Cloth Diapering
Options

Camping and hand washing diapers.

edited June 2014 in Cloth Diapering
We would be gone two nights and three days at a lake campground. Depending where we go, it would be lake water or cold well water.

I have a 5 gallon bucket and a regular plunger. I don't want to purchase anything or alter what I have. Will that work without cutting holes in my plunger and getting a lid for my bucket?

Will washing in cold be a problem? I use tide. What about lake water? (I would dump the yucky water in the outhouse. Not the lake. ;) )

Is it going to be difficult to clean bamboo inserts? I could go buy FST from Walmart, but I don't have much time to test them out before we go Tuesday. How does their absorbency compare to a bamboo insert? I will be pad folding them in covers.

ETA stupid glitchy mobile bump!
Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

Re: Camping and hand washing diapers.

• Options
    I bought 15 of them. I'm assuming I'll need two per diaper? They are in the wash. I'm going to try them out after they are done. Can I just wash and dry them once before using?
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    TJ1979TJ1979 member
    FSTs? I just bought some too! I just washed them once but haven't used them yet. I think my tie dyed flats are FSTs. I only use 1, but I am using them on my NB.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmmm. I guess I should buy a lid and a cheap plunger. I would hate to have issues getting them clean while an hour away from home.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    I washed them and put too much tide in, so they got rinsed three times. I'm going to dry them and call it good. I'm going to test them out tomorrow and see how it goes.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    I never bothered with putting holes in my plunger and it worked fine....and if you're washing them outside, are you really going to be worried about splashing? Just wear a swimsuit or clothes you don't mind getting wet and sunglasses and have fun.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    But it's pee and poo water... Haha
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    Robi1Robi1 member
    If you're only gone three days, can't you just do laundry when you get back? That's what I've done for weekend trips, camping and otherwise. Especially if you just use inserts/flats and covers - you can wipe/wash the covers if they get dirty and just bring enough FSTs or inserts for three days and wash when you get home. We've done this multiple times (except we use pockets) with about 25 changes, no problem. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Options
    I find it's way easier to control splashing with a washboard rather than a plunger.

I don't have experience with washing in cold water only, but I seem to remember there are a few people who manage to do it regularly. If it were me, though, I would probably boil some water and then mix it with some cold, just so that I could get some good detergent activation.
  • Options
    I don't want dirty diapers sitting that long in the heat, inside the cab of our truck.

Would they attract bears??

I was thinking about heating water. That's probably what I will do if we have a fire going then. :)
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    Robi1Robi1 member
    doeie04 said:
    I don't want dirty diapers sitting that long in the heat, inside the cab of our truck. Would they attract bears?? I was thinking about heating water. That's probably what I will do if we have a fire going then. :)
    We went camping in the Shenandoah valley where there are bears (we even saw some) and the diapers did not attract them. We put them in the bear box, or in the car. I didn't find they smelled bad. We dumped the poop in the bathroom/outhouses. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Options
    I wasn't sure if it was an issue with bears. We would put it in the truck like we do our food, anyway.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"