Multiples
Options

Namesake question

My husband is the fourth and he has made it very clear from when we first started dating that he wants a fifth. I always joked what if we have twin boys. You can't make one the namesake. Well that's exactly where we are, expecting twin boys this fall. In March his dad passed away and not like I much choice before but now I agree with him. His dad was one of my favorites! We are choosing a strong name for baby B to compete. My question is has anyone else had an namesake for baby a?? Does the other baby have any resentment?

PS: the joke of making one the fifth and one the sixth has grown old after the 100th time.

Re: Namesake question

• Options
    We named our baby boy after my husbands father and our baby girl after my father.
  • Options
    Instead if having a "fifth" could you use your FIL's names as middle names for each boy? Or even as first names. One boy gets FIL's first name and other boy gets FIL's middle name.

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are thinking of making baby B's middle name my grandfathers name. But my husband insists on the full name first and middle. He has wanted a fifth his whole life.
  • Options
    We have that situation exactly!! We named the first born the fifth, but we call him Quintin for five. The other one is named after his grandfather and great grandfather, so it still has meaning. We love our decision !
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    chickaboo1974chickaboo1974 member
    edited June 2014
    We have something similar, but my husband isn't numbered since the tradition is that the first born son is John and his middle name is the baby's maternal grandfather's name. We hadtwin boys, so yes we had to deal with the name issue. The first one born was John, however I just couldn't give him my dad's name-Earl. Honestly John Earl is just not anywhere near what I would want for my kid to have for the rest of his life. We kept the E and named him John Elijah. His twin, we just picked out a name we liked for his first name and gave him my maiden name, which is the tradition with sons in my family. Oh and I wanted to add that my son is the 10th John in a row that we are sure about, I wanted to keep the tradition because both my in laws are deceased so it allows my boys to still be a part of this side of the family.
  • Options
    I am an identical twin and baby A. I got the namesake name, although I had never thought of it in this way, you grow-up with the name you have and learn to appreciate it for the reason that you have the name. I did just call my sister and asked her about this. She laughed and said - no, why would I feel different/upset about that, I thought you were mad at me for having the non-namesake name.
    This just goes to show you, that parents put too much thought into these things. Both your boys will love the names you give them, regardless of the reasons. GL
  • Options
    What if you split up the names so A got dad's first name and B got dad's middle names as his first? That way it's fair.

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • Options
    We split up the namesake name, but in your situation I get why you wouldn't do that. I say have a V, and name the other guy something meaningful too. I've always thought calling a fifth "Quinn" would be adorable...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I am an identical twin and baby A. I got the namesake name, although I had never thought of it in this way, you grow-up with the name you have and learn to appreciate it for the reason that you have the name. I did just call my sister and asked her about this. She laughed and said - no, why would I feel different/upset about that, I thought you were mad at me for having the non-namesake name.
    This just goes to show you, that parents put too much thought into these things. Both your boys will love the names you give them, regardless of the reasons. GL

This makes me feel a lot better. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"