Baby Names
Options

The third...?

kwikwi8181kwikwi8181 member
edited June 2014 in Baby Names
DH is Gary Kenneth II . Obviously Gary Kenneth III is in the mix for names. Too much for a kid? Names too old fashioned?? I can't imagine calling my newborn Gary, but I am totally in support of the name as a whole. FIL is obviously Gary but has gone by nickname Bucky since childhood. Would love to have a nickname like that for everyday use but not sure how to come up with one ahead of time. Thoughts??

Re: The third...?

• Options
    The names are fine. I'm not a fan of Jrs, but if you like it, they're perfectly ok. Maybe call him Ken ?
  • Options
    I am not a fan of continuing names like that. I like for people to have their own names with maybe just a reference to a family name. I would say Kenneth is better than Gary. Could you pick a new first name and continue Kenneth as the middle name? That would be my preference if I felt like I had to use some form of the name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What about naming him Garrett? Or just calling him Garrett.
  • Options
    Gary is not a bad name, but I'm not a fan. I do love the idea of carrying on a name though. Especially when you get into the thirds or further.
  • Options
    The name isn't bad, but I think I might use one of them as a middle name and name my kid what I wanted to. My husband is a II, and having a III wasn't even a consideration. Using his first name as a middle name was, but we didn't even do that.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    gutsysneakersgutsysneakers member
    edited June 2014
    Not a fan of continuing names. Give him his own identity.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    What about Kenneth Gary?  Or Kenneth with a middle name from your side?
    DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. We are still thinking. LoL.
  • Options
    Put me in the family name camp. I think having a III is great. There's several nickname options, both from given names, being a third, or something off the wall that happens naturally when he gets here (like FIL, how do you get Bucky from Gary Kenneth?). I would stress too much about NN options at this point and just decide if you're ok with using the name.
  • Options
    My son is the fifth and I love it! I gave myself a month to decide on his nick name and it worked out great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm halfway on continuing names, but Gary is NMS. I like Kenneth as a first name or maybe PP's suggestion of Garrett.

• Options
  • Options
    I'm in the tradition camp. If Dh is set on continuing I think you should. You knew going into this baby that he was a jr and that the third was an option (not saying your fighting it just stating).
    What does your Dh go by? Ken,Kenny,I like trey but those are about it that I think fit.
  • Options

Clearly it's not too much for a kid if 2 generations have already had it.

We are on our 4th generation of Georges in our family. Only the first generation went by George. My grandma picked Buddy/Bud for my dad before he was born, my brother is Jee.ter, and my nephew is Geo. I have heard of Thirds being called Trey

• Options
    I'm not a fan of juniors, thirds, etc., so I'd choose a new name.

• Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I think it's nice sometimes to have a naming tradition, but I would consider calling the kid by his middle name- Ken, Kenny, etc. 

• Options
    Thanks for all the input ladies. I love the name to be honest..because I love the family and I love the 2men in my life with this name. But I hope to find a nickname that suits the baby so I don't have to call him and his daddy Gary. FIL became Bucky when an old Navy friend of his fathers called him a little Buck at some point. It stuck and most people don't know his name is Gary. :)
  • Options

I don't think Gary is too much for a baby and they're only little for a little while.  They'll be adults most of their lives.

I'm on the fence about juniors, thirds, etc.  I really like having a connection to previous generations through my first name, so I can get behind the tradition. At the same time I hate when women are told they have no say the child will be named after the men in the family. I also hate when my DH's credit gets confused with his dad's.  (He's not a junior, but his first name is the same.)

As long as you love the name, I'd go with it. As for nicknames...just pick one and if you stumble on something you like better later...switch. No paper work needed

;)

I'd probably consider Trey or Baby G to start and see where it leads.

• Options
    I'm not a fan of anything beyond junior, I find it kind of silly and pretentious. We are not naming kings. DH is a junior and I'm open to using his middle name as a middle name, but I want to combine it with one of my family names or find something completely new. They are not bad names, just kinda NMS as far as they go.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"