High-Risk Pregnancy

Steroid injection side effects

Anyone have experience with betamethasone? Specifically, I have questions about lessened fetal activity and an increase in blood sugar. Do either of those sound familiar. I planned on asking my Dr at my appt today but today was her day off. Btw, I'm 33 weeks.

Me:35 DH:37
Married 09/2013

*TW* TTC #2 since June 2016 *END TW*

Endometriosis

March 2017- IUI#1- Clomid - BFN
April 2017 - IUI #2 - Clomid, Ovidrel - BFN
May 2017 - IUI #3 - Clomid- cancelled cycle

July 2017- IVF #1-Microdose Lupron protocol, Gonal-F, Menopur, HCG trigger- 12 mature eggs, 9 fertilized, 4 frozen- 2 PGS normal!!

August 2017- FET #1

Re: Steroid injection side effects

• They told me those were common side effects, I did not notice either when I had my shots at 24 weeks.
  • Thanks @Ylvelill‌ for replying. I wasn't offered any info about them but I also didn't ask either.

Married 09/2013

Endometriosis

July 2017- IVF #1-Microdose Lupron protocol, Gonal-F, Menopur, HCG trigger- 12 mature eggs, 9 fertilized, 4 frozen- 2 PGS normal!!

August 2017- FET #1

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't notice decreased fetal activity but I did have higher blood sugar readings for a day or two after getting my shots.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KTZ17KTZ17 member
    edited June 2014
    Yes, I was told my blood sugars could be high after the steroid shots. Fetal movement didn't decrease, though. Edited for typo

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Well, I'll guess I'll have to see how the NST turns out tomorrow. I had an extremely active baby before I started the injections on Mon. The kick counts after something sugary are still 10 within 5 mins so I'm really not too worried. Just thought it to be odd.

Married 09/2013

Endometriosis

August 2017- FET #1

• Wally3Wally3 member
    I don't remember any side effects.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm a dirty lurker.
    :-h

I was not considered high risk before (I have hashimoto's thyroiditis) and have only yesterday been admitted for contrax (non-dilating) and a positive FFN with no infection detected. Doc says he needs to monitor me more closely now but not quite sure if that deems me "high risk."

anyways. I had my first betamethasone shot last night. Getting another in a few hours. I noticed baby was crazy active shortly after receiving the injection then quieted down alot, but still active. There were no comments made about my sugar levels despite having labs drawn 12hrs after 1st shot. Not sure if the insomnia I had after was related to that or just the anxiety of the situation in general.
  • @poptart109‌ At the appt the following day, my doc confirmed that my blood sugars would rise and then fall back to normal within 24 to 48 hours after receiving the last injection. Which they did.

Also, the nurse and a girl from my BMB had the injections around the same time I did and they both experienced trouble sleeping. I did not though.

As for decreased movement, maybe that was a coincidence. My LO has definitely gone back to being extremely active.

Married 09/2013

Endometriosis

August 2017- FET #1

• I had one last night and go back for another tonight. I have experienced the trouble sleeping. I got maybe four hours total last night. I finally got out of bed at 4 am because it just hasn't happening. Fetal movement has been fine though. I didn't ask too many questions though. I knew The risks are much higher if I didn't get the shots.
  • Thank you for posting these! I'm 28 weeks and had my second shot yesterday, and she was much less active yesterday and today. I wasn't told of side effects, and I still feel her now and then, but not nearly as much as usual. So glad to see these posts and hopefully she'll be back to normal in the next day or two! <3