May 2014 Moms
Options

Arms and legs

Do your LOs know they have arms and legs yet? I ask because we swaddle DD but lately she has been flailing so much that she escapes the swaddle, but yet she can't seem to sleep without it because she'll flail her arms and wake herself up. Wondering when she should stop flailing so much, she's almost 8wks.

When did you stop swaddling?

Re: Arms and legs

• Options
    My DD is 10 weeks she still gets swaddled n a swaddle me swaddle thing but we leave her arms out it's part of her bedtime routine. She still flails about and wakes herself up but will go back ro sleep on her own without crying.
  • Options
    DD is 6 weeks. We swaddle her very loosely during the day and she always ends up with her arms up. At night we use the hayo sleep sack. We have the summer ones but they must be too tight or uncomfortable for her bc she squirms and fights to break free. For some reason she doesn't do this with the haylo one. So I guess arms out during day, swaddle at night. She gave us 2 4 hr stretches last night'
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The flailing herself awake is the startle reflex. It gradually fades, especially after a few months. I still swaddle dd at 9 weeks. DS I stopped at 6w bc he would escape it and slept ok without it. Dd sleeps so soundly with it. I believe the swaddle is supposed to be ditched when they can roll over.

Knowing they have arms and legs is kind of something different. They gradually figure out how to control those blasted things, lol dd can reliably get her hand to her mouth. Grabbing at things will come with time. It is freaking adorable when they find their feet and eat them :)

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    I never swaddled with D'S. He's now 7 weeks. It's mostly during the day now when he's moving or a noise or sudden movement happens. It hasn't woken him up in weeks.
  • Options
    I've noticed DD who is 7 weeks today start to see her hand when she's moving it In front of her face. It's so cute when she brings it in closer and goes cross eyed staring at this weird thing.
  • Options
    lrmrtnlrmrtn member
    edited June 2014
    letal316 said:

Do your LOs know they have arms and legs yet? I ask because we swaddle DD but lately she has been flailing so much that she escapes the swaddle, but yet she can't seem to sleep without it because she'll flail her arms and wake herself up. Wondering when she should stop flailing so much, she's almost 8wks.

When did you stop swaddling?

This is DS exactly. He is 6 1/2 weeks. We use the swaddle me sacks and if they're not tight enough, he escapes and then wakes himself up. We call it attack of the hands lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. DD used to be a great sleeper (giving us a 7 to 8 hr stretch at night) and now that she's able to get out of the swaddle it's more like 4 to 6. Hopefully she'll get used to her little arms soon and stay peacefully asleep.
  • Options
    Krisd6Krisd6 member
    Our little one is 4 weeks old. He is definitely flailing his arms and legs around. Especially when he is tired and agitated. We swaddled him at night but leave his arms free- he seems to love it and when he wakes up is still swaddled!
  • Options
    britabbritab member
    Ours is 4 weeks and needs to be swaddled. Her hands hit her and tease her. She thinks they should be feeding her. We have to do a pretty tight swaddle and sometimes one still escapes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I swaddle until they start rolling. For DD1 that was 4 months. DD2 is still swaddled. It's kind of their nature to fight it from what I've experienced but she sleeps a million times better swaddled. She was getting out of the halo swaddles so I switched the the miracle blanket and so far so good.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    We joke around that Summer's body betrays her. She has no idea that her hands knock her pacifier out of her mouth, or get in the way of the bottle she wants so badly.

I swaddle her at night. She sleeps so much better. I tested this theory just last night (6weeks) and she still "needs" it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DS hates being swaddled. So I stopped and he's been sleeping so much better. He's 6 wks today, but this last week started grabbing my hair, necklace and holds the same spot on my shirt when he nurses. He does reach for things and will grab if he can, but doesn't know how to let go if he gets it. His other big thing is looking like he's boxing. Arms constantly moving with his hands in fists. It's pretty funny.
  • Options
    We swaddle periodically but it doesn't really make a difference in sleep for Colin. He is a super squirmy baby but it doesn't really wake him up. Sometimes if he's in a squirmy mood it's hard to get him asleep but it never seems to wait him. If he's dead asleep and something (a sound or bump when in the car seat) he will throw his hands in the air, but he is still dead asleep. It's freaking adorable.
    I think he is still to early to know about his own hands and feet, but he does grab at the bottle when feeding and grabs at my shirt when I'm carrying him or he is hungry. (Soon enough he'll probably be able to unlatch my nursing tanks ...)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"