Cloth Diapering

NCDR BFing Questions

Still gearing up to make BFing a successful event this time... I keep hearing to have water bottles and snacks handy for when I am nursing. Would you recommend having a basket of goodies near anywhere I might nurse? And if so, what all would you put in it? I immediately think of granola bars, but I'm kind of afraid that would provide too much roughage for the first week or two. I'm afraid dried fruit and nuts would still be a choking hazard for DS1, who will inevitably want what I am eating or find my stash when I've got my back turned. I'm seriously drawing a blank as to what to keep upstairs for snacks. Peanut butter crackers??

Also, how many breast pads should I have on-hand? My milk barely came in at all last time, so I never leaked. I have no idea what to anticipate this time. I have all the materials to make them, so I would rather make more than enough (within reason) now rather than being short of them when DS2 arrives. Also, I'm basing my homemade pads off of the one pair of Bamboobies that I got as a free sample. They have a layer of PUL, but I notice some others do not. Do you prefer with or without PUL?

Re: NCDR BFing Questions

• I love granola bars as easy to grab snacks. And string cheese. Anything with protein and a little sugar to keep your blood sugar regulated and metabolism happy :-) Also, oatmeal is supposed to be really good for your supply. We eat eat every morning with cranberries, cinnamon, and a little brown sugar. And bananas and PB is a favorite too.

I have a large supply so I have about 15 pairs of breast pads. I usually go through two pairs a day. But I also got the milkies milk saver to help with the leaking. The more the better IMO.

GL - I hope you are successful with your go at BFing! :-)
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I should have bought stock in Graham Crackers when I was nursing. It was my go-to snack. I also liked cheese, fruit, Nutella toast, pretty much anything I could eat with one hand! I would actually recommend having little food stashes and water anywhere you might find yourself nursing. It's just one less thing to think about (in my opinion).
     I'd say 15 pairs is a great start. I was constantly running outer, and I probably have 8-12 pairs (?). Mine don't have PUL, but it would be nice if they did. You can probably get by with fewer pairs if they have PUL.
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Loading the player...
  • I must be the odd ball, I have 4 sets of Bamboobies. But I didn't leak much.

I just kept snacks within reach in the kitchen. Anything with protein that I could eat one hands and reach for one handed.

With my second I was fine with walking and nursing if necessary. So I could grab anything quick if I needed.

I had Luna bars, cheese sticks and yogurt. I also made batches of oatmeal every 4 days or so.
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    I have about 4 of those 32oz plastic cups with straws and lids.  I just stashed them everywhere I might nurse and refilled & washed them every day or two.  

As far as snacks, I loved Lara bars, homemade granola, crackers dipped in peanut butter, raisins, and things I could grab from the fridge and eat quickly like bagels, apples, carrot sticks, cheese sticks, etc.

I agree with RugbyMama about the oatmeal.  I also sprinkled mine with flaxseed since that's also supposed to be good for your supply.  And don't forget dark beer. :D

I'm one of those special snowflakes.  I leaked some the first couple weeks when I was engorged, and I like bamboobies for that.  After that I never leaked.  I gave away all my disposable pads.  I did keep 3 pair of bamboobies to use at night when I would put on nipple cream.  That stuff stains like crazy, and I didn't want it staining my nursing tanks/bras.

Oh and do yourself a favor and have some Lansinoh soothies in the fridge.  I wore those things whenever I wasn't nursing for like the first 3 weeks.  Having them cool is amazing!  

image imageimageimage

• Robi1Robi1 member
    I leaked a ton. I'm definitely getting the milk savers ones next time! I had probably 8 pairs, and ran through them quickly. You only need to have enough to get you through til you can do laundry, so if you do laundry every 2 days, then you'll need more than if you do it every day, less than if you only do it every 3 days or more, obviously. Mine did not have PUL and I had to change them immediately when I leaked or they'd soak through to my shirt. I often put two on one boob if I was nursing on the other side. So, I'd recommend PUL, as it would hopefully solve that issue. 

No idea about the snacks. I didn't eat much snack food while nursing, and just drank from my regular water bottle.
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Oh, and I'm sure you'll know this by now, but if you're allergic to lanolin (even just a little), lansinoh won't make things better, it'll make it worse ;) I always just rubbed a little breast milk on each side after G was finished and let it dry before covering up. I was amazed at the difference after I stopped using lanolin!
    London Eye 

• Oh, and I'm sure you'll know this by now, but if you're allergic to lanolin (even just a little), lansinoh won't make things better, it'll make it worse ;) I always just rubbed a little breast milk on each side after G was finished and let it dry before covering up. I was amazed at the difference after I stopped using lanolin!
    I'm glad you said this! I wouldn't have thought to attribute soreness to the lanolin. I have used it to lanolize diapers, but I've never noticed a reaction. I might dab some on my skin just to spot test and see what it does.

I'm glad you said this! I wouldn't have thought to attribute soreness to the lanolin. I have used it to lanolize diapers, but I've never noticed a reaction. I might dab some on my skin just to spot test and see what it does.
    I used Earth Mama Angel Baby's Nipple Butter. 
  • I made a big batch of lactation cookies and ate those a lot. My daughter oddly didn't like them so it was great. I like pads without pul because I want then to breath. I don't leak much though so I never wear them much.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • km_mdkm_md member
    I had fruit washed and ready in the fridge, crackers, water everywhere, foods that I could eat with one hand easily.

I leaked a ton for the first little while but I just used some face cloths that I had in the house instead of buying pads. As long as there were enough to get you through until laundry day I was good. Now I only need to wear a pair at night for sleeping and I don't leak much during the day if at all.

• Robi1Robi1 member
    I also stuffed newborn prefolds in my nursing tank when I was leaking a lot, especially at night. It was way easier than the pads, which would shift around in my sleep and not stay in place, and not hold that much. Not very attractive, however. :P
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • I need pads for at least 5 mos, but I have a super fast let down. I have at least 10 pairs of ones that I really like (2 layers OBV and PUL surged) and another 6 that I use overnight that I'm not crazy about.
    No help on the snacks. My time nursing is spent playing referee between my other 2 kids.
  • For snacks I ate a lot of graham crackers and bananas. But DS was difficult to nurse in the beginning so I couldn't nurse him and eat at the same time. Water was essential though, my letdown would cause an instant feeling of dying of thirst!

For breast pads I had 7 sets of the daytime bamboobies and 7 sets of nighttime ones. I sometimes only do laundry once a week so I wanted enough for a whole week. I had some pads without PUL but really preferred the ones with it. During the day I only really leak when I have a letdown. In the early days it would leak a lot so I'd keep a burp rag handy to stick over the opposite breast so I wouldn't soak my breast pad. DS is 11 months and I still leak on the opposite breast so I still wear my bamboobies for that. I don't have random letdowns anymore though.
  • I mostly remember that I couldn't get through a day unless I had 2 eggs at some point. Once I actually had time to make breakfast, that wasn't a problem, but if you want to do things ahead of time and keep it simple, you could always do a bunch of hard-boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge so you can just pull a couple out anytime. Eat as-is or slice them on top of a salad. 

I have 6 pairs of merino wool breast pads. I like that they don't get all clammy when they're wet. I don't think they're machine washable, but I've found it easy enough to soak them for a bit and then run them over a washboard a few times.
  • I mostly remember that I couldn't get through a day unless I had 2 eggs at some point. Once I actually had time to make breakfast, that wasn't a problem, but if you want to do things ahead of time and keep it simple, you could always do a bunch of hard-boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge so you can just pull a couple out anytime. Eat as-is or slice them on top of a salad. 

I have 6 pairs of merino wool breast pads. I like that they don't get all clammy when they're wet. I don't think they're machine washable, but I've found it easy enough to soak them for a bit and then run them over a washboard a few times.
    What was it about the eggs? Protein? I rarely eat eggs, so I guess I'll need to look for something similar to replace them.

• CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    Or greek yogurt.  I love that for protein.  

image imageimageimage

• Okay, so I'm definitely going to cobble together a snack kit to keep in DS2's room with protein bars, nuts, crackers, and some kind of cookies. I'll keep cheese sticks and bananas on hand downstairs. We almost always have those anyway, but it will be good to remember to keep extra. I've got several reusable water bottles, but I might splurge and get a few Tervis tumblers with travel lids (DS1 would want to play with the straws) in the hopes that I will drink more water if it's contained in something pretty. :p I'll plan to make 10-12 pairs of pads and order a set of Milk Savers if it looks like I'm making enough for them to do any good. I've got a small pot of EMAB. What am I missing?

What was it about the eggs? Protein? I rarely eat eggs, so I guess I'll need to look for something similar to replace them.

Protein, yes, but also high in Omega-3's. Good fats for baby's brain development. You can also get them from plenty of other food sources, though.
  • CLLDLL said:

Yes! With granola!

My fave lately has been Granola Factory's Bethlehem Inn honey pecan. It's made in Bethlehem, PA. Found it at Wegman's and it's so addicting!
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• km_mdkm_md member
    Oh @esd reminded me! My mom bought me some nursing stuff when I came home with E and in it was a package of Lansinoh hot/cold packs with little gel beads. I was lucky and didn't need to use them a lot but when I did get a clogged duct or whatever those things were amazing.

• CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    I second or third? the hot/cold packs.

Also Camel Bak is all we buy for D to use at school. It's the only water bottle we've found that holds up to elementary school abuse.

image imageimageimage

• esd said:
    Other random things - Do you have a breast pump? I got a new one through my insurance. Also medela makes these nursing pads that go in the fridge - https://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=/product/index.jsp?productId=2901998&domain=http://www.toysrus.com Although they're disposable, they are very soothing; especially early on.
    I have one set that looks similar to this but doesn't get chilled and another reusable set that can be chilled or warmed. I may grab some of these, too.

Also, I have to wait until after delivery to get a breast pump b/c my doc has to write a prescription for my insurance to cover it. I'm not really sure when to start pumping, though. Last time they had me start in the hospital b/c DS1 wouldn't latch and my milk wasn't coming in, but I've read that you don't need to start until 4 weeks PP normally. There are so many different answers!

• @CLLDLL and @MapleMe I didn't know Camel Bak made anything other than the backpack-style water pouches. I will check them out!

• TJ1979TJ1979 member

CLLDLL said:

Yes! With granola!

My fave lately has been Granola Factory's Bethlehem Inn honey pecan. It's made in Bethlehem, PA. Found it at Wegman's and it's so addicting!

mmm, yes to granola.  i lived off of it when trying to boost my supply on the mspi diet.  i usually make my own, but I recently tried some from a little bakery in VT and it's awesomeness in a bowl.  

i believe @mapleme has heard of them as well ;)

I haven't had it, but I bet it's delicious! I might have to order some soon.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • @CLLDLL and @MapleMe I didn't know Camel Bak made anything other than the backpack-style water pouches. I will check them out!
    I second the Camel Bak.  I got one for my daughter.  The only down fall is she found out she can push the straw in and the liquid comes out.  But I just make sure it's sealed really well.
  • esd said:
    Other random things - Do you have a breast pump? I got a new one through my insurance. Also medela makes these nursing pads that go in the fridge - https://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=/product/index.jsp?productId=2901998&domain=http://www.toysrus.com Although they're disposable, they are very soothing; especially early on.
    I have one set that looks similar to this but doesn't get chilled and another reusable set that can be chilled or warmed. I may grab some of these, too.

Also, I have to wait until after delivery to get a breast pump b/c my doc has to write a prescription for my insurance to cover it. I'm not really sure when to start pumping, though. Last time they had me start in the hospital b/c DS1 wouldn't latch and my milk wasn't coming in, but I've read that you don't need to start until 4 weeks PP normally. There are so many different answers!
    I started pumping when my milk came in and I was massively leaking because I figured there was no use in wasting it. I didn't start pumping at regular intervals until about 6 months, though... So yeah, lots of different answers 
    London Eye 

• Also, J loves his Camel Bak bottle (and G loves it too ;) )
    London Eye 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"