. So, I called a place that is associated with a reputable hospital in my city and it was like night and day! They were patient with me, took their time explaining how things will work, what they offer, etc. They were just so warm and welcoming. 

However, I will not have my initial appt until July 22nd, and there is a chance that it might not be the right fit for me. I haven't seen their facilities or met anyone there in person. Fingers crossed! I just moved to this area and don't know anyone that I can tell for recommendations...

What has been your experience in choosing your OB?

Re: Finding an OB...

• I have my first appointment July 21! I called my gynecologist who unfortunately retired from the OB side of her job! She referred me to an OB! When I called the receptionist was very friendly and took time to answer some of my questions I wanted answered right away since I had to wait till I'm 8 weeks along before they see me. I googled her and did not see one negative comment made! She has a great background to! I just hope she's as good as she is on paper. I know you gyno would not stear me wrong. I hope you have good luck finding someone perfect for you. Congrats mommy to be!
  • 2Swanns2Swanns member
    edited June 2014
    How great to have a referral! My practice also offers doctors or midwives - or you can be "co-managed." So much to think about...but I'll learn a lot at my first appointment. It starts out as a group appointment to teach everyone the do's and dont's, what to expect, things to think about, etc. and then you meet individually with a midwife to come up with your plan and schedule your future appointments.

Congrats to you as well!  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Well that sounds great! I hope everything at your first appointment is great. Good luck mommy!
  • I would go ahead to the appointment on 7/22 since they sounded promising on the phone.  If you don't like it then you still have the rest of your pregnancy to change.  One of the suggests I heard with my earlier pregnancies is to call the hospital you are planning to deliver at and ask the labor and delivery staff for suggests of OBs they like to work with

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I "found" one. I actually called the office looking for a different doctor that a co-worker had recommended. I found out when I tried to make the appointment that she was no longer delivering, so I told them to just give me someone else then.

I think my doctor is excellent at what she does, but her personality is a little dry - even for me who also has a dry personality. I'm not one to shop around for doctors though. All I care about is that she is going to get my baby here as healthy as possible. I don't really want her to be my BFF or anything.

Most doctors have reviews written by former patients online if you want to google their name.

• I have my first appointment July 21st! I haven't been in Colorado long and didn't have a gynecologist here yet. I surfed the Colorado board a little and got turned onto a birthing center and just called to make an appointment with an available doctor. I hope it goes well! I'm so nervous and excited!
  • I started going to mine 3 years ago for my yearly visits. I was in a new city and didn't know anyone to ask so I found one online with great reviews. After going and really liking them I discovered it was a very small practice (only about 4 doctors and 1 midwife). At my pregnancy appointment the midwife talked about how they kept it a small practice because they wanted to give a more personal experience to their patients. They have been great and if I ever move and need to find a new doctor I will be choosing another small practice!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"