January 2015 Moms

water park

Saturday we are going to Kentucky to visit some family who are stationed there. We have had plans for quite some time to go to hurricane bay in Kentucky kingdom. This is my third child and with my last ob I was told just to use common sense. This time however the nurse said at their practice the ONLY thing they OK for any pregnant woman is the wade (shallow) pool. Not even the lazy river or anything with a tube. I obviously have no intention of riding any crazy water slides but nothing? What do you think?

Re: water park

• There is an awesome water park right by my house called Water Country USA and I've been a couple of times already this summer. I don't do the water slides and other rides, but I have been relaxing in the lazy river and things. I haven't had any problems at all, and the water has even helped to relieve some of the round ligament pain and pressure I've been feeling. The "weightlessness" makes me not ever want to get out of the water! I would say that you'll be fine in the lazy river and wading pools and such, just don't do anything too crazy and remember to stick to the shade if there is any.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Use common sense. I would only avoid attractions where a huge rush of water would go up my hoo goo. Baby os low enough in pelvis I would do tube slides, but that's my comfort level.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you I was so confused. I think I'm going to do what I've done before just use my brain.
  • I was considering a couple of the tube slides. Honestly I was kind of thinking of its safe for my two year old it should be OK right?
  • I just almost spit out my drink at the idea of getting stuck in a tube. Thank you for that lol
  • I think you're fine. You've been pregnant before, and you know what you can handle/what to expect.
    Make sure you stay cool and hydrated, and have fun! I can't imagine any problems with something as tame as a lazy river could hurt, but I suppose they say no just in case. If I were you, I'd go and enjoy the lazy river and any other gentle activities. PP is right, the weightlessness of swimming while pregnant is AH-MAZING! Especially during 3rd tri!
    Signed, Momma of two Aug babies....

Adding one last thing.... We vacation every year at the lake with lots of water activity, and my OB has only ever told me to avoid water skiing or jet skis. (Even in 3rd tri!)
  • Thank you all this is so reassuring! I didn't want to have to avoid everything... And honestly it didn't make sense to me
  • thompnia said:
    Use common sense. I would only avoid attractions where a huge rush of water would go up my hoo goo. Baby os low enough in pelvis I would do tube slides, but that's my comfort level.
    Ditto^ I went back a few weeks ago. My OB said nothing about waterparks being off limits. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I was at a water park the other week.. two of them. I stayed to tube slides and pools I didn't make it to the lazy river but would have. I stayed away from the mat slides since you go down on your belly and you hit like ridges and I thought those would be uncomfortable.

• My doctor and nurse told me the exact opposite. Their advice was anything (even water slides) except for a slip and slide (avoid risk of belly trauma). We went to Great Wolf Lodge at 34 weeks and I just avoided the public jacuzzi (ewwww)

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • I'm going to guess that your doctor/nurse is covering THEIR own ass in case something happens.  the good ol' malpractice lawsuit.

There are usually signs at each of the entrances of rides and slides on whether or not the park feels it is safe for pregnant women to ride, so I would just follow those guidelines and or your own common sense. 

Be sensible and have fun!  

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm sure they were just covering themselves! Now my husband is saying I should just listen to them... Thanks nurse ugh... I Will def be having fun with my family
  • Seriously, they said no to the lazy river!?!? That is crazy. That is the most mellow thing a person can do. They are definitely just covering their asses.

• I was in the lazy river two weeks ago at Sesame Place! My doctor said it was more than fine, I just had and ultrasound today and the baby was perfect! You are basically just laying on a tub! My doctor said I could go on rollercoasters if I wanted too! (I didn't but E is not even two yet). My point being I think you would be fine, but if you want just call and ask the DOCTOR, not the nurse. 
  • the nurse realizes that there are water aerobics classes many gyms offer specifically for pregnant women, right?  i didn't realize getting wet was so detrimental to pregnancy.

seriously.  if it's safe for your 2yo i'm sure it's safe for you, if you're not on bedrest or something.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • I'm not on bed rest or pelvic rest. My ob told me at the first appointment that swimming was encouraged I don't know why this would be different?
  • I take my kids to schlitterbahn almost every weekend because we have season passes. I go on the lazy river and the floaty tube things but not the slides.
  • DD and I have season passes to our local water park and I do the lazy river and the slides for older kids, not the huge ones, but the ones that are safe for her to go down while sitting on my lap. Never thought twice about it.
  • I asked my doctor about water parks 2 weeks ago.  She told me at this point, i could even do roller coasters if I wanted to.  Her only cautions were speed slides and body slides.  Tube slides she said were fine, family slides were fine.  Lazy river and wavepool were more than fine, even later in the pregnancy.   
    Me: 34    DH: 28.  Married Jan 2012.  Started TTC Jan 2014.  Got our first BFP April 28th. Baby Boy Born: December 24 2014

Grow! photo leela_grow.gif
  • My OB says judge the risk as far as rides go but sticking your butt in a tube and floating around the river is safe! Enjoy your trip :)
    January J'15 Siggy Challenge: Baby FAILS

Pregnancy Ticker
  • AlfiesMOM said:
    I was in the lazy river two weeks ago at Sesame Place! My doctor said it was more than fine, I just had and ultrasound today and the baby was perfect! You are basically just laying on a tub! My doctor said I could go on rollercoasters if I wanted too! (I didn't but E is not even two yet). My point being I think you would be fine, but if you want just call and ask the DOCTOR, not the nurse. 
    @AlfiesMom - That's funny, I was just at Sesame Place the other week, too. The line for the Lazy River was insane. I was a little sad.
  • AlfiesMOM said:
    I was in the lazy river two weeks ago at Sesame Place! My doctor said it was more than fine, I just had and ultrasound today and the baby was perfect! You are basically just laying on a tub! My doctor said I could go on rollercoasters if I wanted too! (I didn't but E is not even two yet). My point being I think you would be fine, but if you want just call and ask the DOCTOR, not the nurse. 
    @AlfiesMom - That's funny, I was just at Sesame Place the other week, too. The line for the Lazy River was insane. I was a little sad.
    We rented a Cabana because there were 6 adults so we got to go right in! It was so worth it just to skip that crazy line!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"