July 2014 Moms

Harper's Grande Entrance :)

Heather100612Heather100612 member
edited June 2014 in July 2014 Moms
I can't even believe I am sitting here typing up this story! My little girl is here and I could not be more in love! Here's how Harper made her way into the world :)

I guess you could say the story starts on Tuesday during my 39 week checkup. At this particular checkup, we did not make any progress (we were still sitting at 1cm and 80% effaced). Since no progress was made, our doc was already throwing around the possibility of induction, which was bumming me out. Our doc then jokingly told us that I should eat some eggplant, and of course husband took that to heart and we of course had Italian for dinner that night in which I ate eggplant parmesan (had enough to take home and have for lunch the next day too!)

Fast forward to Wednesday. I spent the day cleaning, not because of nesting but because our real estate agent was supposed to come to our house on Friday because we are considering putting our house on the market. For lunch I ate said eggplant parmesan, and feeling pretty great! By about 8 that evening I was feeling pretty tired and sore, but attributed it to the deep cleaning I had done all day. By my midnight bathroom break, I noticed some blood in my underwear. At this point I had not had my bloody show, but this blood was bright red and was not mixed with mucus, so I was a little worried, and thought that maybe it was just the fact that I had a cervical check the day prior and had been very active that day. DH was up with me since we were watching tv, and with him being the worry wart he is, called the doc just to double check that this was okay. Doctor said as long as it didn't get worse and or tapered off, not to worry. If the bleeding picked up, I needed to go to the hospital. So after hours of monitoring, the bleeding was definitely getting worse, and still bright red with no mucus. At this point (which is about 2 am) I am also noticing that my dull backache from earlier that evening (which I assumed stemmed from vacuuming) was intensifying and coming in waves. So we do what our doc says and head to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at about 3am, and promptly get admitted. My bleeding was getting worse (now looking almost like a period) but they confirm that it is indeed my bloody show. They perform a cervical exam and since I am 1.5cm at this point and 80% effaced, decide to keep me a few hours to see if anything progresses. I was having contractions, though not totally regular. They decided to give me a shot of morphine to help my body relax, and they said that sometimes if the body has the ability to relax, contractions start to pick up and regulate. So I get the shot and go to sleep. When I woke up contractions had found a pattern, but they were over 10 min apart. My doc decided it's just not time yet, so at 8am we leave the hospital. At that point I took advantage to the morphine that was still in my system and went home and crashed until noon. When I woke up I showered and got ready, and DH and MIL took me out to lunch and to do some baby shopping (my doc had suggested walking around). We weren't even out of the house for more than 5 minutes and the contractions start again (about 8 min apart). By the time we got through lunch and a trip to BRU, I was down to 4 minute intervals. DH made the executive decision to just go straight to the hospital since the contractions kept getting closer and closer. We went back home, got our bags, and went back to the hospital. By the time we got to the hospital (in rush hour traffic no less) I was down to about 2 1/2 minute intervals, and the contractions were INTENSE. The nurses literally chuckled when they saw me (they thought I should have stayed that morning, my doc was the only one that wanted me to go home) and were like "you're definitely not leaving this time!"

They quickly got me back into the room and started an IV and gave me some pain meds to take the edge off until I could get my epidural. Before getting my epidural, they did a check and I was 100% effaced and 4cm, so things were progressing quickly!! Once I got my epidural (which is agonizing to get when you're in back labor) I was ready to rock! (and at this point water broke on its own, too.)Things really picked up from there, and by 11 they were prepping the room for baby's arrival. After 45 min of pushing, Harper arrived at 12:41; 8.4 lbs of pure perfection :)

Harper is now currently in NICU though because of an infection and some trouble breathing. She is showing signs of progress, but she is still looking at a week long stay :(

I on the other hand had a postpartum hemorrhage where I lost about 2000 mL of blood. As I am typing this I'm receiving a blood transfusion. I'm on my 4th, and hopefully last, pint. Both Harper and I are a bit of a hot mess right now, but we are on our way to recovery. It's all worth it to have my girl!! :)

Re: Harper's Grande Entrance :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"