October 2014 Moms

What names were on your parents lists?

Totally stealing this from the Sept 14 board, but it seems fun! What names did your parents have picked out when they were pregnant with you? Any stories behind your name?

My parents thought I was going to be a boy, and my name would have been Joshua. They actually didn't have a girls name picked; so with the nurses help, they came up with one after I was born. They liked Sarah, but a nurse suggested Jennifer. So they put the two together and got Jenna.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What names were on your parents lists?

• This is cute!

They didn't have a boy name picked out for for me. They decided on Danielle. They wanted a 'D' to name after my great grandma. My middle name is Grace. It goes with the theme in our family. Sisters middle name is hope.
    I've always been Dani though!
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• My mom wanted Danielle or Jennifer, my dad wanted Jill. My mom didn't like that, but did like Jillian, so that's my name.

If I was a boy, I would've been Jonathan.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
  • Loading the player...
  • narabugnarabug member
    edited June 2014
    I'm Katherine, just because my mom liked it. MN is Margaret after my grandmother and great grandmother. I would have been Michael Scott if I was a boy. Don't know of any reason for the boy name.

My brother is Stephen Monroe after my dad's brothers. Their middle names. He would have been Rachel Fields if he was a girl. Don't know of a reason for Rachel. Fields is a family name on my moms side, not sure whose though.
  • I think Hazel and Inez were at the top of the list for them (family names)  if I had been a boy I think I would have been the 5th like my poor brother ended up being!

• Right until I was born, I was supposed to be Heather.  However, almost everyone my Mom knew with a baby girl used the name "Heather", so they changed it right before I was born.

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• My mom had major surgery while pregnant with me which almost killed me. She wanted to name me Miracle.

I'm glad she didn't ;)
    She loved the name Brittany. Until she got home and realized how common it was! I'm still a Brittany though..
  • They didn't have a name for me until I was born. No ultrasounds back then unless it was deemed necessary by the doctor.

Apparently my mom loved the nickname Suzie but my dad hated it. He named me because he really liked the name Amy, but my mom said she always names her baby dolls Amy so when he said it she completely agreed.

• femailfemail member
    lrobi13 said:

I think Hazel and Inez were at the top of the list for them (family names)  if I had been a boy I think I would have been the 5th like my poor brother ended up being!

My maternal grandmother (who passed away years before I was born) was named Hazel, so I tried to convince DH to use that name for our girl. He wouldn't budge. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My parents also thought I was a boy based on heart rate. Her doctor kept saying nope there's no way this is a girl, it's 100% a boy. You need to just buy all boy stuff. My mom was pretty disappointed since I have 3 older brothers. When I came out and they said girl my mom had to see it for herself! They were going to name me Jared. 
  • Right until I was born, I was supposed to be Heather.  However, almost everyone my Mom knew with a baby girl used the name "Heather", so they changed it right before I was born.

That's funny. I wasn't supposed to be Heather.... my mom loved the name but my dad hated it. In fact he vetoed it for my older sis. According to legend, however, my dad took one look at me and said, "she looks like a Heather" and that's my name. I've never been sure if that was a good thing or bad thing that I look like a name he hated.....

• Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited June 2014
    My mom wanted to name me Sarah Lee but my dad vetoed it (thank goodness!!). If I was a boy, I would have been Joseph. Not telling what my real name is because it's uncommon/unique, and I don't want to give away my identity. :-$
    imageimage
  • My mom liked ruby for me but my dad hated that name n when he told my mom the reason why she let it go and being the second child they went with what sounds good with the first i guess my sister is clarissa they named me marissa lol
  • My mom wanted to name me Ariel. I'm glad that didn't happen. The Little Mermaid came out when I was 4 and the two would've been forever linked.
  • My parents love names that start with E. My older sister has an E name and so do I. If I was a boy, I would have been Evan and if my sister were a boy she would have been Elliot. When my dad found out we're having a boy, he requested that we consider Evan. Sorry Dad, we've already decided on Calvin.

• My name is gender neutral and my parents were going to name me the same thing whether I was a boy or a girl.
  • edited June 2014
    My Dad always wanted 3 girls and the names Roxanne, Rachel and Rebecca. He had 3 girls. But none of us have any of those names.  :)) If I was a boy, I was to be named Joel. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ooo fun! My best friend's name is Jenna :)

My father wanted to name me after himself. Raymond III, but my mom was like.... the fuck? So he put Rae for my middle name without her knowledge. She submitted an amendment so that my name was Aimee Renee. My mom also liked Alexandria. I think I would have liked that more. I would have gone by Alex. Now I have to explain my name to everyone since it has an accent and we use the french pronunciation. Like Renee, but Amay. So my name kind of rhymes.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• I know I would have been Matthew had I been a boy, but I have no idea what other names my parents toyed with.
  • femail said:
    lrobi13 said:

I think Hazel and Inez were at the top of the list for them (family names)  if I had been a boy I think I would have been the 5th like my poor brother ended up being!

My maternal grandmother (who passed away years before I was born) was named Hazel, so I tried to convince DH to use that name for our girl. He wouldn't budge. :(

Both DH and I have grandmothers named Hazel (my was a great who died before I was born but his grandma is still alive and winning contests at the nursing home).  We probably won't use it because he apparently doesn't like old fashion names but I think it was be nice. 

If the next one is a girl the name choices will be more heated.  This time we went with a obvious tribute.

• miriamm08miriamm08 member
    edited June 2014
    My mom picked my name because she played the tambourine at our church, and Miriam in the bible played the tambourine and danced. She told my dad it was a joyful name:)

ETA for spelling

Pregnancy Ticker

“I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.”
    ― Audrey Hepburn

• Heartwood0519Heartwood0519 member
    edited June 2014
    I don't think my parents had any other names picked out besides what they named me, Erin.  I really like my name, I think it fits well with my personality and it's not too terribly common.  If I were a boy, my name would be Robert after my grandfather.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My parents had 4 names that they were choosing from. They kept going back and forth and it wasn't until I was born that they decided on one. The funny thing is that they didn't give me a middle name even though they struggled so much to just pick one first name. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• My dad wanted me to be Ryan Michael if I was a boy.  My mom wanted me to be Arpad Wielock if I was a boy.  I ended up being a girl (thank god) and now I'm Karen Jeanine.  No idea where my name came from.  I have an aunt named Karen so maybe that's it.  But I mean....Arpad Wielock (also I'm not sure if that's how you spell the middle name) come oonnnnnn.
    Baby J #2 due 11.12.16
    Sydney Elizabeth born 9.24.14

• My parents thought I was a boy based on the heart rate theory, which apparently their doctor also subscribed to back then. I would have been Colin if I were a boy. I don't think they had any other girl name ideas. I like Colin. It's similar to my name, in that it's recognizable but not super common (keeping it quiet for privacy reasons).
    Me: 30 H: 30, Married Since 10/2010, TTC #1 in 12/2013, BFP 2/13/2014, Baby M 10/16/14
    It's a girl!
  • My dad loved the Charlie's angel's tv show and I guess one of the actress' real name was breanna. My dad liked the actress and so that was the girl name they chose.

If I would have been a boy my name was going to be Logan. My husband jokingly calls me Logan if he thinks I'm acting like a guy. Lol
  • Cantisa said:
    I was to be Nicole until my cousin stole it apparently, but instead I am named after a talk show host from the 80s now. 
    Sally Jesse is that you? ;)
  • JJsMumJJsMum member
    edited June 2014
    If I was a boy I would have been Gordon Ramsey (no joking!) LastName, Gordon was my dad's middle name, and Ramsey was the name of the man who raised my dad after he was kicked out of his mom's house at 12 (different times man!).  So glad I was a girl!  

My parents were going back and forth between Lindsey and Kimberly for a girl.  A week before I was born, my mom met a woman who's daughter, Kimberly, was a major brat.  And so Lindsey I am!  I hate the name though, I've met way too many Lindseys.  Until I was about 23 I went by my middle name.  Started a new job in a new country, and the name Lindsey just stuck I guess.  No matter how much I corrected people, they still called me by my first name.  Now my DH (I met him during this time) says that he can't imagine calling me anything else, so Lindsey I will remain...

Edit: Spelling
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• My name was going to be Ashley Deene or Levi Tate if I was a boy. But then a couple weeks before I was born, my mom was watching the Bill Cosby show and he was wearing a Morgan University sweater and she changed her mind.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • femailfemail member
    lrobi13 said:

Cantisa said:

I was to be Nicole until my cousin stole it apparently, but instead I am named after a talk show host from the 80s now. 

Sally Jesse is that you? ;)

This was the first thing I thought of too!! Hi Sally!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My parents jokingly tell me that I was going to be named "Ramona" (not because it's a bad name, but because it doesn't go well with my maiden name). If I was a boy, I would have been Eric.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Mildred Dell and William Pou ("pew") were my dad's top choices.  Luckily my mom convinced him, while watching a Pepsi commercial, that Lauren would be much nicer.  Especially since his middle name is Laurens.  THANKS MOM!!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• My dad loved the name Samantha but my mom wasn't too keen. They were unsure on boys names (my mom was convinced I was a girl and she was right) but had picked out Steven and Stuart and possibly Sam as possibilities (sensing a theme?) - I was given S for my mom's dad (who died a few years after I was born) and my sister F for my mom's mom (who died before we were both born). Ultimately my mom came up with Stacey and while my dad still preferred Samantha, she won. (Here's the fun part - my sister got Faith and my middle name is Hope - we are both convinced my parents were planning a third (come on, charity had to be in their brains) but they deny it still to this day).

Lilypie - (urRB)

• I was going to be Cerridwen, but pronounced incorrectly with a soft c "SSS" sound, like Serridwen, and called Seri. My siblings hated it...Julie was also on the list, but they just liked Megan.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was supposed to be either a Raeleen (we are NOT from the south) or a Jeanine, but my Aunt had a little girl first and Jeanine became my cousin's mn, so I became another very popular name for the very late 70's. It's super popular for that time period. In my graduating H.S. class there were like 5 of us and all throughout elementary I was referred to as first name and last initial  (ie: Jane D.)

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• linnae939linnae939 member
    edited July 2014
    They totally thought I was a boy. My older brother was supposed to be Eric Jonathan, but ended up being a Jeffrey Jr., so I was to be Eric Jonathan or Timothy Jonathan. My cousin Timmy was born three weeks before me and his mom and my mom did not talk until I was born a girl and the stealing of the name was moot. If I was a girl they were throwing around Jennifer Michelle or Stephanie Michelle...then on the way to the hospital my mom decided those were too popular, and I am so glad she changed her mind! ( no offense to all the Stephanie and Jennifers!) and stopped at their papergirl/babysitters house and asked if they could use her name if I was a girl! I LOVE my name (except in third grade...I went by Micky for some reason...which is ironic because that nickname was the main reason Michelle got relegated to middle name territory)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• starybstaryb member
    My parents had a ton of girl names but the only one I know (other than my own) is Meg, but they nixed it because Megan rhymed with our last name. If I was a boy I would have been Joel. DH would have been Heather.

• Sockgnome78Sockgnome78 member
    edited July 2014
    My parents had 3 girl names picked out. Miranda, Samantha, and Amanda. Since I was breached and came out by c - section and a pop. My dad got to choose. My name is very common and I remember going through school with 2 to 3 others in the class. I also had to do NN plus last name. I had a NN until I moved. Them went by my real name and have not run into that many people with the same name.
    I also have a cousin with the same name that my mom said my aunt stole and my parents liked they they kept it in the running.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"