January 2015 Moms

Down comforters (NBR)

I'm in the hunt for a new alternative down comforter and am wondering if anyone has one that is super fluffy (like luxury hotel fluffy) that they can recommend? I keep reading reviews for some and they are mixed so I'm apprehensive. Thanks in advance!
Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012

Re: Down comforters (NBR)

• I'll check it out. Thanks!
  • mom2casemom2case member
    edited June 2014
    I got a cheapy one on Amazon and it's great! I think it's down alternative though. I got sick of all the feathers poking through. That just happens with down. This is the one I got. https://www.amazon.com/Hotels-Thread-Alternative-Comforter-Egyptian/dp/B002S4SW6K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1404048363&sr=8-4&keywords=Down+comforter
    imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• Loading the player...
  • I am looking for down alternative @mom2case. The one you bought is nice and fluffy?
  • mom2casemom2case member
    edited June 2014
    @YaMrWhite It's awesome!  We had a down comforter for 9 years (expensive brand) and just got this one 2 months ago.  It's very silky, fluffy, and warm.  We have a queen size bed but like the oversized bedding so we got the king comforter.  I think the queen comforter is only $40.
    imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• I'm looking for one too! The crossstiching on my current one is coming out so all the stuffing ends up in one spot. :( No bueno.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Try Bed Bath and Beyond. We got our real down comforter there, and it was so soft and comfy. We had to quit using it though because DH and I are both hot sleepers, and we ended up tossing it off ourselves every night, even in the dead of winter. 

• I have no problem sleeping over the covers if it gets too hot. I just want that uber soft, cushy "I don't ever want to leave this bed" feeling :)
  • We have an awesome one made of silk worm cocoons that we got in China, but I'm sure you could get online, the nice part is that it does not have poky feathers and I'm not allergic to it since the cocoons have no dander. Basically when they make silk if two worms are too close together their thread gets tangled. So they take thousands of processed cocoons and make a comforter. Its very nice to cuddle under
  • we have a medium weight down alternative company store comforter and it's super thick and very warm.  it was actually a freebie...SO's mom used to work for the company store and she won it at some employee event.  we can only use it in winter because it's so warm, lol.  the company store is spendier but in general the quality is great.

i do want to say that while it's very thick and plush-feeling, the down alternative really feels nothing at all like down (stiffer and heavier), so if you want the lighter-weight fluffiness factor and allergies aren't an issue, go for real down.  and if you get a company store down comforter, DO NOT buy the kind with the square quilting sewn on an angle (so they're diamond-oriented, instead of square).  they're not actually sewn through the edges, and all the down on the edges will eventually shift to the bottom of the damn thing.  SO has a lightweight down comforter that i've been trying to fix for the past 3 years and it's such a pain in the ass.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"