Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

How do you discipline 2 1/2 yr old???

My dd is starting to call MH and I stupid and hitting us. I have no clue where this is coming from but its driving me nuts!! I don't know how to discipline her at all. Advice? What do you do?

Re: How do you discipline 2 1/2 yr old???

• Options

Does she go to daycare?  She is obviously hearing the stupid somewhere.

Do you do time outs?  That would be an easy start.

I really love the book Parenting with Love and Logic.  There is an early childhood book.  Not everything applies to a 2.5 year old but we use some of it with our dd who is also 2.5.

We don't lecture or get mad.  We she does something, we say "uh oh, looks like some bedroom time"  We take her to the bedroom and make her stay for 2 min.  I stay outside the room.  We also do this with tantrums.  But I tell her she can come out when she is happy.  We she comes out, I don't lecture, we just move on with our day. 

There are other great things in the book too.  I love that I don't have to yell at her.  She knows that she did something wrong since I say "uh oh" right away and follow thru.   You can use any phrase like "uh oh" or "that is so sad"

It probably won't change overnight but be consistent and hopefully it will stop.

• Options
    It's very difficult to "discipline" at this age!  We've chosen to spare the rod. We use "serious" tones of voice and "no's" in conjuction with time-outs. I try to give a short explanation as to why he's "in trouble".  ("You're taking a time out because hitting is not allowed.") He's catching on to the action of consequence itself, and will try to "hug and kiss"  or "run" his way out of it... The most effective thing/change we've seen thus far is when we take something away because of misbehavior...and give it back when he's good. For example, he throws his cup, we'll take it away...he realizes he now has no juice....he settles down, asks for it back and when we return it, he sets it down nicely and doesn't throw it again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

beat her!   (j/k)

this is a tough age!  For dd it got worse between 2 1/2 and (almost) 3... we had a big move which caused some behavioral issues... but too, the whining ... oh God the whining!  We do time out, we do discipline that fits the crime... any hitting or biting (which they are not biters), immediate time out.  otherwise, I take away the cup if she throws it, or the toy if they are fighting over it.  I sometimes do the 1, 2, 3 thing... although, over the holidays I have been giving less tries and more immediate results b/c she was mocking me.... I'd say you do not do whatever, "that's one" and she's say "two" and laugh... you wanna play that way, forgetaboutit!  

My advice. Pray!  Find some support (in person support) to help you not kill the little bugger. (that was meant to cause a laugh/chuckle)

• Options

I disagree about discipline being difficult at this age.

I personally think it's imperative at this age.

Another vote for Parenting with Love and Logic - the preschool edition.

Teaching that bad actions have consequences is an important lesson.

We do "Uh oh!" and bedroom time (time out) like Gretta and Tess.  We've been doing it since before he was 2.

It works well for us. 

The key is that the parent doesn't get mad or visibly upset or frustrated (that's the HARD part).  Keep the kid's problems as their problems.  Don't let them see you sweat.

We also use some 1-2-3 Magic - another good book to check into.  But I prefer the Love and Logic stuff.  It just works better for Dylan.

GL!

And remember - you're not  alone.....

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"