2nd Trimester
Options

What would you do?

Hello everyone,

I would like your opinion on what you would do in this scenario. I will consult with my doctor in a week once he is back in the country and get his advice then.

My husband's USTA team won the districts and are now going to sectionals. The sectionals will be held in a neighboring state (we are in NV, it is being held in UT) and will last about 3 days. The flight is about an hour and a half and the house they are renting is relatively close to the city. My concern is that I will be ~32 weeks during these dates and am not sure I should be traveling -- even short distances. I also would hate to end up going to a hospital where I know my doctor will not be the one taking care of me in case something goes wrong. Both my husband and his team mates would really love for me to attend which makes the decision even more difficult.

My husband is not comfortable with the idea of leaving me alone, and if something was to happen running the possibility of missing the birth of his child. Also, my sister works nights as does my father so spending the night at either of their homes would not provide any additional advantage over staying home alone where I can drive myself to the hospital if needed.

I really don't want him to miss this exciting event, but I feel torn on what the best way to proceed would be. Obviously we need to make up our mind as soon as possible since we have to book a flight and also give money for the deposit on the lodging.

Your thoughts and insight are appreciated.

Re: What would you do?

• Options
    Ask your OB and check the airline policies. Some have a specific week they don't want you flying after.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Options
    I would plan to go, but get your ticket as refundable or transferable in case your health changes between now and then. You can get a non refundable ticket cheaper for YH to help offset some of the increased cost for your ticket.

I don't feel 32 weeks is too late to travel if your pregnancy is progressing normally and not high risk. If it would ease your mind, look and see where the nearest high quality hospital is near the lodging that accepts your insurance.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great advice all! I'll make sure to get a refundable ticket if I end up deciding to go. Thanks for your insight! :\">
  • Options
    Most airlines allow you to travel up to 36 weeks. But check the policy and make sure you get travel insurance to cover if you need to cancel.
    Also ask your dr if it's ok. Since it depends on the kind of pregnancy you have. If you have had no issues then I would go.
    Just look into getting compression socks, drink lots of water during the flight and have fun!
  • Options
    You should be OK to travel at 32 weeks without any previous complications. If your doctor says you can go, go. That's what I would do.

It's a BOY

• Options
    I would also go if you have no history of preterm labor and your Dr gives you the OK.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    RayRay007RayRay007 member
    edited June 2014
    Undress you are high risk or have a history of PTL or have some other reason to think you will go into labour at 32 weeks I really wouldn't worry about it. Get cancellation insurance.

eta: LOL at undress. Just noticed that. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    I'm flying to Nevada from Arizona on Tuesday and will be 30+ weeks. From there we will be renting a car and driving to Lake Tahoe which is about an hour car ride. Because I am having a complication free pregnancy thus far, my doctor gave me the ok to travel up until 36 weeks. I think if you are feeling up to it, then you should make the trip!
  • Options
    Fair enough. Thank you all for your contributions :) I will book a refundable ticket now and speak with my doctor once he is back.
    This is my first pregnancy so I have nothing to base it on historically.
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I would plan to go, but get your ticket as refundable or transferable in case your health changes between now and then. You can get a non refundable ticket cheaper for YH to help offset some of the increased cost for your ticket.

I don't feel 32 weeks is too late to travel if your pregnancy is progressing normally and not high risk. If it would ease your mind, look and see where the nearest high quality hospital is near the lodging that accepts your insurance.

This is good advice.  I still felt pretty good at 32 weeks last time, and I have a trip/flight planned (for a bachelorette party, no less) this time at 33 weeks. 

Honestly, enjoy traveling now before you have the baby.  It gets much harder to travel (and more expensive) once you have kids. 

In terms of being home by yourself while your husband is out of town, my husband is traveling off and on up until I'm like 38 w, 3 days.  I'm nervous, and my closest family is 5 hours away.  I've decided to hire a doula to be on call in case I go into labor when DH isn't around (and to help out if he is).  Could your dad/sister leave work to help you out in an emergency?  Particularly for FTMs, you will likely have several hours after your labor starts before you need to head to the hospital (assuming you are low-risk). 

• Options
    mb314 said:

This is good advice.  I still felt pretty good at 32 weeks last time, and I have a trip/flight planned (for a bachelorette party, no less) this time at 33 weeks. 

Honestly, enjoy traveling now before you have the baby.  It gets much harder to travel (and more expensive) once you have kids. 

In terms of being home by yourself while your husband is out of town, my husband is traveling off and on up until I'm like 38 w, 3 days.  I'm nervous, and my closest family is 5 hours away.  I've decided to hire a doula to be on call in case I go into labor when DH isn't around (and to help out if he is).  Could your dad/sister leave work to help you out in an emergency?  Particularly for FTMs, you will likely have several hours after your labor starts before you need to head to the hospital (assuming you are low-risk). 
    You are absolutely correct. I should stop being such a wuss and share a fun experience with my husband before we have the baby and go through the inevitable changes that come with it.

Both my dad and sister would be in a position to leave work and either come take me to the hospital, or meet me there. So even if I am not given the okay by my doctor for some reason, I should be fine without my husband for a few days.

Thanks for helping me put things into perspective a little better!
  • Options
    Check with your insurance company, esp if you have an HMO. I've heard of HMOs not covering labor and delivery if you travel outside your network (away from your home hospital) after a certain point in your pregnancy. If you have a PPO it is probably not an issue.
    This is an excellent point! I have PPO, so I should be okay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"