December 2014 Moms
Options

Is labor really shorter the second time?

I'm especially curious to hear from moms with 2u2 (my 2 will be 16 months apart) but I'd love to hear from all moms. I'm wondering if your body has given birth already if you really are more likely to have a shorter labor the second time. It's what people say and it would be great if it were true.

My 2 questions are:

1) was labor the 2nd time shorter? (Mine was 24 hours with DS)

2) was 2nd baby born earlier than the 1st? (DS was born the day before due date)

Re: Is labor really shorter the second time?

• Options
    I'm hoping the answer to #1 is yes! Although mine was only about 10 hours, but shorter is always better!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you @Slaps quicker each time is encouraging.
  • Options
    According to my mom who had three children, the first takes it's own time, the second is faster, and with my brother, they barely got her to the delivery room.

I am hoping that this one will be faster and easier than our LO.

• Options
    Very encouraging replies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It is encouraging, but be careful what you wish for! My SIL just had her third baby, but it was so fast, she had her in the car outside the hospital while her husband was going inside to get help!
  • Options
    MeetherMeether member
    edited June 2014
    It is encouraging, but be careful what you wish for! My SIL just had her third baby, but it was so fast, she had her in the car outside the hospital while her husband was going inside to get help!

My mom said that I was falling out of her as she was getting into the wheelchair. I was her second. So I realize how scary it can get. I had dd 2 hours after arriving at the hospital, so I'm happy if I have have a short pre natal hospital stay again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My kids are 4 years apart , so that might change things. Plus, the 1st was induction, and the 2nd was not.

1st labor - 41 weeks 1 day, 9 hours long
    2nd labor -41 weeks 3 days, 18 hours long

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options
    My second was much faster than my first, but I had an induction with my first out of "medical necessity."  My third labor was forever and a day, though.  But my third baby was also a POUND heavier than my heaviest baby!
  • Options
    ZAP12ZAP12 member
    This is what I'm afraid of. My first was 6 hours. I know I need to get to the hospital right away.
    Baby Z: 5/21/12

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

**December 2014 September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall - Fall Leaves and Apple Cider**
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was fully dilated within 2 hours of my water breaking, so that makes me nervous for this LO. But I did push for 3.5 hrs with dd, so I could definitely go for that stage being shorter.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Anything is better than my 48 hour labor with DD.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options
    1) yes! my kids are 24 months apart and my 2nd labor was four hours total. 1st labor 12 hrs. With 2nd my water broke and when I got to hospital 30 mins later I was already 8cm! Thank God they still gave me my epidural.
  • Options
    2) 1st came at 39.1 weeks and 2nd at 39 weeks
  • Options
    With both I was induced at 40 weeks and 5 days.  #1 - was about 24 hours and awful, #2 was less than 5 hr and about 3 pushes.  I couldn't believe it was so fast considering I wasn't in labor waling into the hospital.
  • Options
    SIL and I were joking about how I wanted a shorter labor this time, since I was in labor for 25 hours with about 2.5 of pushing with DD. I emailed her after the baby was born and after the appropriate congratulations told her that I wasn't sure I meant that short of a labor...
  • Options
    I didn't know i was in labor cause my contractions weren't bad with my first one and i had him in 5 mins. I checked in at 2:27am and had him at 2:33am 4 weeks early water broke in the car on the exit ramp to the hospital. I had him in the triage and only pushed once so if this is true ill be camping out in the hospital parking lot lol!!
  • Options
    1st baby: 10hr labor born at 39w4d
    2nd baby: 9hr labor born at 38w1d

21 months apart
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    This is my second, so I don't know yet. I've always heard this though and I think there is some truth to it. Maybe not a hard and fast rule, but generally speaking for many people second labors are a little faster (I'm not sure about baby coming earlier). For most of the women I've known this has been the case. There's always exceptions though.
  • Options
    DD was 23 months when DS was born. I had to be induced 6 days late with him, where with DD I went into labor naturally on my due date and had her that afternoon. 

From first real contraction to birth, labor with DD was around 11 hours. DS was different because I was induced. I was given the cervical gel at 7 a.m., started contracting around 7:30 a.m., and had him at 8:13 p.m., so almost 13 hours. 

BUT the active labor part with DS was MUCH faster. I dilated from 5cm to 10cm in about 15 minutes, labored down for about 10 minutes, then delivered him after pushing for only 10 minutes (compared to pushing for close to half an hour with DD). DS was also a pound and a half heavier than DD, so size wasn't a factor in him coming out faster.

BabyFetus Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm feeling pretty encouraged here. DS will be 15 months when this LO is born. I pushed for almost 3 hours with DS with 21 hours of labor. I'll take a long labor, but I'm hoping to sneeze this baby out.
  • Options
    Yes and no for me, my first labor started naturally at 41w1d; my second I was induced at 39w.

First baby: From first contraction to birth 9 1/2 hours.  In hospital bed less than four hours.  20 minutes of pushing.  6lbs 13oz.

Second baby: Total time in hospital 27 1/2 hours; arrived at hospital 10pm, induction began at midnight, pitocin started 1pm next day, had ds at 1:30am the next day... pushed for only nine minutes.  5 lbs 7 oz.

Second stage of labor and pushing was definitely faster second time around but overall experience took longer with the induction.
    December 2014 November Siggy Challenge: How I Feel in Third Tri

Mom to DD(4), DS(2) and # 3 Due 12/14/14

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I think if you are able to go into labor naturally it can be faster. For me, since I was induced the first time (medically indicated) and will likely be induced this time (also medically indicated although I am hoping to avoid it) it may not make a difference for me. Bums me out completely since my first labor was so traumatic.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options
    I'm with all of you hoping this one is faster! From first contraction to delivery DS was 27.5 hours with 2.5 hours of pushing. I was 4cm when I arrived at the hospital at 3:30pm and was 10cm by 4am but he wouldn't drop to -2, he stayed a solid 0. From what I've heard, #2 comes quicker!

D14 November Siggy Challenge: The feels of 3rd trimester...

imageimageimage

• Options
    Well, I was induced with my first almost 13 years ago, so I don't really count that because the pitocin sped things up. But I had a March 2011 and a March 2013 babies. My 1st Marchie was about 12 hrs with no meds, and 2nd Marchie was about 6 hours with no meds.
  • Options
    I'm pg with DS #2 and have definitely been curious about how this one will pan out. I was induced at 39w2d and was in labor for 24 hrs with 2.5 hrs of pushing. I'm hoping this time will be shorter in both aspects.
    My mom did tell me that I was her longest labor (first baby), my sister on the other hand was the easiest labor but wasn't born until a few days past 42 weeks (had to be induced)
    So time will only tell what's going to happen with this little guy.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    iloveac said:
     1) was labor the 2nd time shorter? (Mine was 24 hours with DS) 2) was 2nd baby born earlier than the 1st? (DS was born the day before due date)
        My labor with DS1 from the time my water broke at home to delivery was 9 hours with pitocin administered about 3-4 hour in. Delivered at 38w5d
        My labor with DS2 started at home with contractions.  Labored for 5 hours had my water broken by the OB and delivered about 4 hours later so also approximately 9 hours.  Delivered at 37w2d
       My  labor with DS3 started with contractions, water broke on its on during pushing lasted approximately 7 hours.  Delivered at 39w0d.

BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Options
    edited July 2014
    DD#1: 24 hrs, sent me home at 12 hours and said it wasn't time and gave me a SLEEPING PILL!!!! I don't remember the last 12 hours due to the sleeping pill, don't remember getting to hospital, getting epidural (I didn't want one!!!) signing my life away for said epidural! They woke me up and told me it was time to push!!! (She was 1 week early)

DD#2: woke up at 1am with contractions, 1:30 water broke, rushed to hospital ... DD was born natural with nothing, not even IV in hand at 2:30am!! (4 days early)

DS: almost the same as DD#2 but they had time for IV in my hand, but only fluid, no pain meds (they said it was too late). I started contracting with him around 10 at night and had him at 12:13 AM, for the first few hours of his life I thought his birthday was the day before, but he was born 13 min into the next day just making it on the 19th of May (my birthday!!!) duh!! He was 5 days early.

And those are my birth stories ;) hope you enjoyed

Edit spelling
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"