Baby Names
Options

Finnegan? Love it or hate it?

My DH is Irish/Scottish and our last name is very Scottish.  I have fallen in love with Finnegan, nickname Finn, but DH is not so sure.  It seems like the name is gaining popularity lately.  I keep hearing it.  Do you like the name, and do you know any other kids with this name?

Re: Finnegan? Love it or hate it?

• Options

If you scroll down this page and the next, there are two or three other posts also asking about names with the nn Finn.  I think it may not be a common name right now, but by the time your little guy starts kindergarten I suspect there will be a lot of Finns.  It's a nice name though.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageepphd:

If you scroll down this page and the next, there are two or three other posts also asking about names with the nn Finn.  I think it may not be a common name right now, but by the time your little guy starts kindergarten I suspect there will be a lot of Finns.  It's a nice name though.

I was just about to say this...

• Options

My son is Finlay, we call him Finn, and I know 2 other Finn's and one is Finnegan. I am biased, so of course I love Finn, but I also don't want it to get too popular!

I like Finnegan, it was one of our choices but we decided to go with Finlay instead. I randomly call my son Finnegan Beginagain for some reason though when I talk to him!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Finnegan is trying to hard. Just go with Finn. It's cute. My friend just had a baby boy named Finn.
  • Options

I like the name/nn Finn but Finnegan isn't really my style.  Finn is really cute, though.

I haven't heard the name around where I live yet.

• Options
     I do not care for it but I do like Finn as a stand alone..
  • Options

It reminds me of an anti-nausea medicine. It's called Phinegran or something.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What about Fenmore? And call him Fen for short?
  • Options
    I like both, Finn and Finnegan. I have an English cousin named Finbar and we call him Fin. His mother (my aunt) is Welsh and Finbar is a traditional Welsh name. Their daughters name is Sian. Go with it, if you like it that is all that matters. Big Smile
  • Options
    I like it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    like both Finn, Finnegan, and Finley (mentioned by a pp)
    TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I like Finnegan a lot! 

• Options
    Love it and I hate that it's becoming so popular.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

All I can think of is Phenergan, the medicine. I don't like it! Sorry :(

• Options

I love it... but then again, my DS's name is Griffin (we don't call him Finn though... just Griffy and Griff or Griffin).

We are considering Finley for a middle name for one of our twins.

DH has some "Finbar" family members - which is a little too out there for me- but Finnegan and Finley I like a lot.  I am not a fan of Finnian, which someone posted about recently.

• Options
    I like Finn or Flynn. But not Finnegan. That said, choose what YOU and your DH like. It doesn't matter what we think. Not a lot of people love the MN we like.
  • Options
    love it!  I dont know anyone with that name, but really like it.
  • Options
    I love Finnegan and Finn.  It was on our list for a while.
  • Options
    Love the name Finn! I named one of my former foster puppies Finn.
  • Options
    I don't like it. Around here, I think eyes would be rolling.
  • Options
    love it, Finn was our other choice if we had another boy. Dh is irish so we went with two irish names.
  • Options
    a friend of mine's son's name is Finnegan.  We sing a song where we spell his name out and everything.  Most of the time he just goes by Finn, though as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I love it but DD's name is Finley.  DH is also Irish/Scottish and our last name is a Mc name.
    Married 6/20/06~Mommy to 2 beautiful girls
  • Options
    I like Finn...but Finnegan makes me think of the medicine Phenergan. ?Probably doesn't really make sense...but that's my thought.
  • Options

DH's response is that Finnegan is the name of his favorite Irish bar in Winter Park, CO.

I think it's kind of cute, but only if you are really Irish.  And if it doesn't rhyme with your last name.  I love the nickname Finn.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Options
    I like it, even though it seems to be super trendy right now.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"