Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Toddler poop smells like halitosis?!!

My 23 month old has recently had poops that smell horrible. I don't know how to describe it other than it smells like halitosis or like old people's bowel movements. It is potent and lingers even after we change her no matter how clean we wipe her! Also she has always pooped in large pebbles. They aren't black or hard just large round pieces. She poops every day so I don't think she is constipated and it isn't painful for her when she goes. We haven't changed her diet or anything like that. She eats really healthy and very little processed foods. Drinks only milk and water. Anyone experienced this before? She had some congestion for a week and 1/2 but it is gone now. Going to give her Pediatrician a call but figured it was worth a shot to see if this is normal or I am just paranoid.

Re: Toddler poop smells like halitosis?!!

• Options
    The pebbles to me still say that she needs some fiber.  I get it, my older two have gone through stages of pebbly poop.  For us it's because we seem to be a HIGH protein household.  My older kids (2 and 4) seem to have high protein snacks predominatly.  I find it hard to balance the diet for them as they have free will about what they'll eat.  They either don't eat veggies or throw them :-/  I've not had pebble poop with any of them around 1yr though because the appetite is still so tied to what I put on their plate and they eat SO much at that age still. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    diana.filipidiana.filipi member
    edited June 2014
    Oh!  I see, your kid is 23 months!  Well, pebbles seem to be kinda normal at this age in my household.

I use smoothies to help add fiber and ease the poos.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jenelle101Jenelle101 member
    edited June 2014
    Just because she doesn't poop every day, doesn't mean she's not constipated. We learned this the hard way with our son. He has been constipated since 4 months old (he's 21 months now)! We actually have to give him Mirilax every day. :(  He would poop every day, but have such hard poops, that he would bleed and cry EVERY time. That's how I found out that constipation doesn't just mean they don't poop every day. They can poop every day, even multiple times a day, but if it's hard poop, that means they're constipated. And the horrible smell goes along with constipation. I would make sure she gets a lot of water. It sounds like it might be a temporary thing..

EDIT: Just reread what you said and you said they're pebbles, but not hard?? I bet they're harder than they should be if they're in a round, pebble form. IDK, but I would ask your pediatrician for sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"