February 2012 Moms
Options

Car ? (Toyota Prius V, Jetta Sportswagen TDI, Mitsubshi Outlander Sport, Mazda CX-5, Kia Sportage)

Hi Ladies,

I recently got a substantial raise at work and DH's car is going to be paid off in a couple of months.  I drive his granny's 95 Honda Accord.  So we've been discussing getting a new car for me.  Do any of you have any of the following cars?  If so, please give me your likes/dislikes about them.

Also, if you have a station wagon, crossover, small/mid size SUV you want to talk about that would be great!

Toyota Prius V

VW Jetta SportsWagen TDI (Diesel)

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

Mazda CX-5

Kia Sportage

TIA!

Re: Car ? (Toyota Prius V, Jetta Sportswagen TDI, Mitsubshi Outlander Sport, Mazda CX-5, Kia Sportage)

• Options
    I had an outlander for a couple years and I liked it, but I'm not like "omg best car ever!" The gas mileage wasn't all that great. I upgraded to a grand Cherokee but if I went with a small suv I would have went with a ford escape.

Eta: I think the CX 5 is mazdas equivalent to ford escapes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had the Outlander Sport for a year and a half and just traded it in for a Nissan Pathfinder. It wasn't really an SUV to me. It was a sporty souped up car. There was hardly any trunk space at all and Audra's convertible seat being in the middle of the backseat took up a lot of space. Once baby #2 came a long and we put a 2nd car seat in the back forget it--there would be absolutely no space at all. The gas milage was pretty good though, I only filled up once a week, maybe a few days over a week. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a Prius and I really like it.  The gas mileage is great!  The only con is that it is small.  With LO's convertible seat in the back there is hardly any room.  The trunk is small too, which makes trips difficult.  I'll probably get something with third row seating when we have a second baby.  
  • Options

I have a Passat, so similar to the Jetta.  The Jetta is a little smaller though.  While I like my car, EVERYTHING is expensive, including oil changes.  My last one, I paid $80.  $80!!!  And I have to take it into the shop to get things like brakes done (I used to be able to have a friend do it for me, but apparently VW's have a computerized system).  So while it's a really nice car, I wouldnt really recommend it. 

DH has a Mitsubishi Galant.  It's a nice car, good gas mileage, and pretty roomy.  

• Options
    We have the Prius V. I love it. It has a nice ride and great gas mileage. We get about 43 mpg which is pretty good considering it is a decent sized car. I can fit the stroller and all of the groceries comfortably in the trunk and the car seat fits nicely as well. I've always had small cars so this feels big to me, but compared to most SUVs its on the smaller size. I am really happy with it.
  • Options
    I don't drive any of those, but bought an SUV back in September. I was looking for a mid size SUV, but after looking at them, didn't think they were big enough for more than 1 kid and all of their stuff.  I ended up getting a Ford Edge and I absolutely love it! It's probably bigger than a mid size SUV, but we love it! Good luck with your decision- new cars are fun! 
    BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The Jetta was the worst car I have ever purchased. Ever. I bought it brand new and had nothing but problems the whole time I had it. Everything from the break lights and headlights going out constantly to the window falling down inside the door. I would drive and the doors would lock and unlock themselves out of the blue. The dashboard lights would be out all the time. It was really odd. I read they have a history of electrical problems though. However, there were no problems as far as reliability. It always ran and was a safe car. They have horrible resale value though. I was offered 5k for it when it was 5 years old, with 80k miles. Everything was fixed and the car was fully loaded (leather, sunroof, you name it) but they simply told me the resale was not good on Volkswagon. That was long but I've always been disappointed in that car.

Toyota was my first car ever - not the prius though. That car I bought used and it never had a problem. Loved it. I have an Audi SUV now and it's amazing but it's on the big side. I wouldn't classify it as small/mid size.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I drive a Sportwagen TDI and I absolutely love it. Best car I've ever owned. 
  • Options

imagechiarellak:
    We have the Prius V. I love it. It has a nice ride and great gas mileage. We get about 43 mpg which is pretty good considering it is a decent sized car. I can fit the stroller and all of the groceries comfortably in the trunk and the car seat fits nicely as well. I've always had small cars so this feels big to me, but compared to most SUVs its on the smaller size. I am really happy with it.

I have a Prius as well and love it. Hoping we can make it work with Baby #2 because I have a commute to work and the mileage is great!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I had a Prius and loved it.  If you're doing a lot of driving or have a decent commute it's awesome.  However, it was too small.  Once I put the double stroller in the trunk there wasn't much more room.  I think the V is significantly larger, though.

I traded it in and I'm now leasing a Nissan Rogue.  I LOVE it - if possible I'd like to buy one when my lease is up.  It's large enough that I can fit both convertible seats with plenty of room and the trunk can fit the double stroller with plenty of room to spare.  Being high up (versus the Prius) makes getting them in and out much easier.  I live 1 mile from work and daycare is only a 10 minute drive so I don't put many miles on my car at all and the higher price of the Prius (still wasn't paid off) wasn't worth the savings in gas for us.

• Options

the CX-5 is brand new this year.  Mazda dropped their CX-7 and are focusing on the 5 as a crossover and 9 as their seven-passenger size.

It is definitely on my short list for new vehicles once we get serious about shopping in a few months.  In fact, it's probably my favorite after sitting in it.

there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • Options
    jacobtaylor1jacobtaylor1 member
    edited September 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"