May 2014 Moms

Spit up

My LOs spitting up has gotten progressively worse. Didn't spit up at all the first few weeks of life and now is doing it with most feedings. Some times it is worse than others, but at its worst it soaks the front of his shirt. How much is normal? He seems fussy and then spits up and is happy. He is breast fed. We keep him upright after feedings and he sleeps in a RNP. I've noticed he rarely spits up at night. Is he over eating? Could it be reflux? I'm going to call the doc Monday but not sure if this is normal

Re: Spit up

• How old is UR LO? We have developed the same problem. Let us know what UR pedi says. My pedi says some spit up is fine as its essentially the same as burping.
  • He is 6 weeks old. He is overall a very happy baby. Only cries/gets super fussy when he is tired and usually whimpers after spitting up. Thinking that might be because it burns from the stomach acid
  • Loading the player...
  • We get spit up if he has both boobs or if he didn't burp properly.

We paid for it last night and this AM. He was such a sleepy babe all day yesterday he got super gassy at night.

But spit up is a laundry thing as the air bubble is just under some milk. Unless LO is really uncomfortable and in pain it can be something.

At night too, babies tend to not take in as much air when feeding at night so they may not need to burp or its so quiet you might not hear it. Based on my 3 am internet research.

I also try to burp before and after a feeding, sounds redundant but it helps if there happens to be an extra bubble in there to get out. Especially at night when they are lazier.
  • I agree with PPs that it sounds like a gas bubble pushing up milk. Reflux typically involves projectile vomit and/or spit-up so forceful it comes out the nose at least according to my Pedi. We had already been using gas drops and gripe water but she said that is usually the first thing she recommends before giving meds.

The reflux meds stopped the crazy forcefully spit-up and vomit but he still spits up especially when he's gassy. I love gas drops I can't recommend them enough.
  • lrmrtnlrmrtn member
    We worried about this too and pedi said as long as they're not in pain and are gaining weight, it's fine. Just more of an inconvenience for us.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"