Single Parents

When/How to start a paternity suit?

I am only 14 weeks but the father of my baby has left me.  Someone told me I needed to start a paternity suit before the baby is born so that payments will start right away, but I didn't know that was even an option.  how do I go about doing that?  When should I do that?

Thanks!

Re: When/How to start a paternity suit?

• I dont have a lot of experience with thi. Legal aid or a lawyer will give you the best answer possible to this question
  • I'm sorry I don't have experience but I would consult an attorney. Good luck
  • Loading the player...
  • I went through DHR and told them I wanted to establish paternity (even though I knew he was the father) and wanted to set up child support payments. If you can't afford a lawyer, it's a good way to go, but it's a slow process. They will set up a court ordered DNA test after your child is born. I agree you should start right away, I waited until my daughter was 3 months old and I shouldn't have waited.
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• There isn't much you can do before the baby is born except educate yourself on exactly what to do immediately after birth... unless you are hiring a lawyer and even then they can't do anything for you until baby is born.
  • Check with the hospital you are delivering at. I was in your position with my oldest and the hospital did one for me shortly after I delivered when BF showed up at the hospital.  The cost was included in my hospital expenses and insurance acutally covered part of it.  It was a tense situation and I was glad to have the nursery to send my DS to, security to keep him away and the hospital to hide out in for a few days.  BF is a special type of crazy that only appears once you get knocked up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @designchica - is he claiming that he is not the father?  I don't know if that makes a difference or not... But also, make sure you document everything he does/doesn't do in case you need that in court, too.  Sometimes the crazy takes some time to manifest and if you hang out on this board, you'll see what I'm talking about.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • tig594tig594 member
    You may not be able to do anything until your LO is born.  However, you should definitely start doing your homework and start your petition for support/paternity AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.  My DD is 15 months old and I'm still waiting for support to be enforced and BD signed off on paternity before we even left the hospital.  I know this isn't the case for everyone but it's better to be safe than sorry. I file for support when she was a week old.  Also, if you can swing it, get an attorney.  You should also do your homework on attorney's to make sure you get the best one you can afford.  
  • Most place you have to wait until baby is born. Look at what the requirements are to add his nane to birth cert. I'm in IL and I met with a lawyer before hand just to see the scenarios. In IL though the state will seek CS for you so I didn't need one. Feel free to PM me if you want to know the details of my story.

Sorry this is what you're dealing with, but truly it's better that he left now as opposed to when baby is 14 weeks old.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"