April 2014 Moms

For those of you who use a cleaning service

Do you tip? I have some cleaners starting today. They are from a company (that's somewhat big in that they have a lot of locations) and their prices are cheaper that pretty much all the other places around me. Because of that, I'm guessing they don't earn that much as an hourly wage and rely on tips. However I don't know the industry at all as I've never hired professional cleaners. Is it standard to tip?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
Married June 28, 2013
BFP August 9, 2013
Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

Re: For those of you who use a cleaning service

• I've never used a service, just an individual lady. I always tipped $10 but I'm not sure if that's standard or not. My total was $30 and it was always just easier to give her $40... Plus, she was awesome and would do anything! :)
  • hordolhordol member
    She only charges $30??? Wow that's awesome!!! The cleaners are here right now and I just have a flat rate to pay them, not hourly so I'm not sure what it breaks down to. Cleaning services have such a bad rep that I'm skeptical to leave a tip right off the bat (the company from what I understand gives them a set amount of time they are allowed to clean the house based on what they think it should take so they often cut corners in order to stay within their allotted time). From my googling it seems like people don't typically leave tips for a service, just holiday bonuses. I suppose I will see how I like the job they do. I might try to hire an individual instead of a service too depending on how this goes.

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah she charges $15 an hour and usually just does 2 hours. I feel like she's super reasonable!

In your situation I agree though, I might see how it goes and then make a decision about tipping.
  • I think it would depend on how long it takes them to clean your house and whether or not they're handling truly disgusting stuff. If you tip generously, they'll likely respect your belongings more. I don't really know - I've always cleaned my own house, but if I were able to afford a company to do it for me, I'd tip them as well as possible.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • I have a lady come every few weeks. It's a flat rate for the basic cleaning job of $120. She's usually in and out in about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. We did a big tip at Christmas but other than that I pay what she charges... Now I'm questioning it too!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • hordolhordol member
    @bootsiebabe that is what I read is typical on google. It seems weird to me too because I highly doubt the companies pay well. I get the same cleaners every week so I think I will just leave tips periodically rather than every week. Christmas but then maybe a bigger one every other month or so?

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• I think that sounds right. If I have a bigger project I'd like done like inside the fridge or something I tell her to bill me extra if it takes her longer than usual and that seems to work out ok.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have only used a cleaning service on a few sporadic occasions (what I wouldn't give for a regular cleaning lady, but I can't justify it right now)....groupon purchases, really. I always tipped.
  • I just use an individual and pay her a flat rate unless she's doing something extra. We do give her a nice "bonus" at Christmas.

I've used a service before as well and didn't pay any extra unless I felt like they were going above and beyond the norm.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • zazu13zazu13 member

I just use an individual and pay her a flat rate unless she's doing something extra. We do give her a nice "bonus" at Christmas.

Me, too. I've had the same lady once a month for the past 5 years.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• I pay the rate they are charging to clean my house. I'll give a bonus at Christmas. I've never heard of tipping a cleaning lady. Maybe it's a regional thing?
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• We don't tip, except at the holidays. We us a company and they seem to send different girls all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"