December 2012 Moms

first swim lesson - total sucess!

She did great! Not a tear or anything. She'd look at DH in the viewing room from time to time with a look of, "hehe, bet you wish you were in here having this much fun!"

The 1/2 hour session was just the right duration. By the end there were a few shivers when she was out of the water for the practice climbing out/ going back in portion. Also, the teacher gave good tips on how to adjust my hold to make her more comfortable & secure. I am very glad I finally signed her up!

Just had to share becase had been worried about LO and if she'd panic.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: first swim lesson - total sucess!

• Nice!  I love swimming lessons, it's my favorite "extra" thing to do with DD :)  We're moving to the next level in September (parents start to work their way out of the pool as LO is comfortable), and I'm honestly a little sad that we won't be in there with her anymore!
  • jac409jac409 member
    We loved ours too! We aren't doing it now that it is summer and we can use our neighborhood pool. It was definitely helpful for me to know how to work with her better.
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kjsmith9 said:

Nice!  I love swimming lessons, it's my favorite "extra" thing to do with DD :)  We're moving to the next level in September (parents start to work their way out of the pool as LO is comfortable), and I'm honestly a little sad that we won't be in there with her anymore!

the notion of our almost 2 year olds in the water solo (even with being fully supervised) is giviing me a mild sense of panic! Am definitly not ready for that.

I kind of wish we could have the class each day for one week to start (esp with it being my Summer vacation) but am looking forward to this throughout the Summer & into the Fall.

@j3nnyb I think it was watching / being around the other kids along with the big basket of balls that were set lose floating in the water (my kid is obsessed with balls). I think if it had been just me, or there were no floating balls to go after, then a different story would have been posted.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Nice!  I love swimming lessons, it's my favorite "extra" thing to do with DD :)  We're moving to the next level in September (parents start to work their way out of the pool as LO is comfortable), and I'm honestly a little sad that we won't be in there with her anymore!
    the notion of our almost 2 year olds in the water solo (even with being fully supervised) is giviing me a mild sense of panic! Am definitly not ready for that.
    I'm more sad than panicked, but we've been doing this every Saturday since the beginning of January, so I guess I'm just feeling more comfortable at this point.  She does do underwater passes to the teachers during class now, and they hold her and swim around sometimes (to get her used to being in someone else's hands in the water).  We can stay in the next class (the one where we start to get out of the water and hand her over more), until she's 3 years old if it takes that long for her to get comfortable.  She's literally trying to jump out of our hands in the water now though, so I doubt it'll take that long... I'm just glad she likes to swim!  
  • We had ours this morning. It was mostly good. She freaked out when I had to float her on her back, but loved the kicking. She wouldn't close her mouth for the dunking, but she held her breath. She ended up swallowing the water each time she came up. Not inhaling, but a swallow. I think the 30min was too much for her though, she was shivering and complaining about being cold by 20.

It's so great that so many LOs are doing these lessons!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • @minervacullen‌ We had the same issue. After about 20 min she was ready to get out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• jac409jac409 member
    We had ours this morning. It was mostly good. She freaked out when I had to float her on her back, but loved the kicking. She wouldn't close her mouth for the dunking, but she held her breath. She ended up swallowing the water each time she came up. Not inhaling, but a swallow. I think the 30min was too much for her though, she was shivering and complaining about being cold by 20. It's so great that so many LOs are doing these lessons!

To avoid swallowing water or getting it up their nose, our teacher had us sort of swish them through the water from side to side with one ear down in the water, putting their head under for a second in the process. I don't know if I am explaining that very well or not. Maybe try that instead of dunking straight up and down. We used to do the dunking and Ainsley didn't like it, but she likes the side to side swish thing sooo much better and never swallows water or gets it up her nose. That was one of the best things we learned in our class! They get used to being on their back too, but it does take a bit. Everyone in our class struggled with that.
  • We had our first lesson today too. It was a lot of fun and dd loved it!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"