April 2014 Moms
Options

Back to work ladies.. How is it going?

This is my last week at home and it's bittersweet. A part of me is excited to go back but a huge part of me is so sad. I feel like I'm going to not "know" my baby anymore and vice versa. I'd love to hear how things are going for those of you who are back. Do you still feel like you get a lot of bonding time with LO? How are the morning and night routines going? If you are breastfeeding, how is pumping going? I would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly so those of us going back soon know what to expect.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Back to work ladies.. How is it going?

• Options
    I've been back for a week. Pumping is going ok but it takes longer than I expected to get enough to leave for the next day. Daycare is going well. Cora is doing great. It took all my willpower the first day not to leave work and go get her though. It makes me sad that by the time I get home it's almost her bedtime, but I snuggle her a little extra in the morning and let her sleep the first couple hours on me. Honestly I think it's been a lot harder for me than for her. Each day was a little easier though.
  • Options
    ksulliksulli member
    This is my 3rd day, I did 2 days last week, 2 this, and then 5 the next. It's been okay. Peeing when I need to go and eating when I'm hungry is nice. Also feels good to shower and put on real clothes first thing (although I don't put on my shirt until walking out the door, just a cami till then).

Sucks leaving them all day. But I LOVE our care provider, so that helps. And we've been with them for 3 years, and my 3yo gives me a report on the day every day (with some strange details, like 'Omar yelled and woke my baby up"). Mornings are surprisingly easy.

Pumping has been fine, but either LO hates the bottle or I have an over supply- she takes 9oz give or take and I pump 20oz give or take. So I'm not sure what the plan is there- stick with it so I can quit pumping sooner- but then she's on bottles breast milk daytime too; try to bring the supply down- but then what if it tanks later and I have nothing left... I put all the attachments in the fridge with my milk between sessions so I don't have to wash/wipe between. Way easier that way.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I went back a week and a half ago. Last week was only 3 days and this week is only 3 days. I have a couple more half weeks and then it's back to my crazy schedule. Ugh! Daycare is going ok.  We took him for a trial the first week I was back and leaving him was awful. I wanted a break for a weeks and then when I dropped him off and had several hours to myself to do whatever, all I could think about was going to pick him up.  I cried for almost the whole time he was there.  When I actually went back to work, DH dropped him off at daycare because I have to leave before it opens and that was actually a whole lot easier because I didn't have to say goodbye and leave him at daycare.  It does make picking him up and seeing that sweet smile that much better.  He's always super happy to see me and I love it.  Unfortunately, after 2 weeks of DC, DS already has a cold. I'm 99% sure that the drainage has caused ear infections, so off to the dr we go today as soon as I get off work.  I hope this isn't the start of a trend... I figured he would at least wait longer than 2 weeks to start his "I'm sick all of the time because I'm in daycare" phase.

• Options
    I went back part time (3 days a week) starting June 9, and this is my first week back full time.  It was not as hard as I thought it was going to be, to be honest.  My SIL is watching the LO, so I have a bit of comfort knowing that shes in great hands.  I did a lot of mental preparation, kind of being my own cheerleader -- "it will be nice to have adult-conversations", "its nice that I can get up and go to the bathroom without worrying about a crying baby", "i'll love going out for lunch", and things like that.  When I get home its all about the baby, and then when she goes to bed, its all about the hubby.  Its worked out really great so far.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been back to work for about 3 weeks and honestly it's worse on my almost 2 year old. The first week was fine but after that he cries when I leave his temper once he's home is awful he's turned evil on me. :-(
  • Options
    I've been back for 2.5 weeks and while I miss my little guy while I'm at work, I'm so happy to be back. We're slowly transitioning him into daycare, H took a week off and then our moms have been rotating. I miss leaving him in the mornings, but I know he's having fun with grammy and I so look forward to the end of the day and seeing him. I wasn't happy being home 24/7 and it was starting to get to me, so now instead of feeling all cooped up without a break, I look forward to the weekends when I get to be with him 24/7.

Pumping is going well, I'm able to match his bottles perfectly (he's eating 4oz 3x which is exactly what I pump). I'm kind of afraid once he starts eating more though. 
    ~Chrissy 

• Options
    Not back yet but looking forward to it. DS is not easy and takes short naps and then is a mess end of day. Maybe daycare can do a better job with him then I can. Naps drive me insane and I just don't feel like I'm enjoying my leave. Of course if I gonback early I'll have a ton of mommy guilt but I'm just really not happy at home.
  • Options
    I'm going back tomorrow. While I am thrilled to have adult conversation and see my coworkers, I'm sad to leave Mason.

Luckily, my Mom is watching him so I know he'll be well cards for...I'm just bummed BC I'll have the AM with him this week and by the time I get home, my fiancé will have him fed and headed to bed. :(

The hardest part? I'm vacation relief at work...which means that my hours/ days off will vary week to week.
  • Options
    I've been back to work for six weeks now. Heavy sigh. But, while I was on maternity leave our agency decided to go on a hiring spree and there is no longer room for me at the office, so boss man is having me work from home. I was thrilled at first, but quickly discovered it was really, really hard to be a good Mommy and a good worker at the same time and close to impossible to schedule calls with clients and meetings. So LO is in daycare five hours a day. I'm slowly getting over the guilt of being home without him. It's so hard to pump though when I'm in the office, because I don't have a desk or place to pump, so I'm worried about keeping supply up. But, we are making it work. I spent so much time stressing over everything, but I'm learning that adaption is the key to parenthood.
  • Options
    @Starfish+77‌ I had the same feeling that daycare can help DS nap better and have more of a routine. It took him a few days but started to sleep really long for them! Their notes of his schedule help me know what to expect on the weekends and it's made our lives easier.
  • Options
    Today was my first day back and it wasn't all that bad! Leaving him at daycare was rough- especially since he was crying but I somehow manage to hold myself together. I called to check on him at lunchtime and they reassured me that he was doing great! I knew he would be ok though- his sister and her AMAZING teacher are right across the hall and very protective!

Pumping went pretty well although I didn't yield as much as I thought I would. I sent in 4 oz bottles today and it was a bit too much so I am hopeful that the 3 oz bottles I pumped today will be enough.

Overall it is just a learning period right now and I know that it will only get easier. Good luck ladies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    lcr23lcr23 member
    Today was my first day back. I was ok leaving and for most of the day but once I was getting filled in on things I wanted to run out of the door. I've been there 4 years and before I left for maternity leave I wasn't happy but thought I'd come back "refreshed" and over my issues. Big ole nope!
    Also pumping at work was kind of a pain but I'm sure I'll feel better about that at least.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"