November 2013 Moms

What is your motivation?

What do you all use as motivation to exercise and eat right? I can stay motivated short term but suck at long term.
For example, I had done really good at lifting hard and eating clean for a couple of months knowing that my step daughter's graduation party was coming up. Here was my pathetic motivation: I knew Dh's ex- wife was going to be there and I'll admit, I wanted to make damn sure I looked way better than her. Pathetic, I know, but mission accomplished. She showed up looking like a white trash wannabe Barbie as usual so it wasn't too hard. And I was in my pre-baby size and felt genuinely pretty for the first time in over a year, which was awesome.
Now...it's been two weeks and I've been eating whatever and my workouts...eh...what's that? My stomach is still a hot mess even though I've lost the weight, so bikinis and fitted shirts are still not my friend.
I know for something to stick long term motivation has to be internal, so I'm wondering what you all use to get your ass off the couch, and to put the cookies and cream ice cream down.
How I feel lately:

Re: What is your motivation?

• Loading the player...
  • Karadee1Karadee1 member
    edited June 2014
    I have very little motivation to exercise besides nightly walks around the neighborhood. But I started using MyFitnessPal two weeks ago to keep track of what I eat and it has made a huge difference. I've already lost 10 pounds and I was at my heaviest weight ever. (I know 10 pounds is a lot in just 2 weeks, but trust I am not starving myself and I am overweight and have a long way to go.)

My motivation for eating healthy is wanting to be able to feed G what we eat, and I want him to eat good, healthy food for the most part. I also want to be pregnant again like right now, but finding cute plus sized maternity clothes last time was a huge hassle, so I'd like to get back down into normal sizes before I get pregnant again.

Edited for clarity.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow @housewifehair‌, and @JoeLies‌ I have been thinking about what you wrote all day. It really helped me put things in perspective. I need to stop being so lame and really remember that being active is a privilege. I have found that being lazy is not an option with the little one. We do go for walks and go in the pool daily since there is only so much time he can spend randomly looking for crap around the house that he can kill himself on. I guess I feel drained and if I do have energy, I usually end up cleaning. I do need to take care of myself like the rest of you mentioned, we have a much bigger responsibility now than just looking hot. I need to keep up with my kid, and hopefully look hot along the way. :) Thanks for all of your advice, I really do appreciate it. I did find myself making MUCH better food choices today, and will be hitting the pavement once LO wakes up. 
  • @bglovesbabyk‌ don't discount cleaning and walking and playing with your LO, it might not be conventional exercise, but it most definitely gets you moving and active! Glad you found some motivation!
  • edited June 2014
    Lol!!! That's def a guy thing to do lol!! Dh had muscles pre babies and I would catch him flexing in the mirror and admiring himself. I made fun of him for it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"