February 2014 Moms
Options

Hot Topic - Kid Beauty Pageants

MissDemeanorMissDemeanor member
edited June 2014 in February 2014 Moms
Yes, my last hot topic was inspired by a TLC show too. But what do you think of putting kids in beauty pageants? Do you approve of "glitz" pageants? How young is too young? Would you allow or encourage your daughter to be in one?

Bonus Question: If you were in a pageant, what would your talent be? Forty Thousand bonus points for pictures
F14 Siggy Challenge

Re: Hot Topic - Kid Beauty Pageants

• Options
    Im all for older pageants that raise Scholarship money and the women actually have a specific platform and if given the title, use their title to address issues around the country and do great work....

When it comes to children's pageants absolutely not...I think when they are young it just becomes a beauty thing, I wouldn't let Ava do them as a child and I am not sure about when she is older either. 

If I was in a pageant dancing would be my talent.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. Not gonna happen when my kid is a kid.

DH's cousin started pageants in HS and that's been good for her, scholarship wise, so I'm cool with it at that point.
    I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I actually have a friend from high school whose daughter was on Toddlers & Tiaras a couple of years ago.  Because of that, and lots of pictures that I see of her daughter, I don't really care for pageants.  She always has a ton of makeup on and she's 7 years old.  It just seems like it could screw with her self-esteem at some point.

Though, I guess if my kid really, really wanted to do it, I wouldn't forbid it.  
  • Options
    Things that bug me about pageants (with my TLC knowledge ): the SUPER airbrushed photos, and the "most beautiful" category.

I didn't think we really had pageants here, but I was at the rodeo and saw the current reining Miss BC, and another girl with a sash and crown.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    (( @ChiaWombat‌ )). Little Bep would have felt the same way.
    Ditto this. Both the feeling and hugs. It's such a reminder of how much words can hurt, and effect (affect??) kids
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Where I grew up, kid pageants weren't common, other than the annual 'heritage festival' (back then, "Dairy Days", "Corn Fest" etc). We had Miss (town) and Little Miss (town)--but they weren't really what I would call pageants. I ran when I was in high school, and was 1st runner up, only because I sold less buttons than the winner.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    Nope nope nope. If DD really wants to be in a pageant, I'll find one of the "real beauty" pageants, but no way in hell is my kid getting dolled up like a 22 year old trolling for a rich husband. Toddlers don't need fake hair, fake eyelashes, and spray tans to be cute.
  • Options
    I competed in the miss America system for a years in high school. I basically was looking for other places to perform and try out rep for my college auditions. But I was 16, way different than a little one. I don't love the idea for below preteens, and MH would definitely say no way, so it's not going to happen.

My talent is singing... I've been doing it my whole life and have trained in classical/opera, musical theater and jazz.
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • Options
    Meghan14Meghan14 member
    edited June 2014
    I don't agree with it. Children should look like children, not tiny little women. I agree with France, it should be banned. I don't think it's a big thing here in Canada like it is in the southern US, and regardless what the parents say, it really is for them, not the child.  Obviously I wouldn'tput my LO in one. 
    This! So strongly this. 
    LO is a boy though, so I doubt it will be an issue.  Maybe if he shows an interest I'll change my "no" and let him enter demanding equal rights for my son??

If I was in a pageant, my talent?  mmmm, I don't really have anything I could do on stage.  Maybe bring in an oil painting I did at home?  A research paper?  

Edit because "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"