October 2013 Moms

I think this is my first baby related post - What do you know about baby bike attachments?

WeljadraakWeljadraak member
edited June 2014 in October 2013 Moms
I'm looking into getting a bike but I also need something for CJ.  Does anybody have an input on the infant seat vs the trailer?  I've never actually seen the inside of the trailer so it might not even be appropriate for safety reasons.   Anyway, I wondering which is better in terms of easier to maneuver, safety, different terrain and stuff like that.   Some PIPs:

Cool, they have front and back infant seats. Never knew that!

TIA!

Re: I think this is my first baby related post - What do you know about baby bike attachments?

• I don't have personal experience but I work near a bike path and see a lot more trailers than baby seats on bikes.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm just wondering about the maneuverability of the trailer.  I'm sure it's fine since they get used a lot.  Probably going to the store in a few to see the options.  

• I'm pretty sure baby has to be 1 to use either option. That's what I've heard at least.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• I have a trailer and the age on it is 9 months. There are shoulder straps in it. Not a 5pt harness really, but it keeps them more or less upright.

It maneuvers pretty well, it just adds some drag. Especially if the wind is blowing or a tire is flat (always check the tires, haha). I used mine with dd1 until she was, I think, 5. She would just color in the back while I got some exercise. It also has a handle that can be attached to use it as a jogger.

I would feel too nervous with the bike mounted seat, as well. I can totally see myself falling over. And the weight of baby would take the center of gravity off.
  • @Jenball717‌ some of the reviews say the trailer, being behind the tire, will get dirt kicked up at it from the back wheel. Did you experience this?

• @Jenball717‌ some of the reviews say the trailer, being behind the tire, will get dirt kicked up at it from the back wheel. Did you experience this?

Only if it was rainy or I went though mud but there is a plastic cover that velcros over the front so babe can still see out but can't get wet or dirty.

Oh, and helmets are always worn. There are really cute baby bike helmets out there.
  • #needtoseethehelmet #yourcutesIneedthem
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • LC122LC122 member
    edited June 2014
    People also recommend putting a flag on the trailers so that cars can see them coming.
    I don't know who drives such that they would be all up on a biker and not see or give time/space for the trailer to safely pass, but it's something people talk about.

Our neighbors had the seat on the bike and their kid loved it - better view, closer to parent. They never complained about it being too heavy or anything but I'm sure it depends on how comfortable/confident you feel with your bike.
  • acethebaseacethebase member
    edited June 2014
    The age limit for my trailer says 12 MONTHS! :-w I tested it out anyways and it was terrible! He looked like he was just hanging right out if it. My mother in law suggested putting the car seat in there [-X def not doing that. So I baby wear.... Can't even feel his weight. I just make sure to go for a walk early in the morning or later at night when it's cooler. If your leaning towards a trailer though double check the age because mine says a year.
  • The age limit for my trailer says 12 MONTHS! :-w I tested it out anyways and it was terrible! He looked like he was just hanging right out if it. My mother in law suggested putting the car seat in there [-X def not doing that. So I baby wear.... Can't even feel his weight. I just make sure to go for a walk early in the morning or later at night when it's cooler. If your leaning towards a trailer though double check the age because mine says a year.

We got one because the seat made us nervous. They only had 1 at the store and I already told FI if it's weird we are returning it. It looks to have a 5 point harness. I saw one online that looked really good. A little pricier but we'll see. We will be testing it when we get home in a few mins.

• My trailer's age limit says 6 months! We love it. It seats 2 kids and has 5 point harnesses. Kenzie loves the trailer but hates her helmet, but tough, she has to wear it.

The seat on the back of the bike just didn't seem safe to me. The trailer has extra protection having layers over her. We usually keep the plastic covers on, and open up an air vent or two.

We bought ours for $80 I think. My husband keeps it on his bike (really easy to put on and take off btw)

This is what we have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002QAVQ14/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1404068067&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40

We actually just got an InStep! It looks just like that one but ours does say 12 months on it. We paid the same amount. This gives me hope.

• LC122 said:

People also recommend putting a flag on the trailers so that cars can see them coming.
    I don't know who drives such that they would be all up on a biker and not see or give time/space for the trailer to safely pass, but it's something people talk about.

Our neighbors had the seat on the bike and their kid loved it - better view, closer to parent. They never complained about it being too heavy or anything but I'm sure it depends on how comfortable/confident you feel with your bike.

Yeah I want to get a flag lol. For real. I want to be as visible as I can be!

• We have a Chariot trailer. LO loves it but hates her helmet. We have been going for a lot of family rides lately and I am happy with its performance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @acethebase‌
    When you say you baby wear. Do you mean on the bike? I'm pretty sure that is not legal.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Arya207 said:

We have a Chariot trailer. LO loves it but hates her helmet. We have been going for a lot of family rides lately and I am happy with its performance.

CJ didn't like it all because it pushed his head forward. Once I changed the strap situation he was totally fine.

• Friend who is an ER doc tells all of his friends to use trailers. He has seen horrible accidents with the bike seat, especially front bike seats.
  • My mother used to use the rear bike seat ones with us.  Apparently she had one of us in it and crashed while 9 months pregnant.  She said everyone was fine but she had the baby the next day.  I think I'll use the trailer-style when we get back to the US (no biking here--too dangerous!)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • tencheer said:

Friend who is an ER doc tells all of his friends to use trailers. He has seen horrible accidents with the bike seat, especially front bike seats.

Ah then it was a good choice!

• WeljadraakWeljadraak member
    edited June 2014
    Aw thanks @Lia1303‌

• he looks adorable in his helmet. so fun!
  • carawasa said:

he looks adorable in his helmet. so fun!

It really was!

• More AW ::cheese:: imageimageimage
    sasldkfsdlijfsdlkfjdsjfadlkjfljd TEH CUTES ::dies::
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • The age limit for my trailer says 12 MONTHS! :-w I tested it out anyways and it was terrible! He looked like he was just hanging right out if it. My mother in law suggested putting the car seat in there [-X def not doing that. So I baby wear.... Can't even feel his weight. I just make sure to go for a walk early in the morning or later at night when it's cooler. If your leaning towards a trailer though double check the age because mine says a year.

Wait, you baby wear on your bike?????
    Lol... No! I just wear the baby and go for a walk =))
  • Awww shucks ::blushes:: @sleepy33‌‌

• This makes me want to go buy a bike and a baby trailer right meow!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I have a burley. We haven't used it with this LO yet, but my big girls love it.

The benefit for us was safety. You get hit or fall and the kids are separate. A flag is a must and the guy at our bike store even uses battery powered light to make it more visible.

I think a 12 month minimum for age is just wise. But we have a little LO and the straps are just wonky on her still.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • RedZeeRedZee member
    When we were researching this we found a few articles saying the apa recommends waiting until a Child is over 1 before using either. We also found pros and cons to both in terms of safety. Ultimately, we decided to listen to the apa.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"