Babies: 3 - 6 Months

No Solids Yet??

So my LO just had her 4-month check up 2 weeks ago and the doctor told me no solids yet but i see some of my friends who have babies a few weeks behind mine are already starting rice cereal. What's up with that? When did you start your LO on solids? As in like rice cereal and all that.

Re: No Solids Yet??

• I decided to start solids once a day at 5 months.
    My pedi said anytime between 4-6 months was ok and it was totally my preference when.
    She did recommend we start with oatmeal cereal which we did.
  • We started BLW around 6 1/2 months. She only tried a little bit every few days. Her interest picked at 8 months and we now give her food to play with twice a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are waiting until at least six months and plan to do BLW. My pediatrician recommends oatmeal rather than rice cereal if you want to go with cereal.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • What is BLW?
  • My LC told me the World Health Ortaniztion and Academy of Pediatrics recommend 6 months before starting any solids. My pedi left it up to me but said many people wait. LO is almost 5 months but shows little if any interest so we are waiting.
  • gfam89gfam89 member
    My son is 5 months now. He's been showing interest since 3 months but I waited until his 4 month check up. She said as long he is sitting with a little support, he'll be fine. We feed him pureed baby food. He's no fan of the cereal but he can't get enough of the food :)
  • roo1ooroo1oo member
    New studies are indicating earlier introduction of allergenic foods may lead to less food allergies. We introduced solids a bit before 5 months, and made sure to introduce wheat as DH has celiacs. LO was showing a lot of interest in what we were eating. Now at almost 7 months he eats solids 3 times a day but is still mostly FF. Times are a-changing, and there are always new studies being released about introducing solids to a baby, but in general it's best to follow your doctors advice. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • roo1oo said:
    New studies are indicating earlier introduction of allergenic foods may lead to less food allergies. We introduced solids a bit before 5 months, and made sure to introduce wheat as DH has celiacs. LO was showing a lot of interest in what we were eating. Now at almost 7 months he eats solids 3 times a day but is still mostly FF. Times are a-changing, and there are always new studies being released about introducing solids to a baby, but in general it's best to follow your doctors advice. 
    I don't think this pertains to the age that solids are actually introduced. It's more a question of not waiting until after a year to introduce the allergenic foods, as has been the recommendation up until now. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• roo1ooroo1oo member
    roo1oo said:
    I don't think this pertains to the age that solids are actually introduced. It's more a question of not waiting until after a year to introduce the allergenic foods, as has been the recommendation up until now. 
    Yes, it does, there's new studies showing that 4-6 months is the optimal window to introduce common allergens. 

Quote from this article:

One theory to explain why early introduction is important holds that if babies aren't exposed early enough to certain foods, their immune systems will treat them as foreign substances and attack them, resulting in an allergy.

"The body has to be trained in the first year of life," says Katie Allen, a professor and allergist at the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute at Royal Children's Hospital in Australia. (The institute was founded in part by the late Dame Elisabeth Murdoch, mother of Rupert Murdoch, who is chairman of News Corp., which owns The Wall Street Journal.) "We think there's a critical window, probably around 4 to 6 months, when the child first starts to eat solids," she says.

Another possible explanation from some experts for the increase in allergies: As westernized countries have become more hygienic, children don't have the same exposure to germs, which affects the development of the immune system.

image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • TeacherVickyTeacherVicky member
    edited May 2014
    roo1oo said:
    roo1oo said:
    Yes, it does, there's new studies showing that 4-6 months is the optimal window to introduce common allergens. 

Quote from this article:

One theory to explain why early introduction is important holds that if babies aren't exposed early enough to certain foods, their immune systems will treat them as foreign substances and attack them, resulting in an allergy.

"The body has to be trained in the first year of life," says Katie Allen, a professor and allergist at the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute at Royal Children's Hospital in Australia. (The institute was founded in part by the late Dame Elisabeth Murdoch, mother of Rupert Murdoch, who is chairman of News Corp., which owns The Wall Street Journal.) "We think there's a critical window, probably around 4 to 6 months, when the child first starts to eat solids," she says.

Another possible explanation from some experts for the increase in allergies: As westernized countries have become more hygienic, children don't have the same exposure to germs, which affects the development of the immune system.

Interesting, thanks!

Maybe the researchers had not gone this far in their recommendations when we last saw DS's allergist.

ETA: They do claim in the article that more studies are needed to produce conclusive results. So while this may be the way things are headed, I'm not sure that pedis are going to be making these recommendations to parents anytime soon.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Were going to wait until about 5.5 months.  I've heard a saying "food before one is just for fun". 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my pedi said before her 6 month appointment to start but there was no rush. we tried a week before 5 months but she kept spitting it out so i waited another week. she kept grabbing food out of our hands so i knew she was ready. we do oatmeal (this is recommended. by a lot of doctors.) we've tried this once a day, going to up the times of day and then start with purees.  

my nieces started cereal at 3 months because they were tiny and not gaining weight, they were in the 12 percentile for weight. my daughter on the other hand does not have this problem, she is in the 93 percentile for weight so the pedi said there was no rush to start food.

maybe ask your pedi why they told you to wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"