October 2013 Moms
Options

Sippy cup and bottles

DD is now FF since about 6 months and things are great. The pedi recommended sippy cups around month 5 just to get used to them. Now we are on month 9 and she's so-so. Not that great, mostly bangs them on the high chair despite using it daily and we have tried different ones. We don't have our 9 month appt for two more weeks, but should I be trying harder?

I know they are supposed to be weaned from the bottle around a year...but then what? FTM here looking for some guidance as to what comes next? Do I just take the bottle away at a year?

Re: Sippy cup and bottles

• Options
    We still don't use hers. But I haven't pushed it that much. I think I'll just start offering more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Have you tried a sippy with a straw? DD loves it and learned to use it almost right away. We bf and she's only had a bottle a couple of times. I don't know how that affects things, though.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @blueeyedrose86‌ which one do you have with a straw? I haven't tried that yet. She has a couple different versions of the press with your lips ones.
  • Options
    A2 gets water in a sippy at every meal and she can't hold it if her life depended on it. It's more of a novelty for her right now. And A1 is 3 and still uses a sippy cup (hard spout), so you have a loooong time before you have to worry about what's next.

• Options
    @yesthisiskim‌0401 my question is more what happens after bottle if DD never catches on to the sippy cup. This might be a non issue, but I'm feeling like there is some kind of end of bottle deadline in 3 months. How am I supposed to know when she should be done with bottles and using the sippy exclusively? And how does she get enough liquid if she sucks a sippy cups? (I may be over thinking this)
  • Options
    https://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=/product/index.jsp?productId=35407786&cp=&parentPage=search&domain=http://www.toysrus.com

I love that it's weighted. For some reason she thinks she has to tip it back to drink it. We've used it for over a month and it's been awesome.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Options
    We use a sippy with water everyday. He doesn't drink a lot out of it, but knows how to.

With #1, at a year, we put her milk in a sippy and gave her a bottle at night before bed. We stopped the bottle around 18 months.

• Options
    I wouldn't stress it yet, we didn't stop bottles with my DD until around 15 mo.My DD was a little special and really struggled with sippy cups. Once she was off bottles, we just held the cup for her. She struggled with tilting the cup up enough and eventually learned on a tilty cup. Most likely though, just keep introducing the cup and she'll get the hang of it. My DD struggled with a lot of feeding milestones. She was probably 2 1/2 before she could use a straw, no lie. It helped me to remember that I didn't know any adults who couldn't use a straw, so she would eventually get it. You can apply this logic to all sorts of developmental milestones. Try not to stress, just make do, keep practicing and they will eventually get it.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options
    hartsl01hartsl01 member
    edited June 2014
    We've been giving DS a sippy cup with water for about a month now. He's just now starting to take it. We've got this one by Nuby. He can hold on to it pretty well just because it's shaped like his bottles that he gets at daycare. We also have ones with a handle on the cup and he doesn't like those as well. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Skipped the sippy went straight to straw.  We have the Zoli straw cup but if Im at a restaurant/coffee shop I can just order a kids water and he uses a regular straw too. 
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• Options
    @wedding06 Nope, no trouble with leaking.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We leave a sippy with water on the floor all day for him. It took 2-3 weeks before he figured out how to use it & now he's a pro. He just takes a drink whenever he feels like it & there's always still some water in it by the end of the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"