Military Families
Options

Damages from movers

We just PCS'd and the movers damaged numerous items. We filled out the initial hand written document and notified them of a impending claim but I'm curious if anyone has tips/suggestions before we fill out the online info. We are waiting to get everything unpacked.

I'll be requesting that we no longer use Covan/Coleman American in the future. This is the first time we've had serious damage and it wad already up to 5 items before they even got done unloading!!! Not to mention they put things together but didn't even tighten them. So freakin mad!!!!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU

Re: Damages from movers

• Options
    The claims process has changed a lot since the last time I had to claim damage.

Honestly, I don't think you can request not to use one company or another.  It's not really the COMPANY'S fault anyway, it's the individual movers/packers along the way.  Keep in mind that the people who pack up your furniture and load it into the truck are normally day laborers with little to no training.  This is industry standard as far as I can tell.  Also, most damage to furniture takes place when it's being moved into and out of storage at either end.   So I don't think requesting not to use a specific company anymore would be effective (if they would even honor such a request).  HOWVER if there are enough claims against a company, then the military will stop using them.

Otherwise, take pictures of the damage.  Dig out receipts for furniture if you still have them.  If you have photos from BEFORE the move, find those too.

Good luck.  The claims process can suck, but you should get reimbursed in the end, even if it takes a while.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There was a section on the initial paperwork that asked if there were any companies that you preferred to use/not use. Now whether or not they would follow that is anyone's guess. I'm sure it's all about money.

The packers did an awesome job!!!! They took their time and did it right. The driver was the same for pickup and delivery, and was super lazy. All he did at pickup was put stickers on larger, unpacked items (and missed a lot of items) and all he wanted to do at delivery was put furniture together while the other two unloaded the truck. I kept hearing them complain and tell him he needs to help. Then I go sit down at the table and it and the chair I'm sitting on wobbles!!!!

Anyway, a dresser has a huge hole in the back, a bookcase has a chunk out of it, an entertainment center has a huge gash in it, our baby swing has the wiring bent and rubbed until it's bare, and the brand new crib mattress has a cut in it from where they opened the box with a knife, etc....

It's disheartening, annoying, frustrating ....

I just didn't know if they actually reimburse us, or not. I'm sure there is all kinds of bs to go through.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LaciJaxx said:
    There was a section on the initial paperwork that asked if there were any companies that you preferred to use/not use. Now whether or not they would follow that is anyone's guess. I'm sure it's all about money. The packers did an awesome job!!!! They took their time and did it right. The driver was the same for pickup and delivery, and was super lazy. All he did at pickup was put stickers on larger, unpacked items (and missed a lot of items) and all he wanted to do at delivery was put furniture together while the other two unloaded the truck. I kept hearing them complain and tell him he needs to help. Then I go sit down at the table and it and the chair I'm sitting on wobbles!!!! Anyway, a dresser has a huge hole in the back, a bookcase has a chunk out of it, an entertainment center has a huge gash in it, our baby swing has the wiring bent and rubbed until it's bare, and the brand new crib mattress has a cut in it from where they opened the box with a knife, etc.... It's disheartening, annoying, frustrating .... I just didn't know if they actually reimburse us, or not. I'm sure there is all kinds of bs to go through.
    I'm pretty sure they will either pay for repairs or for replacement, up to a capped amount.   If something can be repaired (like a gash in furniture that can be sanded out and refinished) and it's less expensive than a replacement, they'll do that instead.   You may need to provide receipts for some items, or at least prove how much it costs.

They used to only reimburse to the actual value of the item (so if it was an older TV, they would only pay the $25 or whatever market value was), but that was ages ago.  Now I think they reimburse to replacement value (again, capped for a total amount for your move).  If replacement isn't covered, you can always check with your homeowners/renters insurance policy, you might get it paid for that way.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It is such a frustrating process! Pcsed little over a year ago. They broke 2 legs off our couch and scratch and dinged pur brand new dining table. They said that the couch would cost $200 to fix and since the pictures before and after of the table couldn't prove anything. Make sure you upload all your pictures and have receipts for items damaged. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    I think that company is under investigation by the army for fraud. There have been articles floating around fb.
  • Options
    Yes, it is. Thankfully we were far below our max weight, which is what the investigation is for. As I'm unpacking I'm also noticing things missing. Which I was afraid of when they were bringing things off the truck with no stickers. Ugh! This is a nightmare. Hard lesson learned, I guess.

As of right now, we are only here for 11 months. The next mover is going to hate me!

imageimageimage

• Options
    Pictures of the damage, receipts if you have them, and if they're antique items you'll need appraisal information. As long as you're thorough they will send you money for the damages. When we moved to Germany the movers did a bunch of damage to our furniture and even though it took awhile we got the exact amount we asked for on the claim. We move again in a few months and I'm really not looking forward to dealing with it again.
  • Options
    We moved less than a year ago and I filed the damage claim just over a month after they delivered everything.  Definitely wait until you've got everything unpacked to file the full claim.  They should have given you an inventory sheet with sticker numbers and item/box descriptions that they should have had you tick things off of as they were unpacked.  If your missing items are not listed on that inventory sheet you may be SOL.  I had three items turn up missing completely that should have been boxed, but since I wouldn't have a clue what box they should have been in, the company told me they didn't have to reimburse me but they would out of a gesture of good faith.  Several of our bookshelves had been damaged in storage and someone had attempted to repair them but no one mentioned the damage at delivery, luckily my husband has eagle eyes and we were able to note it on the delivery person's paperwork. They didn't ask me for receipts for damaged items, but they did ask for replacement costs for each item and  they went through and compared the prices I gave them to prices they found online.  It was a long, drawn out process but in the end they cut us a check for all but $75 of what I asked for (they found one item cheaper than I originally paid).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Great! Thanks for the info! So they paid you the replacement cost? I'm just not sure what to expect on the items that were still usable but def not in the shape they were before we moved. We don't have anything of real high value so it's not really a matter of being able to have them fixed.

It's nice to hear of someone having luck with it. We also noted the major damages on the initial paperwork prior to them leaving so hopefully that will play in our favor too. 

Thanks again!

imageimageimage

• Options
    Thanks!!!!!

imageimageimage

• Options
    A Sgt. I worked with said that he filed a claim and was paid the price to replace everything that was damaged. I will make sure to file a claim this time around. Last time I didn't even bother because I thought it would take forever but I guess its worth it.
  • Options
    Thanks again!!!!

imageimageimage

• Options
    Getting compensation from movers can be really tough task. I have seen my sister fight for that, and she had to fight hard to get what she deserved. Have a look at this article, it will help you in avoiding these kind of situations in future. https://www.jiffystorage.com/blog/top-storage-tips/how-to-avoid-being-scammed-by-movers/
  • Options
    If you have talked with the long distance movers before the move about the compensation then its fine otherwise no mover after signing contract will compensate at all.