Breastfeeding

Can I bring up my supply to mostly BF my twins

I have 2 month old twins (yesterday) who are nursing, getting pumped milk, and formula. We had a really rough time getting their latches good so when they were first born and lost so so much weight I was given a medela symphony pump through insurance and I started pumping. I was able to meet about 2/3 of their needs when they were smaller. I was pumping every 3 hours, but gradually that became less and less often between having twins and an almost 3 year old. So now I pump 3 times a day and get about 1/2 of what they take - they get that in bottles and get formula the other time. I went as long as about 8 or 9 days without nursing at one point, but for the last two weeks or so have been putting the boys to the breast regularly most of the time before their bottles and sometimes when it seems like they just need a little top off or to settle down for a nap or are extra fussy and need the comfort. Their latches are great right now...it feels how nursing should. 

But obviously my supply is not up to what I need for twins - any tips for getting it back up? I'm eating oatmeal daily, taking mother's milk capsules from a local herbalist/LC. Should probably add more supplements or something, but I'm hoping it might be possible to get my supply increased enough to reduce the formula they get and nurse more. 

Any tips?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can I bring up my supply to mostly BF my twins

• I've heard that pumping can increase your supply.  I'm not sure if any of this will work, but there are a lot of tips in this blog...

https://happyhomefairy.com/2013/06/07/extreme-pumping-tips-and-tricks/

• basil2basil2 member
    Good for you for sticking with it!
    I don't have any particular expertise- but would encourage you to always nurse before giving a bottle.
    As the mother of 6 wk old twins and a 3 yr old, I'd hate to tell you to pump more (I struggle to find time to pump once/day to build up a stash for returning to work) but would encourage you to nurse as much as you can and cut back on the bottles (again no expertise just my instinct).
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"