Parenting
Options

Gay rights history (sad post for those who want to avoid it)

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/06/24/remembering-the-upstairs-lounge-the-u-s-a-s-largest-lgbt-massacre-happened-40-years-ago-today/

Before I read this I had never heard about the UpStairs Lounge massacre or the stonewall riots.

That horrifies me. It sounds like the riots kicked off the whole equal rights movement and the massacre was horrific from a loss of life standpoint.

I wonder how many other marginalized groups were left out of my history lessons.

Had anyone else heard about these? What are some other events that you feel should be in history classes that were left out?

I think the town of Rosewood and the story of Sybil Ludington should be told.

image image

Re: Gay rights history (sad post for those who want to avoid it)

• Options
    Awful. So sad. I had never heard of this.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    @Estwd2‌

Rosewood was a black town that was totally destroyed in riots over several days. Authorities knew about it and didn't intervene.

Sybil Ludington was 16 when she rode twice the distance as Paul Revere on a similar mission.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood_massacre

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_Ludington

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think a lot of history books like to pretend that the North was not racist and very accepting of minorities when they really were not.

I keep thinking back to my American history class where almost everything we talked about was what white men did. We even joked about it at the time, but I really thought it was that the only people powerful enough to do important enough things were men. I thought it was a comment on the past rather than that the parts of our history relating to women and minorities and LBQT individuals were still being left out.

image image
  • Options
    I do know this story. Tragic.
  • Options

Did you learn in history class?

image image
  • Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations for books on history that is traditionally left out?  I would be really interested in reading it.  

This story is insanely tragic, I have never heard of this or the Rosewood story.  I do know of the Sybil Ludington story, but I can't remember where I originally heard of it.  It could have been in american history but I think it's more likely that my mother told me about it.   

2 Beautiful Boys 11.7.03 & 4.23.13
  • Options
    I haven't heard this before. So sad! That picture is terrible.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Options
    Lolapop29 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on history that is traditionally left out?  I would be really interested in reading it.  

This story is insanely tragic, I have never heard of this or the Rosewood story.  I do know of the Sybil Ludington story, but I can't remember where I originally heard of it.  It could have been in american history but I think it's more likely that my mother told me about it.   

I would love to read that book as well. I may go hit the google machine.

image image
  • Options
    There's a book called What My History Teacher Didn't Tell Me or something similar. Let me google and see if I can find a link

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • Options

Did you learn in history class?
    oh no. From an article somewhere.
  • Options
    pobrecita said:

I learned about the stonewall riots in college. I'm surprised so many people haven't heard of it.

I took AP history in high school and didn't have to take another history class.

Now I'm realizing how much I missed.

I know I should've realized it earlier.

image image
  • Options
    This one is pretty horrific - and it's back in local headlines. So proud of the lawyers fighting to do the right thing. Too bad it's half a decade too late: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stinney
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    amedbery said:
    This one is pretty horrific - and it's back in local headlines. So proud of the lawyers fighting to do the right thing. Too bad it's half a decade too late: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stinney
    Oh wow.  That's horrible.

2 Beautiful Boys 11.7.03 & 4.23.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"