Eco-Friendly Family

Organic Crib Mattress

I'm looking to buy an organic crib mattress.  I have been looking into the Naturepedic brand and can't decide between the following three mattresses:

1.  Organic Cotton Quilted Deluxe (non-waterproof)

2.  No Compromise Organic 2 in 1 Ultra (waterproof on infant side only)

3.  No Compromise Organic Cotton Ultra (waterproof on both sides)

All have the 252 core coils.  

Thanks for your advice/suggestions!

Re: Organic Crib Mattress

• I have the Naturepedic that is waterproof on both sides, which I think is good.  All babies have the potential for wet messes (spit up, drool, diaper leaks, baby learns to take diaper off, etc).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have two of the Naturepedic No compromise classic mattresses and like them a lot! It is waterproof on both sides and I do think that matters a lot in choosing a mattress unless you are using a crib sheet protector (we have naturepedic's of that and love it too)

If your concern is to get water proof or not, I honestly would get at least the one sided. But keep in mind that when you potty train you might wish you had a double sided mattress! I'm glad mine is double sided.

• Loading the player...
  • I have a non waterproof organic coil mattress (not naturepedic brand) and I prefer it because a) it is all breathable natural materials (though you have to use a wool piddle pad under a cotton mattress pad), and b) it has no fire retardants used in it since it uses wool in the padding which is naturally repellent.

the wool piddle pad under cotton mattress pad works really well to protect the mattress. I invested in a single wool cover and 2 cotton mattress pads since the wool doesn't really get wet or need to be washed in the case of an accident. But I do need to change the cotton pad since it soaks up all the mess. 

I am not sure the cost of the quilted deluxe, but this is the one I went with:

https://www.euphoriababy.com/store/pc/EcoBaby-Organic-Innerspring-Crib-Mattress-43p338.htm

it is sold by many other online retailers. It has 260 coils. it is both firm and soft.

for bedding, I purchased it all locally at soaring heart mattress company in seattle. 

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• I got the lightweight naturepedic mattress. It's waterproof on both sides, I got it early on to let it air out.

And am just getting organic mattress pad and sheets.

I'd rather have the mattress clean long term and not have to rebuy one for future babies. And get non waterproof mattress for a bigger kid, when accidents are less likely.
  • Please read "mattress matters - by clean & healthy New York" (just Google it). Basically, most of the mainstream companies, such as Naturepedic, are lying through their teeth about being "organic." Those mattresses are full of chemicals, including flame retardants & waterproofing chemicals. The researches have a short list - EcoDream, Shepherds Dream and Soaring Heart for example - of companies whose claims are actually true. These mattresses cost upwards of $300. 
  • Looking at the chart, I'm trying to figure out how naturpedic is lying.  The study you referenced shows the opposite of what was stated (unless I'm totally  missing something)  They aren't listed as having any of the "chemical of concern" In the very article you referenced they said Naturpedic was only one of the few with full disclosure and were one of only three companies to make their mattresses without chemicals of concern or allergens. 

Scroll down to the actual chart:

https://www.cleanhealthyny.org/2011/11/mattress-matters-report.html

They're not the ultimate by any means, but in their price range they are far more natural and organic than most. 

Healthy Child Healthy world actually has naturpedic listed as a trusted source too. 

• imageartistgal:
    Looking at the chart, I'm trying to figure out how naturpedic is lying.nbsp; The study you referenced shows the opposite of what was stated unless I'm totallynbsp; missing somethingnbsp; They aren't listed as having any of the "chemical of concern" In the very article you referenced they said Naturpedic was only one of the few with full disclosure and were one of only three companies to make their mattresses without chemicals of concern or allergens.nbsp; nbsp;Scroll down to the actual chart:nbsp;https://www.cleanhealthyny.org/2011/11/mattressmattersreport.htmlnbsp;They're not the ultimate by any means, but in their price range they are far more natural and organic than most.nbsp; nbsp;Healthy Child Healthy world actually has naturpedic listed as a trusted source too.nbsp;

All of this. And, Naturepedic is manufactured near me. We picked up our mattress from the actual factory. Love that they are a local company.

• We really like our Obasan mattresses!  Highly recommend.
  • I have option 3 you listed and so far it's working great! I also have the waterproof mattress pads and sheets by Naturepedic, too. Love their products!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"