September 2012 Moms

Work AW and Advice Needed

So, next Monday is my 90 day mark of being at my new job. My supervisor is going to move down to part time, and I am being promoted to replace her. Yay!

Here's my question: is it reasonable to ask for a raise now? Or should I wait until I have been in the new position and proven myself? I'm curious what everyone thinks.
"Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)

Re: Work AW and Advice Needed

• melody921melody921 member
    edited June 2014
    I think if you're going to be taking on more responsibilities, it's reasonable to ask now. If they say no, revisit it in 6 months.

ETA: I might think this way bc the past few jobs I've had, even if raises had been promised down the line, a pay freeze inevitably ended up in place and there was no raise. I say get it where you can. Oh, and CONGRATS!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited June 2014
    It would surprise me if you were not offered a raise, promotions usually come with raises. I think it is totally acceptable to discuss with them what your new salary will be when you discuss your new role in general.

Eta: changed words for clarity
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm with the others.  I would at least ask.  When you move into a supervisory role, pay increases are pretty common--I'm actually kinda surprised this hasn't been discussed yet (either a "Of course you'll now be making X" or "Because of Y weird situation, we can't offer you a raise with this promotion").

It sounds like the position change has already been established (negotiating the salary change should probably have happened when you accepted the new gig, based on my previous experience)--so if they can't offer you a raise, I wouldn't push it too far but I would make it clear that you will be revisiting the issue in 6 months.
  • Agreed - totally appropriate to bring it up. And congrats!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Congratulations! And I would for sure ask for a raise if you are being promoted (I would be surprised if one isn't offered actually).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely ask, can't hurt!  Congrats!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Congratulations kellers!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Congrats!  And if it's not offered, definitely ask.  A promotion should always come with a raise, at least in my line of work.  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Congrats!  I definitely think it is worth asking and being clear that if they can't do one now you want it revisited in the next 6 months.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Thanks guys.

I haven't signed the papers but they decided for me that I am getting this job. I was kind of hired to be on this "track" so it makes sense, but there was never a timeline. I'm going to meet with my manager today to discuss the official announcement because that is apparently happening in a few hours? I'll bring up the salary and see what happens.

I wasn't sure if being so new meant that a raise shouldn't even be on my radar.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • If you are promoted one would assume your job description and pay grade are being changed. I would hope they would give you a raise. Definitely appropriate to bring it up!

(we issue offer letters for internal promotions but I'm not sure how your job works :)  )
  • Congratulations! And I'm with everyone else, ask for the raise. Good luck!

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Congrats! :)

• miss50miss50 member
    Sweet. Congrats.

• Congrats on the promotion and I hope all goes well when you talk to them!
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Congrats! I agree to ask now! GL!!

• I thought I posted a "Congratulations!" yesterday but now I don't see it.  Whatever TB.

Congratulations!  
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"