April 2014 Moms
Options

WWYD baby's first cold

LO developed a little bit of stuffy nose last night. She usually sleeps from 8-4 at night but last night was up at least 4 times and wasn't even hungry, just restless. Then I noticed she's got nasal congestion and a small cough. The cough sounds like a drainage cough and is very seldom. I've started some saline nose drops and aspiration bulb and it seems to help with her nasal issue. My question is: my mom told me to use baby Vicks on her back and chest at bedtime tonight. The package says use for babies 3 months and up. She's nearly 12 weeks and will be 3 months on the 9th. Would you guys use the Vicks rub anyways since she's so close to 3 months? Or should I just keep trucking with the saline drops and humidifier at bedtime?

Re: WWYD baby's first cold

• Options
    I probably wouldn't use the Vick's just yet. My LO got his first cold at only 6 wks, and the pedi said to use the saline drops and humidifier, as you already are. Mine did require antibiotics due to an ear infection.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    poru said:
    I am surprised the package said that. I have always heard no Vicks for babies under a year. I think the potentially bad ingredient is the eucalyptus but I don't remember.
    Baby Vicks is totally different than the Vicks we use, that is why its 3+ months. I would go ahead and use it but that is just me.  Feel better LO! 

• Options
    Saline spray and nose freda
  • Options
    I would do it but on LO's feet! I rubbed the normal stuff on my older DD's feet before bed and I swear it's miraculous. I don't know how it works, but it cleared her up so she could sleep at night.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    Awesome input guys. She seems to have cleared up just a tiny bit so I may do just the saline, aspirator, and humidifier. If it doesn't get better by tomorrow we will add the rub but only on her feet.
  • Options
    A nurse suggested putting it on a wash cloth and putting it in their pjs if you're not comfortable with it touching their skin. I just got a humidifier with the Vick's vapor inserts.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    The bulbs suck, get a nose frida.

Turn the shower on hot and let room get steamy and just hold her in the room.

Saline drops in nose to help loosen mucus

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    edited June 2014
    I'm glad some of you mentioned that Vicks isn't recommended. I wouldn't have even thought twice about it! If package said 3 months I would have been all "meh, close enough!" Good to know for future reference.

My LO just got over a cold. All I did was put some saline spray in his nostrils and suctioned out snot a few times a day, made sure he nursed plenty and slept as much as he could. He got better within a week and it thankfully didn't make him too miserable.

Eta we also used the humidifier at night
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    What about the Vicks baby rub? Is that okay on 3 mo and older or is it just gimmicky?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    We've found that taking her in the shower with us helps loosen it up the best if you're brave enough to try it!
  • Options
    Nose frida is a lifesaver!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"