Preemies

Intro - 30 weekers

Short Version: 
30 week, 1 day B/G twins born in April. Babies are now 11.5 weeks old! Wanted to intro because family/friends aren't understanding of the adjusted age and comparing our babes to FT babies of the same age so I wanted to be surrounded by people who just "get it". 

Long Version: 
I've been following this board since March when I went into PTL the first time at 25w6d. After 8 hours, they managed to stop the contractions. I stayed at the hospital for a week with no further progress and left for strict home bedrest at 1-2cm dilated, 50% effaced. I had gotten both steroid shots in that timeframe, and was told to expect to go into labour at any time between then and my due date - but most likely before 33 weeks. Pretty sure they were being optimistic because every weekly appt afterwards I was greeted with "Wow, you're still pregnant!". 

I made a deal to my then-inside-babies and begged them not to come a day before 30 weeks at the earliest and that we'd renegotiate a new 'milestone' to aim for once we hit that one. Each week was celebrated but I knew I wanted to at least get to 30 weeks, then we'd aim for 34 weeks. So with my luck - at 30 weeks exactly, I started contracting again. I managed to control them until the next day when I dilated from  2 to 7 within 4 hours and ending up with an emergency csection due to baby b being breech. 

It was not nearly as traumatic to us as it was to our families. We knew and prepped for their early arrival. The doctors and nurses (who had all been around when I was 25w) all high fived me for hanging in for so long that even though it was still so early - it was a celebration! I was so thankful for that mentality, I feel like it really set us on a good path emotionally for the NICU journey we were going to have to deal with. 

We were also so thankful to have had a relatively uneventful NICU stay for 47 days, with a few minor setbacks (baby boy ended up on o2 for a week in the middle of the stay, and baby girl had some tummy issues with a dairy allergy) and the babes came home on May 24. 

They are both great babies, but I'm struggling with developmental milestones and family. Baby girl has already rolled over a few times, and both have exceptional neck control but again, both still act like newborns at times as well. I know to go by adjusted age, as opposed to actual age but it's been so hard to have family/friends understand that they are technically 3 month old newborns. We've been very, VERY blessed with healthy babies and know our journey could have gone such a different way - I just wish family wouldn't expect so much of them when they are already doing beyond their adjusted age. I also have a nephew who is only 6 weeks older than the twins so there are lots of comparisons which I don't feel are fair since he was a FT baby. This is what led me to finally intro'ing. I'd really like to be able to be an active part of a community with others who just get it without me having to explain why they were originally tube fed, or explaining what an adjusted age is ;)

Now enough about me - I just want to say that I'm so inspired by all of you mommas/daddys out there. I've been following some of the stories and it helped me get through our NICU stay and be thankful for every single milestone. You all are AMAZING and despite having never posted before, I don't think I'd have been able to get through this so far without reading so many experiences here so thank you!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Intro - 30 weekers

• Do your twins have any PT?  Have you looked into that?  Mine were born at 26w4d and we have physical therapy every Friday.  It has helped them reach their milestones and I would have no idea how to teach them to sit, crawl and walk on my own.  Each state has a program that typically pays for it entirely.  Try googling early intervention in your area or talk with your pedi.

Also, start thinking of them as their adjusted age, it will help you from being worried.  I was like you and couldn't think of them as their adjusted age, but once I did, it totally helped.  There is no way they will do many of the milestones that term babies will at their actual age because they aren't supposed to be as old as they are.  My twins also had very few complications and other than motor skills, still don't have issues.  I also have a nephew that is 8 months younger, but is already 2 lbs heavier than my DS.  I can honestly say it doesn't bother me because my DS will catch up eventually and if he doesn't, oh well, he's healthy and alive. 

I also referred to my twins as their adjusted age for awhile because I didn't want to get the questions and looks when I told people their actual age.  Good luck to you and your twins...this will get easier over time.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thanks! I'll definitely look into PT. I wasn't sure if they would qualify but I guess it doesn't hurt to look into.

I'm glad to hear your twins are doing well. It gives me hope that we'll continue on a smooth path :)

I'm okay in terms of thinking of them as their adjusted age - its the family members that are struggling and I've just been so frustrated with their comparisons. I know they each have their own strength n weaknesses and they would whether FT or not. I just wish grandparents and aunts/uncles would stop expecting so much from them when they are already doing so well for their age.

I do like the idea of telling strangers they are their adjusted age - it means I don't have to get into the whole NICU story!

• Loading the player...
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    Welcome, and congrats on your babies! I have a 30-weeker who is about to turn 3! 

I understand your family not getting it. We all run into that problem. I would straight up tell your family to stop comparing your kids to your nephew because he's developmentally 4 months older and it's not fair. Just repeat every time it comes up. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Thanks! It's nice to know others understand. 

@pips09 - You're right. I'll just keep repeating until they finally get it! 3 must be such an exciting age and it's always nice to hear about other 30-weekers. :)

@suburbsmrs - 31w5d is great! Before we reached their due date I would just tell anyone that for "babies not meant to be born yet" they were doing exceptionally well. It felt like a huge milestone once we hit their due date and we could officially start counting adjusted age! Until then, we just celebrated each week of "gestation" the same as I would have if I was still pregnant :) Congrats on your little girl! The NICU time will fly by and she'll be home before you know it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"