August 2014 Moms

Hospital Valet

jmathi0149jmathi0149 member
edited June 2014 in August 2014 Moms
My hospital offers a free valet service which I think is wonderful since parking is always a nightmare. What is the etiquette with this service? Should you tip them like you would any other valet service or are they really just there to help out? We are always good at tipping. I just want to be prepared. I don't want to be worried about not having enough cash for them if that is the expectation.

Edit- one more question: 

If you do use the valet service, how soon should SO go out and get the car/ move it to a regular spot? Or do you leave it there until you leave it with them until you leave the hospital?

Re: Hospital Valet

• The valet at my hospital is not allowed to accept tips but that may be bc they only have a valet due to construction.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• There's free valet at my hospital but I never considered using it, maybe when I'm in real labor but parking isn't really all that bad.

If we do use valet I'll have FI have a small tip of about $3-$5 available in case they accept tips (but I don't think their allowed to) and I'll have FI move it before the valet leaves (i think it's available until 9 pm)
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • The hospital I gave birth at in sept had it only during business hours. They were volunteers and most of the time wouldn't take a tip, they just wanted to feel like they were doing something.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We always tip valet- especially if it's free, I think it's tacky not too. If they can't accept it, they will let you know :) for the record, my hospital valet is free and they accept tips.

Re: your other question I think if you valet when in labor, I wouldn't worry about having the car moved until after the baby came.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I always tip a couple dollars, and i always use it, as the parking is no where near i need to be... Also your second question, our hospital only asks that you let them know if you plan to be there longer than 6pm, if so they park your car in a farther spot so they can keep close spots for routine appointments, and if you get there after 6, and wont be gone before 6am, same thing...

I would just use the valet and ask him all the questions you have... Thats what i did and i am sure he thought i was crazy until he saw my belly! :)

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Ours has a sign posted that they cannot accept tips of any form for valet service.  They only offer it on the maternity side now, unfortunately.  It was great when it was on the general admission side too.  
    Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • My hospital offers valet at all the entrances: main (which includes family birthplace) ER, and the cancer center. They tell you to use the valet. I've been having to go 2x/week for NSTs and wondered about tipping as well but they don't accept them. I think it's a lovely service of the hospital. They just always ask how long you expect to be. For NSTs they keep it parked close. For longer stays they find a spot further away.
  • Thank you so much for all of the information ladies! I will make sure to have some money on hand just in case they are allowed to accept tips!
  • RacllaRaclla member
    Where are these fancy hospitals with valet service?!  lol

DH dropped me off at the ER entrance, parked the car, and then met me by the registration counter.  They put me in a wheel chair as soon as he helped me get out of the car.  

If it had been during normal business hours, he'll just drop me at the front door, park the car, and then meet me in the lobby.  
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • An FYI about moving it, you may go out to the car at some point and find time to park it. I know my DH ran out (quickly) for food during my long labor (I didn't want him eating in the room) and then after delivery and we got to the room he went to get the other suitcases and boppy pillow and stuff from the car. So those may be two chances to park it later.
    CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy #3 after two prior losses in 2013

EDD 8/18 

• Ours has valet during the week only. They don't accept tips for the valet or the spa in the hospital since they're a non profit. You could call information and ask.
  • My husband worked as a hospital valet for a while when we were younger. I asked him about tipping and he said "Definitely!" Even just $1.00. They are making close to minimum wage and in every type of weather. And as I'm typing this he's getting angry remembering working in the pouring rain... Twice the amount if cars and making barely any money for being miserable and wet all day. Needless to say, he didn't stay at that job for very long!
    BabyName Ticker
  • No valet at my hospital. But at least the garage is free for patients! I am planning on having my mom with me so hopefully she can park while DH and I go in.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Wow, I'd never even thought of a hospital valet. My hospital is on the small side and generally pretty empty when I go in for my appointments. Even if they had a valet, I doubt I would use that service, but I would definitely try to tip if I did.

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• During out L&D tour, they made it a point to tell us about the hospital's valet service.  DH can either drop the car in a parking spot, OR the valet can park it for us in the parking garage.  Our call.  Also, they gave us a number to call or text when we're ready to leave the hospital and the valet will go get the car for us and bring it around. 

I hadn't even THOUGHT about tipping them.  I'll make sure DH has some money on him and at least offer it to them.  Or, when I go for my breastfeeding class, I'll ask the valet on duty if they're allowed to take tips.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"