Trying to Get Pregnant

Just so I don't look like an idiot newb: what is/isn't acceptable to talk about here?

IrisPetalsIrisPetals member
edited June 2014 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Any amount of TMI?  I have no filter sometimes when it comes to TMI subjects & I often ramble on, so I'm likely to go into more detail than some appreciate.  I'm not likely to post TMI pictures unless absolutely necessary to the conversation.

What terms are not ok to use?  I learned yesterday baby dust is offensive, had no idea b/c it's a widely used term on another website forum.

Do you ladies talk about every time you O?  I'm used to doing a little report like, "I just got +opk such & such day, wish me luck, the bd is on!" type of stuff.

I've seen non-TTC subjects too, but I'm not a daily blogger type of person.  A few non-TTC topics here or there.

I can often be too blunt & love sarcasm, but being a newb I dont want people to feel I'm being an ass right off the bat.

Just wanting to get a feel for how you ladies interact here

Re: Just so I don't look like an idiot newb: what is/isn't acceptable to talk about here?

• Loading the player...
  • IrisPetalsIrisPetals member
    edited June 2014
    Ok, so if I do have any TMI I'll just save it for the 2ww or waiting to O threads.  I did read the newbie blog, but didn't see anything about what is ok to post here, so that's why I asked.  I'm not hugely into gifs anyway :)  And I'm good with the term sex too
  • IrisPetalsIrisPetals member
    edited June 2014
    I'll say that we don't want photos of your CM, or if you pee in a cup of bleach, or, really, anything else. A positive pee stick is fine if you've been here long enough for us to know you, and we occasionally get the "is this OPK positive" picture. 

And, as the PP said, the rainbow & glitter terms don't go over well....absolutely no baby dust, baby dancing, bbs, etc. It's good luck, sex, and boobs :)

If you're fluent in sarcasm and can take some flack, you're good :)
    Gotcha.  Sorry, the rainbow & glitter terms are from a more *sensitive* forum.  I'd prefer the more adult words myself.  I've seen plenty of CM pictures so I just compare to mine, I've had +opks already, so I definitely know what it looks like.  I actually flamed someone on the other forum for the pee + bleach test.  Only on cd9, so not likely to have a +hpt soon enough to feel like a *rub in the face* 
  • Sarcasm is good. Most of us are fluent. Most of the TTC-related TMI takes place in the W2O and 2WW threads. Those pop up every day. Join in whenever you like. We don't really use the term BD, because we're all adults and we can say sex. Mostly, just don't be a jackass. Don't post a positive pee stick if you've only been here for a hot minute, try to search old threads for an answer before starting a new one, and don't post too many gifs... that's my thing and I'll cut you.
    As a somewhat newbie myself- is there a magic number or certain amount of time as to when a newbie is sharing good news with others as opposed to a throwing out a drive-by BFP? 
    I don't think there's a magic number, but I would say it would go by the amount you participated. I was here for only 2 cycles when I got my BFP, but I participated a lot, so people knew who I was. I participated every day in the Waiting to O and the Two Week WAit threads, and other things like that.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10 (born August 2004)
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2
    BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
    BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

• Sarcasm is good. Most of us are fluent. Most of the TTC-related TMI takes place in the W2O and 2WW threads. Those pop up every day. Join in whenever you like. We don't really use the term BD, because we're all adults and we can say sex.

Mostly, just don't be a jackass. Don't post a positive pee stick if you've only been here for a hot minute, try to search old threads for an answer before starting a new one, and don't post too many gifs... that's my thing and I'll cut you.

As a somewhat newbie myself- is there a magic number or certain amount of time as to when a newbie is sharing good news with others as opposed to a throwing out a drive-by BFP? 

I think it's less about the number of posts or the number of days and more about whether you feel other posters would truly wonder what happened to you if you just stopped posting. That is rather subjective so if you're not sure I'd advise against posting a pregnancy announcement.
  • Like others have said, as you lurk and pay attention to other threads you'll see what is and is not okay.  It takes getting used to!  Just don't be *that* poster that asks a question about something when there is an active thread discussing the exact same thing that is still on the first page.

This group ebbs and flows- everyone makes mistakes at some point, but if you get called out then handle yourself graciously and don't just GBCB (Goodbye Cruel Bump-- when someone says they are quitting TTGP forever).  Getting butthurt is bad (in these cases).  Being a cool person and learning something is good.

Married 9-1-12 (On Depo until 4-12)        Me- 33, DH- 36
    NTNP starting 9-12, Actively TTC since 9-13
    My DX- Hypothyroidism.  Prescribed Synthroid
    DH's DX- Severe MFI- first SA results: 1.3 mill (1.2 mill motile), 21.6% motility, 2% morphology
    Blood test revealed low testosterone so DH was prescribed Clomid.  Repeat blood test and SA in November.

• Like others have said, as you lurk and pay attention to other threads you'll see what is and is not okay.  It takes getting used to!  Just don't be *that* poster that asks a question about something when there is an active thread discussing the exact same thing that is still on the first page.

This group ebbs and flows- everyone makes mistakes at some point, but if you get called out then handle yourself graciously and don't just GBCB (Goodbye Cruel Bump-- when someone says they are quitting TTGP forever).  Getting butthurt is bad (in these cases).  Being a cool person and learning something is good.
    I've already seen that happen here - the "you guys are meanies, I'm out of here" stuff, and honestly it's kind of ridiculous.  Nah no butthurt here :D
  • BBnut said:
    You will be flamed by WhoCanItbeNow at some point.  If you haven't, your bfp post is likely a driveby.
    Thanks for the heads up lol
  • BBnut said:

You will be flamed by WhoCanItbeNow at some point.  If you haven't, your bfp post is likely a driveby.

Well. Now I'm not sure if I want to be flamed or not...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"