Parenting

Q for those w/ kids in speech therapy

DS is almost 18mo and was evaluated by EI at 16 months (pedi suggested it for lack of speech). The results were that he has an expressive language delay, but all other areas were age appropriate. He qualified for what they call "family training and counseling" 2x a month, bc according to the coordinator, 16mo is still on the young side to do a direct speech therapy and between 12-18mo there is still so much variance in language between kids.

So basically a therapist comes out 2x a month and pretty much plays with DS (while talking to him during various activities to try to encourage language). She tells me that although his expressive language is behind, he's doing amazing in all other areas and he has great receptive language, which is great to hear.

Within the last month or so, hes definitely started vocalizing a lot more with lots of different sounds and babbles (lots of b, g, c, p, & n sounds), and his new word for everything lately is "up" (probably bc whenever we stack blocks we say "up!" So now he says it). Other than that, the only other actual word i hear him say is "dada" or "kee kee" when he sees the cat sometimes.

Sorry that was long winded, but I wanted opinions from those with experience in this area. Am i being impatient/putting the cart before the horse or should I be pushing for a more targeted speech therapy more than twice a month? I plan to follow up with the pedi at his 18 month appt next week, but figured I'd ask you folks as well. TIA guys :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Q for those w/ kids in speech therapy

• flyingsaucerflyingsaucer member
    edited June 2014
    After his 18 month birthday (or you can wait until 2, but for sure then) if you are still concerned, I would call a meeting to have the committee revisit or re-evaluate the situation. If he still has a significant delay, I would push for regular speech therapy. Twice a month does not sound to me like it would be consistent enough to make good progress. I vote the more that kids can get earlier, the better. A can't hurt to try! Good luck
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @flyingsaucer‌ thats where I was at..I even asked the coordinator why he only qualified for 2x a month and she assured me that they weren't withholding services, but they also wanted to give him adequate time to catch up on his own before starting more intensive speech therapy.

They were also waiting on results from some ENT issues he's been having (fluid in the ears and he also just had an x ray to rule out adenoids issues, although at his last ENT appt the ear fluid was gone, but they're still keeping an eye on it to see whether he'll need tubes or not). So idk. I guess with all the ENT stuff up the air, they're hesitant to start speech therapy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Even with the ENT stuff, he may need speech. If he just started 2 mos ago, maybe give it a few more months and wait until he turns 2 to re-evaluate. That would give you time to explore the ear stuff and see if he makes adequate progress with getting support twice per month. Waiting a few more months may give you all a clearer picture
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm new and hope you don't mind me responding. I'm currently an SLP in EI and I would push for more therapy. Just my 2 cents. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.
  • When DS started speech at 2 he was only going once every other week. So basically twice a month. It was stepped up to every week after a few months. They are probably giving him time to develop the language on his own, especially since he is doing so well in other areas.
  • We currently only go once every two weeks and DS1 has a diagnosis of childhood apraxia of speech. Basically, like your son, my DS was good in all areas but expressive language. We started speech therapy at 31 months and have been going once every two weeks and he has caught up on his expressive language delay. He still has many articulation errors due to the apraxia that need work. I was able to get him into a special needs preK program that has him in school 4 mornings a week, which both his slp and I think will greatly help him. He now will get his speech therapy in a class room setting and will no longer see his slp. I'm hoping he's at the level of his peers by kindie in two years.
  • Oh yah...I applied for the preK program because it would be more intensive than his current speech therapy.
  • DS has OT, PT, and speech therapy. His therapists say 90% of the improvement/progress comes from the work we do at home with him. I'm sure you're working with him plenty but maybe you could ask for additional things you can do at home? Definitely ask for more therapy, too; it never hurts to ask. I will say DS takes quite a while to learn new skills but he is kind of a slacker :) Good luck!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• @flerlgirl‌ thats pretty much the main point of the "family training/counseling" sessions he gets now. Its more so based on teaching us techniques to work with him, rather than a more direct "speech therapy" per se. So yeah.

According to the coordinator, I'm doing all the right things as far as working with him, its more just waiting on him to progress and also rule out all the ENT crap (possibility of ear tubes/adenoid removal).

So basically she told me not to worry since hes doong great in all other areas, we already have them (EI) involved, and they'll be keeping an eye on his progress and will bump up his services if/when they feel its necessary.
  • I guess it just feels like a lot of waiting to me. Although, I'm admittedly not the most patient person. Guess I need to work on that :)
  • I kept pushing the issue, especially after DS turned 2 and still barely spoke. It took three different slps before anyone recognized there was an issue, even though my gut said he wasn't developing normally.
  • @algalphys‌ if you dont mind me asking, who made the diagnosis? The SLP or your pedi?

Im certainly not trying to borrow troubles here (EI coordinator told us speech delays are the most common delay in kids this age), but I'm also trying to be proactive. According to our pedi, when it comes to speech delays, its best to nip it in the bud asap instead of waiting, so thats what I'd liketo do.
  • Slp made the diagnosis. We don't have a pedi. (I'm in canada and where I live unless there are major issues you see a gp-generally speaking of course). At his 18 month shots with the public health nurse is when we put him on the eval list with the speech therapist. We knew there would be about a 6 month wait. It was past 6 months and I hadn't heard from the slp yet so I got a private eval. A week later, public health called for another assessment. So at 2, two separate slps said yah his expressive is delayed, here's some sheets with tips and tricks and we will put you on the 6 month call back list in case there isn't improvement. They called 7 months later, there was no improvement. New slp, new assessment, apraxia diagnosis.

He was just re-evaluated at his last speech session and like I mentioned, he's essentially caught up. We are going to try a speech sound assessment next appointment to see where he is in that regard. He has come such a long way with what I consider to be not enough therapy so I'm hopeful we will see even more improvement when he starts school and is around kids 4 mornings a week.

I know it's hard to wait, I'm not patient either! What bothered me the most was peoples silent or outward judging at his lack of speech (whether it was really there or in my head, I'll never know!)

Feel free to pm me or page me if you have any more questions!
  • MrsT0514MrsT0514 member
    edited June 2014
    Ah, I didnt realize you were in Canada. That explains the difference in the process. Im in the US, so EI eval/services until the age of 3 are all done through the state. After age 3 its usually through the school district. So my main thing is, if my DS does need more speech therapy, I'd rather he get it sooner than later, before he ages out of EI. Either way, I'm so glad to hear your DS has made such awesome progress and is almost caught up!

Like our pedi said, when it comes to speech delays, its best to get a head start on any issues, so that hopefully by the time the kids get to school-age, they're caught up. So thats my game plan. Best of luck and thanks for sharing!

Eta tag @algalphys‌
  • Yup...you keep pushing til you get what you need to put your mind at ease that DS is getting all the help he needs and deserves @MrsT0514‌
  • LBibLBib member
    DS1 started once a week speech therapy for an expressive-only delay at about 20 months. We knew there was a delay at about 14-16 months when we were referred to EI by our pedi. We first went for additional hearing tests. After physical causes were ruled out there were two in-home evaluations. One with DH and I and then one with DS. Once we were approved our SLP came to our home for about an hour each week to play with DS and provide strategies to us to help him talk. By the time he was 2.5 yo he graduated out. The help we got was amazing. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Now we can't get the kid to zip it :-).
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Here is my story - sorry ahead of time for it being long.

At DS's 18 month old well visit I asked the pedi to make a referral to Early Intervention because I was concerned about his lack of speech (about 4 words at that point but none consistent).  Pedi agreed and he was assessed about 3 weeks later.  At the assessment I was told he qualified for special instruction once a week - that started about 1.5 weeks later. The special instructor is basically what you described, someone who comes out and plays with him and me and talks about strategies I can use during the week while playing with him to encourage his use of words and sounds.  She also taught us some sign language to help him communicate his needs while he was learning to use words.  

At the 3 month review, he was making progress in that he had more words and was using sign language to communicate needs for things he didn't have words for, and had recently had tubes put in his ears due to fluid build up.  The coordinator and special instructor started throwing around words like childhood apraxia of speech because of "how" he was talking, but said it was still a little early for a diagnosis.  They gave me paperwork to read more about it.  We decided to keep the services the same becasue we were seeing progress and had just had the tubes put in. 

At his six month review, I asked if we could add a speech and language pathologist to the special instructor becasue though he was making progress, it did not seem like it was going as fast as I would expect if the delay was only due to the fluid in his ears.  They agreed to have one come out an assess him and she told me the day of his assessment that he qualified and she began working with him the next week. 

At his 9 month review, the SLP said she at that point did not think it was childhood apraxia of speech. She asked that I have his tonsils and adenoids check and i agreed to do that.  We kept services the same as he was continuing to make progress.  By this point he was using works consistently and we were working on expanding sentence length to 3-4 words. 

By his 12 month review, he had had a second surgery to remove his adenoids and replace the tubes in his ears that had fallen out.  He was talking consistently in 4-5 word sentences and they decided to drop the special instruction and only continue on with the SLP.  This is where we are now and he has his next evaluation at the end of July to determine what services he will get when he turns 3 in September.  The SLP feels confident that he will still be eligible for speech therapy due to his articulation issues which is what she is currently working with him on.

My advice to you is to use whatever services you can get and dont be afraid to ask for more at your reviews.  I assume you have a case manager - use her.  Also enlist the help of your special instructor - they have lots of resource of information that they can hook you up with - you just have to ask.  My special instructor was a special ed pre-school teacher during the day so I was able to take advantage of all her knowledge and expertise working with a variety of kids with delays.  When the services first started I was a little unsure, because I would look at what she was doing with him and think "isn't this exactly what I already do?"  but trust me, it works.  I found that sign language, especially in the beginning, was incredibly helpful becasue we were both getting frustrated when I didn't know what he wanted and he had no way to tell me. Some of his first words and sentences were ones that we first used sign language with.    16 months is pretty young for targeted speech therapy - DS still struggles through the sessions and he is 2 1/2.  At the younger ages, play really is the best way to do any type of therapy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"