Potty Training

My kid is going to high school without being potty trained.

A little dramatic, but that's how it feels to me.  I am convinced this kid will never get trained. We had some luck over last few months. He is 3 1/2 and has pretty much stopped going potty most of the time at home.  He will just say no potty, I take him in and he will either stand there playing with himself or say " it no work" or pitch a helacious fit. So Ok I took a step back for a week or so and he pretty much went on potty maybe once a day, I thought maybe he needed to not be pressured. He has never pooped on potty, which I know people say is kinda normal. He will say mama sit down and then he goes behind the kitchen island and poops.  I know he is doing it, but when I try to go get him to potty, he will stop pooping and so it's a no go. Ugg.  This potty training thing I am convinced he is going to high school in pull ups. Haha. Any suggestions?

Re: My kid is going to high school without being potty trained.

• Did you just start potty training, or has he regressed?
  • Does he have other medical or developmental issues?  If not I wouldn't be nice, patient, or understanding.  DD is also 3 1/2 and when she had just potty trained, around 2, she pooped her pants.  I made her take the underwear and turn it into the toilet.  She was completely discusted and horrified, I made sure she didn't touch it, but after that she never pooped her pants again.  Other times she has had accidents she has to stop what she's doing and take a bath, which at the time she hated.  I've also had her clean up the floor when she's had an accident.  It may seem mean, but it's worked pretty well.
  • Loading the player...
  • What is so shocking about making a 2 year old take responsibility for their actions?  As I said, it's not like I made her touch her poop or anything.  I supervised and helped through everything, and our potty training process was pretty quick and painless.  I actually got these ideas from the Bump and they've worked great. 
  • No he hasn't regressed or anything he just doesn't seem to progress much.  He has a speech delay is his only delay. I also go in when he poops in his pull up and we put it in potty together and say this is where we poop, but at this point I would be happy if he would consistently pee in the potty.I also see nothing wrong with making children take a little responsibilty for their actions. It helps them understand actions and their consequences. I am so frustrated at this point. I had taken some time off of trying and yet nothing seems to help. We had a weekend of him being dry all but twice and I rewarded him, but he never tells me he needs to go and always says no when I ask, but I just take him anyway and say we can't do this until we potty. Ugg, this stuff is hard. I am using sticker charts, which he likes, but apparently not enough to get him to go consistently on the potty. Sorry for the vent ladies, but I don't know what else to try at this point.

• I completely understand what you are going through!! My 3 year old is refusing to go in the potty. We are expecting twins in March and I need her out of diapers! But she has no ambition to potty train. She throws horrible fits and would rather pee in her pants than go on the toilet. I too am at a loss. I've tried everything from rewards to potty parties and nothing gets her motivated!! Everyone tells me patience she will get potty trained but I am not so sure at times.
  • I also feel your pain. My daughter is also speech delayed and is 3 years old. She never tells us when she has to go so we take her to go pee every 45 minutes to an hour and she goes then because she loves the praise she gets for going. We make a huge deal out of it. When she poops she just started pointing to her belly and leading us that way but up until this point she would run to her corner and we would intercept her and take her to the toilet. Another interesting thing about pooping, I have to be in the bathroom with her but cannot look at her and for about 3 months I had to cover my head with a towel. Awesome times. Well, no real advice I guess just wanted you to know your not alone. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do the same thing mommymegan if our 2 year old poos where he shouldn't he's got gloves and a bag and he cleans it up. It doesn't hurt them at all.
    I don't have any great advice its a frustrating time for us too :/ im definitely following this for some help myself
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"