Two Under 2
Options

Naps for Baby with Toddler Making Noise

Ok here's my situation. DS Baby is 7 weeks and DD Toddler is almost 18 Months. DD is still in daycare to maintain her routine while I'm on maternity leave. When she's home, DS takes shitty naps bc of the noise she makes. Telling her to be quiet doesn't work. I try bringing him upstairs to his room but the moment I lie him down he wakes up. And I can't sit there for 45 mins soothing him back to sleep with DD downstairs. I've tried carriers for him but they are hit and miss. Basically he wants to be held for naps but if I'm around DD she's making noise and waking him. He's extra fussy of course due to the crappy naps. I totally feel like I'm failing as a mom of 2U2. This is a million times harder than I ever imagined. Please any advice or words of encouragement? I'm feeling a lot of regret and I know that's awful.

Re: Naps for Baby with Toddler Making Noise

• Options
    Do you use a white noise machine? A swing? That might help, but ultimately your DS may just need to learn to sleep thru the noise.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MommyAttyMommyAtty member
    edited May 2014
    I think the issue is soothing him for 45 minutes. I like The Baby Whisperer method. (You can Google it, and it doesn't involve CIO). We used it for DD and are now using it with 3 week old DS. The deal is that he needs to learn to self-soothe and not need to be rocked, nursed, soothed to sleep. Don't get me wrong, it's sometimes tough. With DS, he falls asleep with his bottle in his mouth every stinking time we feed him,and we wake him up for activity time and to finish his feeding. But in the end, it's worth it to stick with the method.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Swing upstairs. DS would wake when I put him in the swing but the swing would soothe him back to sleep pretty easily.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    DS napped in a swing for the first 6 months or so.  It was just easier.  He also napped in the moby at least once per day when he was that young.  And I don't remember DD waking DS up at that age with noise.  I kept his swing downstairs in the dining room and he slept through her all of the time.  I think he'll just have to get used to the noise.
  • Options

Ok here's my situation. DS Baby is 7 weeks and DD Toddler is almost 18 Months. DD is still in daycare to maintain her routine while I'm on maternity leave. When she's home, DS takes shitty naps bc of the noise she makes. Telling her to be quiet doesn't work. I try bringing him upstairs to his room but the moment I lie him down he wakes up. And I can't sit there for 45 mins soothing him back to sleep with DD downstairs. I've tried carriers for him but they are hit and miss. Basically he wants to be held for naps but if I'm around DD she's making noise and waking him. He's extra fussy of course due to the crappy naps. I totally feel like I'm failing as a mom of 2U2. This is a million times harder than I ever imagined. Please any advice or words of encouragement? I'm feeling a lot of regret and I know that's awful.

I am in the exact same situation!! No solutions to offer - just sympathy
  • Options
    MommyAtty said:
    I think the issue is soothing him for 45 minutes. I like The Baby Whisperer method. (You can Google it, and it doesn't involve CIO). We used it for DD and are now using it with 3 week old DS. The deal is that he needs to learn to self-soothe and not need to be rocked, nursed, soothed to sleep. Don't get me wrong, it's sometimes tough. With DS, he falls asleep with his bottle in his mouth every stinking time we feed him,and we wake him up for activity time and to finish his feeding. But in the end, it's worth it to stick with the method.
    [Coming out of lurkdom....] I love the Baby Whisperer, too, but I don't recall if she suggests self soothing at 7 weeks. I think that sounds too young. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"