TTC After a Loss

Charting after a D&C- temp & OPKs

I have always been pretty good at charting normal cycles, but I just had a D&C yesterday and am trying to figure out if I can chart the first cycle (just to get an idea when the hcg clears, when I ovulate, when to expect AF). Should I just start temping now? I know my OPKs may be + right now if enough HCG is lingering. Should I maybe get some cheapie HPTs and once I get negatives, start charting? Sorry for the 100 questions- just wondering if anyone else has charted this soon after MC/D&C. If there's any resource you recommend for charting in this scenario, let me know. I use FF. Thanks!
DS1 born 4/17/11
DS2 born 2/22/13
MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
RAINBOW

imageimage

Re: Charting after a D&C- temp & OPKs

• It's really personal preference.  I charted because it made me feel like I was a little more in control, some people choose not to because they don't want to think about it while they're TTA.  Charting won't really tell you when your hCG is at zero, and you may or may not O before AF comes.  You're right about the OPKs, I wouldn't bother with them for now.  If you do chart, just be aware that your temps may be all over the place for a bit.  (((HUGS)))

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #1 1/29/13, EDD 10/9/13 
    MMC discovered at 10 weeks (baby measured 9 weeks) D&C on 3/16/13 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
    BFP #3  8/11/14  EDD 4/22/14
  • So sorry for your loss. Take it easy on yourself. You need time to heal mentally and physically. Keep in mind any wait time your doctor has advised. I myself wouldn't waste OPKs. If you need something to keep you busy, then just chart. Plan for it to be a bit wonky many weeks until your body regroups.
    Take care ((hugs))
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you @LaRomana09 & @Tablefor5 - I will start temping tomorrow I guess and just plug the #'s into FF and see what comes up. And I agree about feeling a little bit more "in control". I know in all reality I have zero control over what my cycles decide to do, but the temp thing is simple enough and a good start. Thanks again!
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • @greeneyes842 My OB didn't mention blood work for checking betas, but I have a follow up in a couple weeks so maybe I will ask then. I think she said roughly 2 weeks after D&C she would expect HCG to be gone and my cycles to start up, so if had a 28 day cycle, expect AF in 6 weeks (2 weeks for hcg to clear and 4 weeks for my cycle). I'm not expecting it to be that "textbook" but we'll see.
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • Yeah I thought 2 weeks seemed quick...we shall see. Thanks for the input :)
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • @mpiemont yesterday was 2 weeks out from my D&C for me and I got my first negative test because I am a control freak and wanted to know my HCG was going down, I have been testing once a week. I will have labs drawn at 4 weeks to check my HCG levels and some clotting stuff they want to check. That being said, I started temping last week because again, I am a control freak, and I have noticed my temps are finally back to normal (I am pretty textbook when it comes to temp I hang out at 97.33 until my shift) I feel relieved, so even though I know it means very little, it gives me some sense that my body is healing and that emotionally has made me feel HUGELY better. So I say do what you want, I think temping has helped me with my grieving process. 

BFP #1-- 8-25-12, DD Born 5-1-13 
    BFP #2-- 5-6-14, MMC 6-13-14, D&C 6-13-14
    BFP #3 -- 8-26-14, EDD 5-10-15 

• I'm pretty sure I welcomed you in your intro but if I didn't I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you are here.

I just wanted to let you know how important I feel it is to start charting right away after a D&C. After my first one, I didn't chart. At the time, I didn't even know what charting was and I trusted that my body would go back to normal quickly. Clearly, this is my experience and my experience only but I waited nearly 60 days to start temping which I totally regret now. I had just joined this community and after many many anxious days worrying about why my period hadn't returned the amazing ladies here suggested I temp to keep an eye on my cycle.

I started temping at CD60 and within about 2 weeks I realized that I had in fact ovulated. What came next was pretty worrisome and I'm crossing my fingers you'll never be in my situation but in my opinion it's so important to know what's going on so that IF (big if here, the majority of the ladies don't have an issue) there is a problem you can know about it quickly and seek treatment.

Clearly, this is my experience which ultimately is very rare. But, to avoid any anxiety and worry that comes from waiting any longer than the "norm" temping is the only way to keep an eye on your cycle. In my time here, I've noticed that although some doctors say that the average is 4-6 weeks it can take much longer than that which can be totally normal. If you temp along the way it'll keep you sane and not lead your thoughts to some very very scary places.

FX the next couple of week are kind to you and you get your AF in a timely manner.

Best of luck.

• Upon advice from these ladies, like @PinkCamino‌ i started to chart right away. I'll link my chart at the bottom. It hasn't been long since my d&c, 3 weeks tomorrow. My temp is just starting to level out as you will see. My cycles were irregular before, so I have no idea what will happen but I like charting to try to keep track and see how things are coming. I did an hpt Tuesday and this morning and this AM's test is still + but very faint, so that was good to see. My chart... I hope I did this right! https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/500723

It took a month for the HCG to leave my system after my second one. ((hugs))
  • Thank you so much for the continued advice. I forgot to take my temp this morning ( I was up all night with awful dreams anyway, so I'm sure it would have been a wonky temp anyway). I'll start tomorrow- and I guess call that CD1? I've charted a bunch in the past so I'm hoping I can recognize when things are starting to get back to normal.
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • I charted starting the day after my D&C. I didn't bother with OPKs because I was worried about their accuracy and I didn't bother with HPTs to track my HCG. I still saw the shift clearly and pinpointed my ovulation date. It really helped me a lot to know I did ovulate normally even though we were TTA. I'm so sorry for your loss.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• tlc35tlc35 member
    mpiemont said:
    Thank you so much for the continued advice. I forgot to take my temp this morning ( I was up all night with awful dreams anyway, so I'm sure it would have been a wonky temp anyway). I'll start tomorrow- and I guess call that CD1? I've charted a bunch in the past so I'm hoping I can recognize when things are starting to get back to normal.
    My understanding is that the day of the D&C is considered CD 1.  It took me a few days to get back in the habit of temping.
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Me: 37                                               
    DH: 45
    BFP #1 3/19/14  EDD 11/29/14 MMC D&C 4/24/14
    BFP #2  12/4/14 Beta #1 218 at 12dpo Beta #2 1055 at 16dpo
    Saw heartbeat 12/29.  Please be a rainbow.
    imagerainbows

All welcome                                   

• mpiemontmpiemont member
    edited June 2014
    Can someone here help me link my FF chart in my siggy? I have tried 5000 times and it won't work.

Edit- I think I got it. If anyone wants to click "My Chart" and let me know if it works, thanks! :)
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • Thanks, @CFearsy!
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    RAINBOW