Toddlers: 24 Months+

Potty Training Issues..

I have a very stubborn 3 year old boy. He was going on the potty all the time, and then all of a sudden he refused. He is back in pull-ups and every time I asked him to go to the bathroom he throws a fit. I have tried potty prizes, telling him that big boys use the potty, m&ms. He knows HOW to use the potty, he just refuses to do it.  I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Re: Potty Training Issues..

• According to our pediatrician, these behaviors are all normal. My son who is 2 and a half does the same exact thing. He knows how to use the potty and has done so many times but he will not go on his own. I no longer ask my son if he has to pee or poop because the answer will always be NO even if he has to go. 

Here lately I have been making him pull his shorts and pull ups down and sitting on the potty at random times and trying to go. Sometimes it works and sometimes he doesn't do anything but as long as he is trying, I am happy with that.

Another thing my mom got me doing is setting an alarm to go off every 30-45 minutes (watch, cell phone, kitchen stove timer, etc.). I tell my son that when he hears the alarm going off that means you have to go to the potty. I only did this for a short time frame and not all day. Of course he cried and whined but he sat down there and tried. A couple times while crying he actually peed LOL! 

Now here is the crazy thing, he throws a fit when he is made to sit on the potty but let him actually pee or poop and he is the happiest kid around and he wants anybody who is near to come in the bathroom to see what he did! LOL! 

That said, your not alone. I have tried a number of things that might have worked for some people but didn't work for me so I am still just experimenting and being creative and hoping he gets over this phase of not wanting to use his potty!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"