December 2013 Moms

Sensitive teeth?

sportsmommasportsmomma member
edited July 2014 in December 2013 Moms
Anyone else having dental problems postpartum? I had to get two fillings on upper molars and now have terrible tooth sensitivity in two bottom molars. Eating has lost all joy since anything cold, hot, sweet or acidic causes terrible pain. I saw the dentist a month ago and he suggested sensodyne toothpaste (hasn't helped) and made it out like it was not a big deal, but the next step would be root canal if it continued to bother me.

Anyone else suffering or have suggestions? It seems LO/hormones did a number on my teeth/gums! I'd really like to avoid a root canal if I can.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Sensitive teeth?

• My cleaning a few months ago was almost unbearable. The dentist recommended Sensodyne Enamel toothpaste, so I'm giving that a whirl. He said that once you start using it, you can't stop or it will lose the effectiveness. I'm not sure of the net results since I don't go back until Sept, but its worth a shot!

• ans5 said:

Do your bottom teeth in pain correlate with your top fillings? 

If your bite is off it can cause a lot of sensitivity. Maybe ask your dentist to check and adjust your bite. You would be amazed at the things we do to our teeth when we sleep, so even if you don't notice biting strange during the day, you could be at night.
    I'm going to call today and ask. I honestly can't remember exactly which molars it was that got fillings, but this would make sense.
  • Loading the player...
  • I ended up with a root canal about 2 months postpartum. First one in my life :(

• Pregnancy ruined my teeth. I had a couple of fillings pre-pregnancy and now I'm looking at around $5500 in dental work including a root canal and crown and fillings. I have always taken really good care of my teeth and did while pregnant but they are awful now!
    photo 3b8889a2-29d1-4e36-a8c8-89262b6154a2_zps44ee5850.png
  • I ended up with a root canal about 2 months postpartum. First one in my life :(

The internet has terrified me of this procedure...how bad was it?
  • Btw, I feel like a total B lovetitting the fact that all our tooth suck but really appreciate the responses. Also, while I wouldn't wish this on anyone, the whole misery loves company deal...

The internet has terrified me of this procedure...how bad was it?
    Mine wasn't bad at all and I even had an extra root in there. I don't get my crown until next week and I had the root canal on April 30th, which was a bad idea. I broke my tooth about 3 weeks after the root canal! So be very careful between the root canal and crown!
    photo 3b8889a2-29d1-4e36-a8c8-89262b6154a2_zps44ee5850.png
  • My teeth have always been sensitive - they've had spots that receeded a bit. I think braces were to thank for that. But they have for sure gotten worse since the LO. I always use sensodyne and they even painted a coating on them last visit. But I don't think it helped much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"