October 2014 Moms

Help! How to sleep well

Hello, girls. I am new here. I am 23 wks pregnant. I graduated from medical school about one and half year ago, and now that I am pregnant I realize how little I actually know about pregnancy and birth! Now that my belly is a little bigger it's been so difficult for me to sleep well, I usually sleep turning to one side or facing down, obviously I can't sleep facing down anymore, but I can't either sleep tuning to one side! I feel terrible pain in my hip and shoulder, so I have to sleep facing upwards and there are times when I start coughing because my breathing is not optimal when sleeping that way, and moving is so difficult after being in that position for a certain amount of time. Plus, my husband already had sleeping disorder and besides the amount of time that he can't sleep, he wakes up everytime he feels that I have trouble accomodating my body or when I am coughing, and we are both sleeping less than ever. We are planning an appointment with a psychologist for his condition, as he has this problem from his childhood and have never treated, but for now I would like to know if you are going through something similar and what techniques do you use for sleeping comfortable. Thank you. Sorry if I use some incorrect terms, English is a second language for me.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Help! How to sleep well

• Welcome!

Can you try putting a thin pillow under one hip, and raising your shoulders a bit with an extra pillow or two, so that you can lay on your back but not flat, and be tilted to one side? That might help with breathing and feeling more comfortable.
    imageimage
  • Do you sleep with a body pillow or some kind of pillow? Having one between my legs makes it much easier to sleep on my side.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a body pillow that I put between my legs and under my belly if Im on my side. I also second putting a pillow under your back to tilt you over. I sleep that way too sometimes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only use one pillow for my head. I am afraid we have to buy more pillows...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I sleep with a baby pillow sometimes. Most of the time. I put light blankets bunched up between my knees and under my bump. DH is not a complete fan of it. But it helps me sleep. I have also gone to a Chiropractor to adjust me to sleep better which helps also.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I only use one pillow for my head. I am afraid we have to buy more pillows...

In the meantime (since it's nearly bedtime!), can you use a folded blanket or two to improvise? :)
    imageimage
  • I put a thick pillow between my knees and sleep on my side. You should find out if your insurance covers prenatal massages - then get a doctors note and go in for a massage. That might help with your pain. Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
    DH and I have been married 3+ years. This is our first PG, and we are thrilled! 
    Can't wait to meet our baby BOY, Mateo in October!!
  • I have always been a side sleeper but since early on my hips were killing me on my side, and I would have to flip onto my back after a few hours. I went for my first prenatal massage at around 19 weeks and she fixed it! My glutes were insanely tight and she said that it was likely the cause. Once she treated it, I don't have nearly as much hip pain at night. I've been stretching a ton before bed too, which also helps. Pillow between legs, definitely, and I also hug a pillow which I find helps to keep my chest open for good breathing.
    TTC Since August, 2013
    BFP#1 11/2/2013 EDD 7/14/2014 MMC discovered at 8w3d (baby stopped growing at 6w2d)
    BFP#2 2/4/2014 EDD 10/15/2014 please stick little one!

• I was having the same issues you were until my husband ordered me a pregnancy pillow.  I kind of thought they were silly and unnecessary until I had one of my own.  It holds me in the fetal position and prevents me from rolling back on my side.  My only problem with it is that it is a pain if you need to switch positions (I usually make it 4-5 hours before needing to turn to my other side).  I would try all of the other suggestions first since the pillows are about $40, but totally worth it if it helps you sleep!  Good luck!

• I was having sleep issues like yours until I finally caved and bought a a Snoogle (pregnancy body pillow) last week. It had helped a lot. Totally worth the money for me.
  • I have a snoogle, but have stopped using it in favor of just using 3 extra pillows. One between my legs, one under my belly and one under my shoulder. It seems to be a bit more comfortable as I've gotten bigger. Maybe try that? Also, I will agree with PP that prenatal massages have helped a lot.
  • MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I love my body pillow. Even the cheap one that I bought for $10 at Target is pretty versatile. I often prop up my head and shoulders with a couple of regular pillows and fold up the body pillow and put it under my knees so that I can lie on my back without being flat.

My husband also seems to suffer from disordered sleep. He thrashes around, snores, has nightmares all night, and cannot stand that he has to accommodate my pillows and sleep positions. He'd much rather be able to fold me up and use me as his body pillow! So I can kind of sympathize with your situation. But my husband is generally a heavier sleeper, so I can just elbow or nudge him until he rolls off of me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel so bad for yoy. I was the same way with my first pregnancy... Most nights I slept in the recliner. A pillow was a big help though for me. With this pregnancy, I am so exhausted at night from chasing a toddler all day that I sleep right through the night.
  • Every night is different for me, but I have definitely started using a pillow between my knees. We have several different types of pillows: thin, thick, soft and firm, so it's nice to have a selection depending on what my body wants. I also usually take Benadryl, but I had to check with my doctor on that one. 
  • I have a $10 body pillow from Target that works for me right now, although my hips are starting to hurt a bit more.  I'm hoping I can make it to the end with this pillow because I don't really want to spend the $ on a more expensive pregnancy pillow.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • I watched this video last week because my hips and lower back hurt when I was waking up. Make so much sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8-z6FXYn7E

Prepregnancy I slept either on my belly or my side with a king size pillow between my legs. What I do now is squeeze 2 king size pillows into one case to make it really firm (none of the pregnancy pillows seemed firm enough for me) It helps keep my hips level during the night. I also bought the boppy wedge for under my belly to keep it from dragging downward. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DJP2T8E/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1404140242&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40
    It kinda sucks to have to rewedge it under my belly when I switch positions (a few times a night) but my back doesn't hurt in the morning and I think I slep more soundly.

I haven't had any shoulder pain so can't help with that, but it does sound like a head pillow issue. Hope all this helps. It helped me!
  • I hate my Snoogle too.

Last pregnancy I ended up at the chiro to help my hips and back. I'm about to head there again, at least I made it this far.

What helps for me is diphenhydramine or doxylamine. not idea but chronic sleep deprivation is just...killing me.
  • I agree with PP's get a body pillow and an extra pillow for your head. You really don't need to get a pregnancy specific pillow.

Next time you are bed shopping I have a sleep number bed and I love it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Thank you all. Hereis my update: Last night I got a massage from my husband (that was the closest thing I could get to a prenatal massage for now), then I used a bigger pillow for my head, a thin pillow for my belly and a rolled towel for my legs... Still not big difference in the pain, but I could sleep through most of the night! I turned sides a few times and didn't cough, as I didn't have to sleep facing up. Still not there, but now I am close to sleep better. The video was very helpful on how should My legs be positioned, I will try it, and I will go shopping some more different pillows.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • A body pillow is the only thing that seems to help these days.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm usually a light sleeper that is constantly flopping around in bed. My husband bought me a Snoogle and I LOVE it. Worth the money for sure. Since then I have slept much better than expected. I was in a car wreck 2 years ago that I still have issues from in terms of pain in hips, neck and back. I see a chiropractor to help. Your body is changing and for me, those two things are key. I have difficulty breathing as well if sleeping on my back. If one of the ladies is offering their Snoogle you should try it.
  • I've always been a stomach sleeper as well. Now I sleep sorta on my side and sorta on my stomach. I also take benadryl! The doctor says this is absolutely fine. (I've always had terrible insomnia). 

They also have those snoogles you can purchase on Amazon!
  • Well the only thing that works for me is to sleep in a recliner chair with a bunch of pillows. I had my husband move a recliner chair into our room so I could be with him still...it works great and I get much needed rest! :-) 
     Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and Grandma to 1 (so far!) YES we would love to have more! 
    Baby #9- It's a GIRL!!  Born Oct 1st 2014!!

Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus!

• Well, after looking for body pillows on Amazon, I realized that I've got one for long time: My husband! lol. 
    Body pillow
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"