Baby Showers

Are diaper cakes still in?

Hello all, I need some help. I have not been to a baby shower for someone else since 2009. I am wanting to make something beautiful for my friend, as she is having her first girl after 3 boys. I was thinking diaper cake, or maybe towels and onesies and washcloth cake, or carriage, or whatever. Is this still a hip thing to do, or is it more annoying at the fact of having to unroll all the diapers. I saw some cute stuff on pinterest where you wrap the diapers in blankets and such. Thanks for your help.

Re: Are diaper cakes still in?

• I don't like them since the diapers get rolled up. I personally prefer getting and giving a gift without having to make it extra fancy. When I have a friend having a baby of different sex than older child my go-to gift is clothes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    I personally loved the diaper cake my sister made me, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea.
  • Loading the player...
  • AbbyMMM said:
    Someone made me something like this which was so cute and a great conversation piece. It was also really easy to "unroll" all of the diapers since they weren't fully rolled up - just sort of bent. https://www.sweetaprils.com/2011/08/diaper-motorcycle-tutorial-diy-how-to.html?m=1
    That's exactly the one I was thinking of making, and then something else small, because babies Grandma is a big biker, and I know she would get a kick out of something like this. I know she needs everything since I am sure her boys destroyed all of their baby stuff, so I think this is a nice mix of diapers, blankies, and other must have items. 

Also was going to make this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXLa8fmsJE

I am also just that friend who likes to make things pretty. I am not a fan of jbuying something last minute and shoving it in a bag purchased same day. 
  • I haven't been to a shower in a few years that's had a diaper cake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • zazu13zazu13 member
    I got 2 at my shower in january. The extra diapers were awesome! She used rubber bands and my helpful niece inrolled them all for me. Another idea is the onesie bouquet / flower pot. I got one with socks, wash cloth & onesies. Sock "cupcakes" are cute, too.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• I've never been to a shower with a diaper cake, but they seem cute and practical (if they can be made in a way that doesn't ruin the diapers).

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've never been to a shower with a diaper cake, but they seem cute and practical (if they can be made in a way that doesn't ruin the diapers).

Like hot glue? That's what mine was made with. Complete waste!
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • AbbyMMM said:
    Someone made me something like this which was so cute and a great conversation piece. It was also really easy to "unroll" all of the diapers since they weren't fully rolled up - just sort of bent. https://www.sweetaprils.com/2011/08/diaper-motorcycle-tutorial-diy-how-to.html?m=1
    That's exactly the one I was thinking of making, and then something else small, because babies Grandma is a big biker, and I know she would get a kick out of something like this. I know she needs everything since I am sure her boys destroyed all of their baby stuff, so I think this is a nice mix of diapers, blankies, and other must have items. 

Also was going to make this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXLa8fmsJE

I am also just that friend who likes to make things pretty. I am not a fan of jbuying something last minute and shoving it in a bag purchased same day. 
    This is adorable.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I will post a finished picture sometime next week. Yes I had diapers that were taped and it was really annoying. You could tell the tape had been there sometime and it started to pull some of the materials off. The wheels here are fanned into a round cake pan, then wrapped with a rubber band. Also have seen the stacked cake where they use tiny clear hair bands instead of tape. Hot glue!! What were they thinking?!?!
  • I received a diaper cake as a gift for DS2 in September and I thought it was nice and much needed. It was the traditional cake shape and just held together with one big tight ribbon around each layer. The only down side was, the diapers were non branded or labeled so I wasn't sure what size they were. Make sure they are labeled some how on the tag or something so the parents know. I figured out they were stage one after comparing them to the other stage 1s I had. That's a good size because some babies barely use the newborn stage if they are big babies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Diaper cake! They're decorative and useful. All new moms want free diapers. Use rubber bands.
  • Already got the diapers. 10 off in store coupon and 5.50 in manufacturer coupons plus 5 reward at BRU, got 42.99 Huggies size 1 pack for 27.49. Go me!
  • I received two this weekend at my shower and they were a hit! The layers were wrapped in receiving blankets so you couldn't even tell they were diapers. Different layers had shoes, toys, burp cloths, etc. Very cute.
  • Personally, I think they can be cute if done right. Just make sure the mom is indeed doing disposables, or use cloth diapers if she is CDing. And yes, use rubber bands or ribbons rather than any type of adhesive.

Hot glue?! Seriously? Wow...

• May I ask why Bliss?
  • I have no idea what you are talking about. What is Romero Britto? Is that some sort of new stroller??
  • I received a diaper cake and I love it! The best part was there were tons of gift layered onto it- onesides, pacis, rattles, stroller toy, carseat toys, and a Target gift card tucked into the top. It was so sweet!!
  • LOL I had never heard of him, so he can't be that popular. I googled him, but I was making a joke too. Go internet sarcasm.
  • I made a towel cake one time for my cousin's baby shower! It's different from the typical diaper cake if you want a refreshing change. :)
  • a13049a13049 member
    I do feel like the have become a bit overdone. I enjoyed the one I received, though. MIT didn't have the diapers rolled, more curved around a round object in the middle. Easy to use the diapers still. They aren't quite the conversation piece they used to be. There more a lot of diaper cake spin offs now that are fun too. I made diaper cakes in college and made good amount selling them onlie, but that was 10 years ago.

• ScarletButlerScarletButler member
    edited June 2014
    So here is how my stuff turned out. The cupcakes are so adorable. The diaper carriage, well I made the wheels huge, and even though they are lopsided I think it turned out alright. Now if I can drive it there without it shifting, I will be happy. Um k why didn't the pic load?
  • May I ask why Bliss?
    Sure. I just find them to be overdone and kind of ugly/weird. I feel the same way about Romero Britto, prolific and pretty much redundant and inevitable. Just my .02

I have such a big fat bump crush on you.
    Anniversary 
  • So this is what I made. Even found a doll of my kids to match. She loved it.
  • Sorry last pic was insanely huge.
  • They can be very, very cute but I don't think they're very practical.  My daughter was born with extremely sensitive skin and only one brand of diaper didn't give her a major rash.  I'd hate for one of my guests to have bought a ton of diapers and made a big fancy thing with them if I then weren't able to use them. 

It's one thing if someone buys you a few packs of diapers as a shower gift since they can be exchanged but once the packs are opened, you own them whether or not you can use them.

Onesies and blankets and crib sheets are much more practical anyway.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"