December 2014 Moms
Options

who would be crazy enough to pay $108 for a month supply of prenatals?

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this situation. My gyno. said try to get a prenatal with DHA. I was originally taking Prenatal Plus from Shop Rite pharmacy (they were also free there). Of course my free prenatal had no DHA. Well he sent me a script for a prenatal with DHA. I went to CVS today to fill the prescription and the pharmacist told me that WITH MY INSURANCE PLAN, the vitamin is still $108 for a months supply. Then she asked when would I like to pick them up. I couldn't help it but I just laughed, said I'm not paying for those vitamins, and went to get an over the counter prenatal with DHA for $20. But seriously, who would actually buy these $108 bottles of vitamins?
Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

Re: who would be crazy enough to pay $108 for a month supply of prenatals?

• Options
    That was a concern for us when I first started to price them out.  Thankfully insurance took mine down to around $30 for a month.  Otherwise I would have been finding an OTC pre-natal. 

Test
  • Options
    Just curious, and maybe this has been answered somewhere way in the beginning, but what is in rx prenatal that you can't buy otc? My otc has DHA and all that good stuff. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use natures made and it has DHA right in it. I'm not sure what the difference between OTC and Rx prenatals are. Is there a reason your OB wants you on an Rx and not just OTC?

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    The doctor prescribed a prenatal that my insurance didn't end up covering and it was over $100 a month. CVS called me, told me about it, and with my permission called my doctor back to get a prescription for another brand. I know some other insurances cover the original prenatal, so my doctor probably didn't know it would be so expensive. I'm guessing that's what's happening here. 
    Married 5/12/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
    69 Thoughts We've All Had While Drunk

• Options
    Trying to recall, but my prenatal has a higher iron supplement to it than several of the OTC's that I looked at.  Plus DH's insurance/FSA sends us reimbursement checks for prescriptions.  

While they would likely reimburse us for the OTC pre-natal, that would probably require me to submit paperwork to them.  I did that for an insurance plan we were on a couple of years back and I am not going to do that again if I can help it. 

Test
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    amr196amr196 member
    edited June 2014
    MrsBriss said:

Dang..I thought my naturemade prenatal a were expensive at $18 a bottle.

Seriously! haha and 1 bottle is still more than a 1month supply. I just bought a new bottle with 240 in it

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    That's crazy. I'd never pay that amount. I take NatureMade Prenatals with DHA. I love them!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Insurance companies and drug companies... That's why our rates are so high. It's so sad but true, for the US at least. Mine are "free" but insurance pays well over $100 per month to the drug company... Then we pay over $5,000 a year for insurance. It's a terrible system.

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Options
    With dd I was prescribed prenatals because it had more iron and frolic acid. But they were 3 months worth for $15. Took then for a long time until I realized it had red #40 in it. That still pisses me off. At the store the other day they had buy one get one free so like 6 months of pills for $25. And they have DHA. And to freaking dye.

I've also bought DHA and prenatals on amazon
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    NELSMDNELSMD member
    Yeeeeeah, I buy the One-a-day for, like, $14.  Also has a DHA gel that comes with it.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• Options
    I get prescription prenatals, but I get mine from Costco.  It is $3 for a 30 days supply.  
  • Options
    The rx kind usually have more folic acid (1000 mcg), higher iron, and are supposed to be gentler on the stomach. However, you could just take two OTC and be fine. If you really like the rx kind, ask your OB for samples. We used to give out boxes of them to patients, especially if they were cash pay or we knew they had financial hardship. I take the gummies. Two have 800 mcg of folic acid. And I pay ten bucks a bottle.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't know what's available in other areas , but the Schnucks and Dierbergs (both grocery store chains) pharmacies give away generic Rx prenatal vitamins (with DHA!) for free. You might want to ask your OB if he/she knows of any similar offers.
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    JCM285JCM285 member
    Thanks ladies! I seriously thought I was on Candid Camera or something when I was at CVS. @lionyloo32‌, I don't know what is so different between rx and otc. My doc doesn't seem to care which one I take as long as it has DHA though. Also, @rshamos‌, thanks for the suggestion. I actually did get a ton of samples from my OB and am still taking them. I will keep taking them until I show my doc the prenatals I bought today to make sure they are ok. I still have the receipt in case he does not approve. But there is no way I'm paying $108. If I did that I wouldn't be able to afford the baby!!
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    I was paying $85. a month for my prenatal and DHA supplement. But I found them online for only $50! They are a all natural raw food prenatal, but they don't hurt my stomach like the chemical ones!
  • Options
    JCM285JCM285 member
    @KimberlyC1984‌ I'm glad you found them for a better cost. Maybe the all natural ingredients make these so expensive too. I never ordered them to find out but that sort of makes sense.

• Options
    @JCM285‌ yeah, me too! I knew $85 was expensive but the fact that I could keep them down and it not kill my stomach was definitely worth it to me!
  • Options
    Last time around, I got the RX kind because they were like $4 for a 90 day supply.  I just got the OTC ones this time since I can never remember to ask my OB for a prescription when I see him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"